Colt Potato Digger Ammo Box Question

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (obviously), firearms of all types, US militaria, knives and edged weapons, naval vessels, aircraft, playing music...the list goes on.

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:45 AM

Greetings, everyone. I had the amazing luck recently of finding an ammunition box for the Model 1895 machine gun at an army-navy store for a mere $19.99. I was walking to the register with a Marine Corps M1941 pack set and M1942 bandage pouch when I saw this just sitting there on a stack of M19A1 ammo boxes. Naturally, I couldn't just leave it there. So, it came home with me. It is what I understand to be the early kind without the carrying handle on the end.

Attached File  01.jpg   177.75K   15 downloads

Attached File  02.jpg   179.2K   14 downloads

Attached File  03.jpg   179.86K   13 downloads

Attached File  04.jpg   154.37K   13 downloads

Attached File  05.jpg   180.34K   13 downloads

Attached File  06.jpg   133.35K   12 downloads

As you can see, the box is in remarkable condition its age. It has, however, suffered some damage to the lip along each edge of the sliding lid. I would like to restore the functionality of the lid by splicing in some appropriate wood and trimming it to size. If anyone knows what kind of wood this box is made of, it would be greatly appreciated. I suspect it is pine, and that would be convenient as I have some scrap old growth pine to hand. But, I would like additional opinions as to whether that is the case or it is some other kind of wood.

#2 jl7422

jl7422

• Regular Group
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

If it were me, I'd leave it as-is. Unless you're very good with wood, the "splice" will show, and be more of a detriment than an addition to the presentation of the piece. Consider the missing wood "historic patina" and enjoy it as found.    

#3 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (obviously), firearms of all types, US militaria, knives and edged weapons, naval vessels, aircraft, playing music...the list goes on.

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:50 PM

I am not talking about splicing in wood to patch the chunk missing from top edge of the vertical piece of the box. That I am leaving as-is. What I am intending to repair is the lip along each edge of the lid itself, which runs in slots cut in the inside of the vertical pieces. The repair would involve carving out wood along each edge, gluing in an oversize piece of stock in the carved-out area, and trimming it down by various means until the stock is of the proper dimensions to slide into the slots, thus duplicating the now broken-off lips which used to be along each edge of the lid.

Edited by Big Al, 27 December 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#4 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:25 AM

I could sure use that box for my Colt M1914 Digger I have coming....

#5 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:20 PM

I saw that Digger in your post! Congrats to you, Got Uzi! Unfortunately, I am not interested in selling the box. I rather like it, and it is in a way my excuse to get a Digger of my own someday.

#6 m3bobby

m3bobby

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 261 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:35 AM

Rather than repair it, could you not leave as is but have a number of reproductions copied from it. Id imagine there would be a market for a good quality repro. I know Id rather use a repro and keep an original safe.

#7 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 748 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:05 AM

I would be in for a repo box

#8 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2910 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:13 AM

Big Al,

If every $20.00 part that you have accumulated so far will necessitate buying a machine gun to go with it, you will probably have the largest MG collection in the world some day.

M3bobby,

I like your idea of using the box as a pattern to make some repro's to knock around.

Jim C

#9 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

Big Al,

If every $20.00 part that you have accumulated so far will necessitate buying a machine gun to go with it, you will probably have the largest MG collection in the world some day.

Jim C

Only half-joking, Jim. That's what I say about buying bayonets and cartridge belts.

Rather than repair it, could you not leave as is but have a number of reproductions copied from it. Id imagine there would be a market for a good quality repro. I know Id rather use a repro and keep an original safe.

That is an interesting idea, m3bobby. I will give that some serious consideration.

#10 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:22 PM

Alrighty. After much thought, I decided that a reproduction is perfectly within my capabilities. As a first step, I drew up the box's components in CAD. This is just an initial draft. I will dimension and label it further.

Attached File  Potato Digger Ammo Box CAD Drawing.jpg   127.35K   13 downloads

#11 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Alrighty! The drawings and quantity take-off for materials are finished. I will be going to a local lumber yard today to select a wood. I will probably go with yellow pine, unless anyone knows different.

#12 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

Im waiting to know pricing.

#13 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

Well, I went to two lumber yards close by me and they did not have suitable material. I will keep looking.

#14 Adg105200

Adg105200

• Board Donor
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Ww2, Thompsons & many other guns, hunting, fishing, tools, woodworking

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

Well, I went to two lumber yards close by me and they did not have suitable material. I will keep looking.

Got any sawmills nearby? That's what I do probably about 90% of the time for my projects (unless it's for plywood of course) because they have just about every type of wood, and it's way cheaper than Home Depot or other lumber yards even with the extra couple bucks for them to plane it for me. Not that pine is expensive haha.

Andrew

#15 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, Andrew. That will be my next move.

#16 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 686 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

Find me a nice Marlin box and I'll swap ya a Colt box.

A couple years ago a guy repro'd some marlin boxes and IIRC they were around $150?  I believe he sold them all, but I think they were Marlin pattern?

Looks to me like they are poplar, not pine?  Menards would have everything including the 2x4 for the end piece I think.  Home depot, doubtful, but possible.

#17 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:43 AM

Whats the difference between the Marlin and Colt boxes?

#18 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:02 AM

The height at which it sits in the tripod to feed the gun (higher on the colt if put into a marlin tripod bracket), and the slots are narrower where it mounts to the tripod.  I am sure there are others I haven't taken much notice of, but those are the obvious when trying to put a Colt box onto a Marlin tripod......they don't really fit.   I'd guess (since I don't have a colt tripod here) that the marlin boxes fit on the colt tripods, but sit low?  HTH

#19 Big Al

Big Al

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Find me a nice Marlin box and I'll swap ya a Colt box.

A couple years ago a guy repro'd some marlin boxes and IIRC they were around $150?  I believe he sold them all, but I think they were Marlin pattern?

Looks to me like they are poplar, not pine?  Menards would have everything including the 2x4 for the end piece I think.  Home depot, doubtful, but possible.

If you could remember that man's name and his contact info, I would be interested in talking with him to get some pointers.

#20 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 686 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

The thread was here, or part of it?  https://1919a4.com/s...rlin-digger-box

I don't have any contact info, but others here did purchase some and may be able to provide info?  HTH