A Short Tribute to Actor George Segal

Just a short tribute to actor George Segal who died yesterday at age 87. He played Pete Gusenberg in the 1967 Roger Corman film, "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Just a short clip from one of my favorite scenes in the movie.

George Segal-SVDM.jpg

Edited by gijive

A great scene. Thank you for posting. While very realistic, I think a C drum would be the better choice for the Thompson gun given the length of fire :) I like how the actuator or bolt was cocked when George got out of the car and the actuator stayed in the closed position when he finished firing.

It is my understanding that a thompson drum does not have a hold open built into the drum, like a magazine, so if the drum was empty the actuator would go to the closed position, someone that has fired a thompson using a drum would know if this is correct, I only know what I have read.

It is my understanding that a thompson drum does not have a hold open built into the drum, like a magazine, so if the drum was empty the actuator would go to the closed position, someone that has fired a thompson using a drum would know if this is correct, I only know what I have read.

Bob,

Yes, that is correct. The bolt closes on an empty chamber after the rounds are exhausted in the original Thompson drum magazine.

I think TD's comment was referring to Hollywood actually getting it right.

Usually in the movies they get it wrong and show someone walking around with a drum and the actuator in the forward position indicating it's empty.

Hi Chuck,

I meant to wish you a happy birthday yesterday. Hope you had a good day, and I also hope well all see you at an event later this year.

David

Thanks, Dave. Hope to see you as well.

Great actor and a good movie and they never set foot in Chicago to film it all back lot and stage stuff. At least in Untouchables on a larger scale they had to make the trip.I watched that one for the better part of 30 plus years on Valentines day and did the reenactment for China Club.with Bill Helmer and Rich Crowe... I was able to empty a 50 rd drum and the crowd jumped when the gun went off. I guess many never heard a Thompson in full auto in closed quarters. Every Stembridge blank Performed Well. good times.Ron K.

RVaughn.PNG

Along with George Segal, Robert "Napoleon Solo" Vaughn played Major Krueger, assigned to defend or destroy the Remagen Bridge.

The sound effects included some of the same used in "Combat"; you can hear Saunders Thompson in a few scenes.

Edited by mnshooter

Like Objective Burma. i think they recorded many sounds and flipped them from film to film when needed much like airplane engine and crash sounds.And i always like the clicking of the Glock trigger ten times to show its empty Duh after first pull, on empty it does not go back.Like the 1911 oh click click I am empty.The 30 cal and 50 cal belt feeds the most.

they have to keep it interesting. And how many times do you check a gun to make sure it's loaded for a robbery. About 3 times.RON K.

post-504-0-06227000-1617592965_thumb.gif

Like Objective Burma. i think they recorded many sounds and flipped them from film to film when needed much like airplane engine and crash sounds.And i always like the clicking of the Glock trigger ten times to show its empty Duh after first pull, on empty it does not go back.Like the 1911 oh click click I am empty.The 30 cal and 50 cal belt feeds the most.

they have to keep it interesting. And how many times do you check a gun to make sure it's loaded for a robbery. About 3 times.RON K.

To quote Sean Connery in The Untouchables in 1987, the Canadian farmhouse scene: "Did you check it?" ("Yeah"). "Then LEAVE IT ALONE!"

It's like on TV, Combat vs The Gallant Men, all the GI and German gun sounds were opposite