Removing Kahr Front Grip Mount

I am looking for the best way to remove the front grip mount on a Kahr 27. I spent a few hours on it, and it kicked my ass.

I tried using wood blocks fitted around the nose of the receiver, clamped in a heavy 6" vise. I made a clamp that clamps to the grip mount with a long threaded rod. I then placed a large weight with a hole thru the center on the rod. Sort of a sliding hammer type set up, a simple version of Doug Richardson's grip mount remover.

After this failed I tried applying heat to the mount and nose section. I wasn't real brave on applying the heat, I didn't want to get to carried away. Every time I tried the sliding hammer it just pulled the receiver and blocks. After all this I think I might have, just maybe, moved the mount 1/32". Any ideas, suggestions, or comments?

KJ

Kilroyjones,

I have a Kahr receiver (with gripmount) that I bought from Kahr (through my FFL.)

I also tried to remove the gripmount but after only a few minutes of trying, I noticed that the mount was solid tight that I would not be able to get it out.

Just by chance, PK called me in regards to my gun he was fixing. I asked him about the gripmount and he said that it would be very hard to remove it myself. He said that he had to use a special press to remove them.

Maybe if you contact PK, he could give you more info about it.

Norm