What Is Your Favorite Thompson Movie?

Did the Duke use a Thompson in "They Were Expendable"? (1945 btw)

I know he did in "Return to Bataan" (1945). I think that is the only film he used one in.

Anybody remember " Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" 1974, by Sam Pekinpah?

Real good Thompson scenes, Gig Young mowing down a line of folks with what I believe was a 28', with vertical foregrip.

And the end is a business end perspective shot of a Thompson barrel dumping a mag. Real nice, have not seen it in quite a long time, would love to see what models were used.

Cheers, Zamm

Bloody Mama, with a very young Robert DeNiro,Shelly Winters, Pat Stroud, Bruce Dern and a full cast of Thompson's! It's a old Roger Corman flick so you know lots of blood and nudity.

I seem to remember seeing a John Wayne movie back in the '60's where he came over a hill firing a Tommygun in each arm at the Japs (I tried that once, that was a blast). Does any remember these movie at all? P.S. I was shooting at tin cans incase any one was wondering. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Also, The Wrath of God, circa 1972 with Robert Mitchum.

Best scene: Mitchum (dressed a s a catholic priest), walks into a cantina in Old Mexico circa 1925, where a bunch of banditos are raping, piilaging, and murdering.

Head bandito asks for Mitchums priest credentils. Mitchum replies, "credientials?, I have very good credentials", sets down his big carpet bag, opens it up, whips out a '21 sans buttstock, and hoses the place down.

The TSMG's in this flick were possibly still from the MGM collection before JCE got his hands on them

Doug

yep the 8245 numbered gun ended up in phx,from there who know's,and i sold #3965 years ago...i still know who has it but its not for sale....a nice piece of thompson movie history...................and not many left like that.....take care,ron

just think frankie wielded a mp-40 in "von-ryan's express",and a thompson in "never so few"

i figured he liked the tommy better.................

What year did JCE acquire the MGM collection?

I know he still was selling the MGM collection catalogues as late as 1973, as that is when I got mine. Of course, knowing earl, he would still be selling catalogues long after all the stuff was sold! :-D

Doug

The one with me in it.

Silly question http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Jr

Arthur,

Since you seem pretty knowledgeable about the late J. Curtis Earl and his marketing schemes, what is your take on his catalogue describing the different types of compensators? I used to have that catalogue, but unfortunately discarded it sometime in the seventies. Didn't he fabricate some unusual compensator and claim it was the first type used on the Colt guns? I don't recall all the details, but I'm sure you may know what I'm referring to.

Gi, I know what your talking about! WOW, I haven't heard anybody speak about that in years! Indeed, J. Curtis Earl did cause some confusion in relation to the various Compensators, and their years of production. However, I also recall a dealer back east that was further messing the issue up on the different models of Comps. That brings back a lot of memories..No, I don't know whether Earl made up an unusual one or not.

What Earl did was to make 1st pattern unmarked Cutts compensators and not care if the world confused them for original Colt ones. The confusion about how many models of Cutts compensators were made for Colt TSMGs may stem from Cox's catalog where he apparantly includes the sight fitted to all the 1921 guns as the first type compensator. He also does not account for the third pattern Cutts with bullet trademark over Cutts diamond on top of the compensator.

Two other movies which I think deserve to be tied for second place are U-571(2000), with Mathew McConaughey, Bill Paxton and Harvey Keitel, and The Untouchables (1987), with Kevin Costner, Robert DeNiro, and Sean Connery. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Happy viewing, Walter

Regarding those supposedly 1st model comps; they were crude boxy looking things, not at all what you would call 1st pattern unmarked Cutts.

But when I first looked at Earl's catalog back in the early 70's I sure didn't know they were frauds. It wasn't until I got and read Roger Cox's book that I learned the rest of the story, at least as far as Roger knew, anyway, I guess.

Back to the movies, one of my favorite Tommygun films is...Home Alone 1 and 2. "Take THAT ya filthy animal."

No, seriously, I just thought of that one. I like "Objective Burma" with Errol Flynn, if only because it was produced by Warner Brothers.

And THEY had the BEST sounding sound effects for their guns. Very sexy.

I have always noticed that each movie studio, MGM, Warner Bros. RKO,

20th Century,etc. used their own distinctive sounding gun shots in their movies. And you can tell one from another if you watch and compare them. Sounds crazy, maybe, but it's easy to hear the difference.

Am I the only one who's ever thought about this??

Charlie

QUOTE (Charlie @ Jan 17 2004, 03:35 AM)

I have always noticed that each movie studio, MGM, Warner Bros. RKO,
20th Century,etc. used their own distinctive sounding gun shots in their movies.  And you can tell one from another if you watch and compare them.  Sounds crazy, maybe, but it's easy to hear the difference.
Am I the only one who's ever thought about this??

Charlie,

I am a big WWII buff and I guess I'm as crazy as you are. I've noticed the different gun shot sound effects varied from studio to studio. In some cases the same "patterns" of sound effects can be heard in movies over the years.

One such example is the old televsion show Combat! The post-production sound work was done at MGM Studios, although the show was a joint production by Selmur Corp. and ABC, much of the filming and technical work was preformed at MGM. The distinctive sounds of the various weapons and ricochet effects can be heard in several MGM film productions prior to and subsequent to Combat! One that come to mind is "The Bridge at Remagen."

You are not the only obsessed sound effects junkie.

some thompsons sound like a 30 cal belt feed in some movies,

man are you guys forgetting: "bataan"take that you dirty rotten rat's"

tracy in the early days printed in the newsletter alot of thompson movies..........

not all of them but i am sure at least 100

its just hard to find one showing them putting one together,however the untouchable series:1960 forward,

had a good one.based on the "scaramuzzo thompson's.

anyhow i like them all.............take care,ron