Choice of weapons: John Dillinger & Clyde Barrow

If you had your choice, which one would you take in all 1930s outlaw circumstances- Dillinger's or Barrow's ? Always been a subject of debate in the outlaw- historian's world.

1921 Colt Thompson AC or 1918 BAR

The actual answer is neither. They both preferred the Colt 1911, JD the more powerful Super 38, Clyde whatever he could get his hands on . ( according to the families ) Much better tools of the trade.

DSCN7741.JPG

I'd go with a slinged Thompson, sans the butt stock for confined space combat while inside the bank.

Once in the car, switch to a whipit short barreled BAR for open combat against period heavy bodied cars.

Of course, what you can get your hands on has a lot of credence as well, you gotta eat. :-)

My 2 cents,

Darryl

Well, if your going to do a heist you would probably at first want some stealth. The 1911 is great for that, otherwise the Thompson without the buttstock. For a shoot-out, the BAR would be nice to have on your side. You are talking about 3 of the finest firearms to ever come into being, how bout all three!

Mike Hammer

Having owned, as in past tense... all three, agree with the above answers. sort of like the USMC fire team, complimentary effects.

Pistol for close in one handed heist, car guy with BAR for overall 'overwatch' protection, and a TSMG in the bank with me. however I prefer a stock, cut down for fast work (why the M4 is now adustable). only hits count and using the stock in either center chest and looking 'over' the sights work well close up, and locking the short stock under the arm works wel. "No" stock only works in Hollywood and with Gangsta's... lot of fire and lots of innocent bystanders getting sprayed. If I only had one, it would be one like "Red Mike" Edson recommended to the USMC. A full stock 1918 BAR with the barrel cut down to around 16inches or so. Very handy in the jungle. As accurate up to around 300 yards, and deafening... the noise alone would make most run. 45 vs 30-06... go with the 30-06 anyday.

Sandman1957

I agree with above using all three for different occasions. They are all great guns for different purposes even today.

Of course they did make some mistakes because neither man lived to be middle age. But for their short lives we are still interested in their lives today.

Frank

BAR scattergun, OK then , hadn't thought that way. Qualifies the question too.

Rather subjective, if not just historically fun question. Nothing to serious- Helps out cabin fever around the country now.

Me- The Thompson cause they are so damn cool.

Against Barrow, I'd of done the same as Hamer did, bring a Colt Monitor to the dog-fight. Of course the party was over in the first 3-5 seconds anyway. Hit in the left side of your noggin with a Rem 35 does the trick every time. I got to personally spend about an hour and a half inspecting the B&C death car in Vegas- That 34 Ford had to be rocking ! BARs, Monitor.... ouch.

I've often wondered if Dillinger even ever fired the 07 Lebman conversion, but yes a very good choice the " forgotten " Winchester.

Yep, but might as well have one of these then.... Baby Face Nelson weapon, FA too. Came with like a 39 rd magazine, maybe 20 forgot.

A scatter-gun Thompson, never thought of that- Stick a Cutts on the end. I'm really surprised I've never thought of that !

Lebman_Pistol_3__005.jpg

I can dig but theres pics of someones "henchmen" posted up all around his get away car with chopped down thompsons. One was chopped down to about 4" .

They showed them on a show on the history channel about 12 years ago ( when it was worth watching)

I tried jumping the old hard drive I had with the pics/prints of the FA 1911 setup. No luck, not a "how to" but detailed prints/personal machinist notes.

I don't believe I've ever seen a chopped chopper. I was looking at the 1911 set up about 3 weeks ago, I think it was from the 30s. See if I have it on favorites-

I'd go for the BAR "carbine" too,

I don't have a BAR but I do have a Garand

The power and accuracy of the 30-06 is way above the Thompson

The sound alone of 30-06 automatic fire would convince most people to get their heads down or run the other way

Edited by nobby

IMHO, a BAR reworked with a 10-12" barrel/gas system would be the nastiest.

Yes the gun would take a beating BUT, it would probably have a higher life expectancy than yourself.

Even with that short of a system using the surplus/stolen150gr ammo at the time you'd still get around 2100-2200FPS. Good enough for any cop or car.

About the BAR, when the police jumped Clyde, both in Platte City, Mo. and Dexter, IA, when the shooting started, they ( police) were answered with a BAR.

The cops sorta knew they were up the shit creek. K-Boom, K-Boom, K-Boom, K-Boom. ( think rapid.)

I can't really think of a circumstance where Dillinger would of used a BAR, but the Thompson intimidation factor sure played hell in bank robberies.

Not counting Nelson of course who had no problem firing a Thompson inside a marble built bank- There is your going hearing issue !

I guess Dillinger Sr. thought that was the weapon of choice-

Edited by OCM

The famous AOWood weapon of choice, that day anyway- Says Colt 38 on it. I guess that is JD's weapon of choice.

Wood gun replicia blowup.jpg

Edited by OCM