Savage Vertical Grip

It has a sanded refinished look to me. Note how the "S" marking does not have serifs. I believe the "S" marking on known original Savage grips have the old style serifs. Those with original Savage fore grips can chime in.

My concern is the lack of a sharper angle at the top front of the grip, maybe due to sanding? The other concern is the lack of serifs on the stamped S. Maybe with whatever finish someone put on the grip it is hard to see the serifs? I think the grip has a chance, but I would have to see it in person. If I was purchasing it I would definitely insist on a return privilege. Not the best comparison (below) since my Savage grip is rather worn and beat up. Maybe someone with a nicer Savage grip can post pictures?

Comparison-1.jpg Comparison-2.jpg

Comparison-3.jpg Comparison-4.jpg

Edited by gijive

Nice job but I agree with TD I have done a lot of research on that little S and have never seen one that size in that font. Presenting it in the wax paper is a nice touch though.

unsanded original- mine----ive held (2) original finish/ unsanded grips in my hands and compared them. they were not a perfect match. each grip is unique, so dont get anal on very subtle differences. over all it should look like the ones pic'd below

C0DE4Vw.jpg

xNDQFYz.jpg

Wuyna52.jpg

Edited by huggytree

im 100% sure this is a West Hurley grip who have been forged to looks like a Savage grip. Its too wide, the holes are larger, the top section is way wider (from the side, the wider line that goes across)

the fact itself that is wrapped in a greased paper is the first sign of a forgery. To my knowledge they have never been supplied as replacement parts lol. bad for who is bidding 300$,

Edited by indochinavet

It also looks like it's milled out for a 3/4" not 1/2" mounting plate. Todd in Oregon

Todd,

I believe the rounded edges of the grip mount slot (apparently from sanding) contribute to making the slot look wider. The left and right images below are not to scale, but when I superimpose the images on top of one another in Photoshop, the milled slots appear to be the same size. The finish that has been placed on the grip in question makes it difficult to see the details of the stamped S.

Comparison-5.jpg

This seller goes by several names - like 1934woodies, 1940ford, and similar. always seems to have a serious spelling problem. Look at his other stuff. He handmade stocks and was calling them 1921 buttstocks at one time.

Do your homework... and I'm not bidding against you!

If I had 10 Colt Thompsons, I would be able to tell you the number on every one of them. I have A friend who had a Shelby Mustang while in college together, he can still tell you the vin number after 40 years. The ebay seller has no clue as to the serial number. I would be highly skeptical, but that is just me. Edited by ppgcowboy

This seller goes by several names - like 1934woodies, 1940ford, and similar. always seems to have a serious spelling problem. Look at his other stuff. He handmade stocks and was calling them 1921 buttstocks at one time.

Do your homework... and I'm not bidding against you!

He doesn't usually have good pictures of anything either. I bought a M1 trigger frame and a M1A1 riveted type grip mount bar from him in the past year. It's hard to tell if he is being vague or really has no idea.

I've talked on the phone with him once before and he sounds like he is Hispanic but I'm not 100% sure. His English isn't the best which may be why his spelling isn't great. I've got no bone in either way as I am also pretty skeptical about the vertical grip and would definitely want to be able to return it if it didn't prove to be legit. It is also odd that it is a buy now instead of a auction.

Andrew

Edited by Adg105200