Ebay Frame

Hey, Anybody interested in dressing thier 27A1 Semi, this looks like a nice frame. Probably go sky high ( with 6 days to go), but you never know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...2&category=4720

Cheers, Zamm

If those bidders would learn to use a service like eSnipe, and not run the bid up on the first day of the dang auction, some luck sod would likely win it for $30.00 (instead of $800). Of course, then the seller would find some reason not to sell. This is why parts have gone sky high!

Unlike ebay, real auctions do not end until the bidding stops. Those sniping services only further compromise the already flawed system. As far as Thompson items go on ebay, it is the same two, or three, bidders who constantly buy the same merchandise, while biding against one another. They rush to hit the reserve price instead of abstaining and allowing the item to be relisted at a lower reserve, or no reserve. These folks must be hording duplicate parts, (the kind of parts that do not wear out), for some reason only known to themselves

Arthur,

I have watched ebay for quite a while, and you are right about the 2 or 3 bidders. However, the one bidder (antonio2) who routinely wins most everything big has been made "not a registered user", probably for violating some stupid ebay rule, or he resigned his membership (yeah, right). The good news is most items should start to go for about 75% of what they have been going for (my estimation). Although, I have yet to see this pan out.....

What worrys me is if this bidder (and others like him, heard he is a Doc in Chicago) are just buying this stuff for investment. I do not know him. Investors are getting advice from somewhere to buy "collectabiles", as they may return well for their investment. This happened with collector cars - prices spiraled up and peaked and then crashed (to about 40% of their peak) in 1991. All of us that needed parts had to pay inflated parts prices, than after the crash they were plentiful again. If indeed these bidders are investing, look for prices to spiral until Something causes the crash Sometine in the future. Guessing when is the trick. The prices now are just starting to get back to the peaks 12 years ago.

Do we want to keep investers out of the game? Don't know that you can. I would prefer to shoot these things, rather than just collect them for investment. I guess buy and hold may be the advice for now.... wish I had more than a dummy 28!

Mike,

I believe he is still registered. You had the spelling of the screen name wrong, it is Antonia2. Last letter is an A not an O. I was selling some stuff on Ebay and he emailed me about other parts availability. I emailed back, but he didn't respond. That seems to be the main complaint about him in his feedback.

No doubt he is one of the reasons the Ebay prices are very high of late. Good deal for the Thompson parts sellers but unfortunately it artificially inflates the prices for legitimate collectors.

In response to an earlier post about parting out the IMA 1928 kits, I agree that is what is happening. There were very few 1928 parts kits offered in recent years until IMA offered the current crop a few weeks ago. Several Ebay sellers must have bought several kits and are parting them out. The brand new finned barrels with compensator and front grip are exactly as described in the IMA advertisement. The seller of these parts usually starts the bidding about $100.00 highr than he paid IMA for them. If he sells the components separately he is making a few hundred per kit.

A couple of brand new condition 1928A1 grip frames went recently for well over $800.00 each. Purchased separately from the IMA they go for $550.00.

"Good deal for the Thompson parts sellers but unfortunately it artificially inflates the prices for legitimate collectors." Not flaming, but do you have a definition for this? Why is the buyer not ligitimate? btw I bought several things from IMA, and will sort out which I want to keep, and the rest will be ebaY™ bound..... Hopefully Antonia2 will still be around... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Z3BigDaddy,

Thanks for pointing that out. It was probably a poor choice of words on my part. I have purchased and sold items on Ebay also and am sure Antonia2 is a legitimate collector. Having follwed his bids in recent months, though, I noticed that the prices paid for certain items can be found elsewhere for considerably less.

Yes, I have paid too much for items also, just because I had to have it. I was referring to the trend of certain Ebay bidders to pay whatever it takes to get the item regardless of current market value in the collectors realm. When I meant legitimate collectors I was referring to the network of Thompson enthusiasts that keep in contact through other channels than Ebay. Paying too much for items because you have the wherewithal does, in my opinion, artificially inflate the price.

There is nothing wrong with keeping what you need and selling the rest, hopefully at a profit. As pointed out by other memebers of this list, though, the same buyers continually bid against each other for the same items, thereby continually driving up the price. If you have to have it, fine, otherwise a little research and networking can usually find the same item for generally less than Ebay.

I hope this clarifies my previous post.

Thank for your for answer and understanding my question.... I understand about 25% of what is said here, but that is more than when I started lurking a while ago... There is obiviously a ton-o-info imbedded in this board, as well as some great "contrasting" personalities....

Thanks to the moderator and everyone on the m/b.....

Blaine

Aka Z3BigDaddy

I can vouch for the idea of crashes. I used to enjoy bidding on Gilbert Chemistry sets. The prices were sky high a year or two ago, but I noticed now there doesn't seem to be as many bidders. I'd be lucky to get back a third of what I paid for these. I've also noticed there there aren't as many bidders on the Japanese blowbacks.