Evilbay Bidding Frenzy

I noticed an auction I bid on had ended. It was for three 30 round Thompson mags. I did not win, of course. I was somewhat floored at the final bid of $80 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif . The fact that the auction was not pulled early is surprising. I am surprised that happened when the mags could be purchased a bit cheaper from some of the on line venders. I guess it is another case of auction frenzy taking over.

Scott

It happens all the time. I've bid on other things (mostly books and CD's) on Ebay and seen it get out of hand. Many times the bid price goes higher than the retail price of the same item at Amazon or other online business. Frenzy indeed.

Probably the best place to find parts are the boards. Two main that I look at are Subguns and Sturmgewehr. There are a couple others also. The Auction sites are Auctionarms and Gunbroker (the big ones).

As Philohio mentioned, gun shows are great places to pick up stuff.....

Last weekend I picked up a 5-cell pouch (unmarked) in very good condition for $32.00 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

And in Phoenix I found a shotgun dealer who had a box of '28 parts (hammers, pins, firing pin, some new Wolff springs (three of them) and a couple other small parts. $15.00 for the whole box!

Then there is the Cadillac.....this board. Members post stuff as it becomes available on other boards. But you have to be fast as the deals disappear quickly!!!

Happy hunting!

john

QUOTE (anticus @ Dec 15 2004, 12:01 PM)
It happens all the time. I've bid on other things (mostly books and CD's) on Ebay and seen it get out of hand. Many times the bid price goes higher than the retail price of the same item at Amazon or other online business. Frenzy indeed.

This is not the devine provance of ebaYâ„¢ any auction has the makings of and ego war... That is why I always start my auctions off at 99 cents, cuZ I'm trollin for those two egos.....

PhilOhio,

You got that right! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Funny thing I've noticed about auctions (and I've been to many over the years) is that a good portion of the folks who bid on a particular item might not really want the item, they just want the "thrill" of winning. Kinda like hunting for a parking space at the mall, we are all hunters in our own right.

Those who "auction" consist of the people who really want the item and those who (having many problems in their lives) just "want to win".

In order to feel like a winner, they bid the price up beyond the items actual value thus guaranteeing their "superiority" over other bidders. It's kind of pathetic watching them, but some people are like that. It takes all kinds!

Those who attend auctions on a regular basis know exactly what I am talking about.

I've even had some approach me before the bidding is over.....as I drop out they ask me if I won't reconsider (at the realization that they will end up paying for something they don't want!) and a couple who worked their way over to me apparently to visually "see" my responses as they bested my bids (I have a series of canned "faces" for these folks....). I also have had some offer to sell me the item after they win it for more than it is worth, and some bargains can be had here.

One must learn how to "read" these people or else you will spend way more than you need to.

The biggest problems with online auctions is that you can't see whom you are bidding against. It's impossible to "read" their faces and this is precisely why they are such a great way to maximize your return on any given item, but more often than not they are a poor place to get a bargain, as there may be several "winner-wannabes" bidding on a given item.

Once in awhile you'll get lucky. Know what you are bidding on, know the value of that item and set a maximum that you are willing to go. Learn to stop yourself when you reach that number and DO NOT go over!! You will get better deals and burned less often. You'll have more fun, too!

BTW, I bid on lots of stuff.....I bid low and occasionally I get a real deal that I can smile about for a long time!

Ya gotta have fun with it!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

john

That is some interesting info John. My biggest problem/gripe is that when I bid on something, I am usually nowhere near a computer to check the ending status. This usually ends in a loosing auction by a last minute bidder and/or sniper.

I am looking for an oiler and felt disks for a M1/M1A1 Thompson. Does anybody have one for sale. Please let me know.

Can anyone explain to me why the five XX mag pouches and three XXX mag pouches are so expensive. The prices on Ebay are so high, and they always state that they are rare. If they are rare, then why are so many offered for auction. I would love to get one, but the asking prices are way out of my budget. I read about some of you fellas finding mag pouches at gun show for a steal. The only thing I run into at gun shows are over priced mags and no parts or accesories. I guess I will have to get a repro mag bag and pouches. Truthfully, having repros and not originals is not a big deal to me, but it would be nice.

Scott

M1tommygun,

What is high? My last auctions ended with my two three round pouches selling at 75 and 65 bucks. The one for 65 had a little stain on it so I just put a 65 dollar BIN on it. I just paid 100 bucks for two five mag pouches on ebaYâ„¢ that were a variant I have not seen, but I'm new to this so there is a lot that I have not seen. At the gun show I went to on Friday the only canvas to be had was two three mag pouches with nasty looking Seymore(sp?) mags in them for $175.00 per pouch. I also just paid 75 bucks for a drum pouch off ebaYâ„¢ which is the most I've paid but hey you know what the say about a fool and his money......

John,

"The biggest problems with online auctions is that you can't see whom you are bidding against. It's impossible to "read" their faces and this is precisely why they are such a great way to maximize your return on any given item, but more often than not they are a poor place to get a bargain, as there may be several "winner-wannabes" bidding on a given item."

Actually this is not true... In fact you can find out much more about a person on ebaYâ„¢ than at a live auction. You can look thru their past bidding find out how much they pay and what they bid on. You know if they are new and you can take advantage and snipe them, or you can find out if they are the sniping type. If I "really" want an item I check the bidders I'm against to see how I'll proceed with my bidding.

M1 Tommygun:

I just put a new repro. XXX pouch along with 3

magazines on ebay [auction ending Dec.22].

I figure the magazines are worth about $10 to $12 each

and the pouch [new] about $25, so I'll be happy to get

anything over $60 - but who knows?

If you are interested, the item # is 6500140629.

Regards,

Dave

Dave, thanks for the heads up on your auction, I will check it out.

Z3, I guess I can be a little unrealistic about the worth of certain items. If the going price for a particular item is around $75, then I should not be surprised when the go for a bit more. It is just hard for me to see how a piece of canvas can be worth so much money. I am not sure if it is really worth that much, or if is greed and/or willing buyers who have a lot of money to spend. Of course, $175 for a three mag pouch and nasty looking mags is a bit high. For me, $75 to $100 is a lot of money to spend for anything, especially an old mag pouch. I will eventually get one some day.

Scott