Bren MkI Dented Case Mouths

Hi All,

I'm new to the Bren Gun. I'm running an old 1940 Inglis on Privi 150SP and 180 FMJ. It runs nicely on gas setting "1" (smallest dot). I'm getting about 2 out of 3 case mouths dented inward. I'd like to reload the brass 1 or 2 times. Is there any way to reduce the number of dented case mouths?

Another topic: Does anyone shoot the steel case Wolf with the bi-metal case. I think this is just steel case with a copper wash. Thoughts?

BTW, the gun is fun to shoot. Only rim-locked one magazine. I really like how small it gets when you remove the barrel. It fits right into a rather short case.

Thanks,

Grasshopper

Hi All,

I'm new to the Bren Gun. I'm running an old 1940 Inglis on Privi 150SP and 180 FMJ. It runs nicely on gas setting "1" (smallest dot). I'm getting about 2 out of 3 case mouths dented inward. I'd like to reload the brass 1 or 2 times. Is there any way to reduce the number of dented case mouths?

Another topic: Does anyone shoot the steel case Wolf with the bi-metal case. I think this is just steel case with a copper wash. Thoughts?

BTW, the gun is fun to shoot. Only rim-locked one magazine. I really like how small it gets when you remove the barrel. It fits right into a rather short case.

Thanks,

Grasshopper

You may try fitting the brass catcher bag onto your gun.

That may help keep the casings from bouncing off the front of the trigger guard.

Richard

Hi All,

I'm back. It is a 1940 Inglis C&R. Runs like a top. I put 250rnds of 150gr SP thru it on Monday w/o a hick-up.

I'd like to find a brass catcher. I've not been able to find one. IMA is out of them. I do remember seeing them but at the time I had no Bren.

BTW. Spent some quality time on the trigger Monday. At 150 yards 2 round bursts on IPSC size steel was a breeze and I had just dropped a new barrel on the gun w/o sighting it in. I did much better than the M60's and a minigun that came out. As soon as this corvid-19 stuff is not so intense, I'll get some time on paper @ 200 yards to get things sighted.

Back to the dents. It seemed that I had fewer dented mouths with the 150gr SP but they were still present. The gas setting is on the smallest dot (I hope that is the smallest hole!).

I'll keep my eyes open for a brass catcher.

Thanks for the help,

Grasshopper

As it’s a C&R, how many return springs are fitted and what length?

As you’ve fitted another barrel have you checked the head space?

What serial number is it? Being a 1940 it should be quite early in the low M serial number range. I have in my collection M93, M177 and M244, M93 has the original BSA supplied woodwork and Bipod which was nice.