Thompson "cap Submachine Guns"

Has anyone actually handled one of these Thompson cap guns on the market these days? I'm kicking around the idea of one simply because I can bring it to air shows, displays, etc, without the legal hassle. I know that they're made of pot metal, but aside from that, what do you think? Thanks in advance. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Edited by LSU Tiger

Chopper 28, The MGC Thompson is (or was) approved for importation in the 1960's. They are legal to own and "shoot" with the original caps/cartridges...No problems with the ATFE on this one...

Yes, as far as I know the Thompson is still rented out..But that's always subject to change...

Chopper 28, The only problem that chitowngangster would have is that Canadian customs would seize his "Thompson"when they saw it. As long as he had a red muzzle cap on the front when he crossed the U.S border, no problems with customs or the ATFE..I live in Washington state, they hate fullautos here but these replicas are legal...

chitowngangster, No. No special permits are required it's just pay and shoot (well it's a little more complicated than that but no big deal)..And yes I have seen Japanese lined up to shoot any guns that they can!!!

They may have been legal when they were imported into this country in the 60's and 70's. I don't think you can in this day and time take a dummy gun and CONVERT it into a full auto firing blank gun. And on top of that CONVERTING dummy drum magazines with no internals into live firing 39 round magazines, blanks or not, is treading on thin ice if you ask me.

Yes it's an old story, when you tell a person that he or she cannot have something, they desire it more than ever! (Forbidden fruit) The Japanese love guns but they are restricted to modelguns,airsoft deactivated realguns and some shotguns and a few privately owned hunting rifles..Very strictly controlled people there....

Chopper 28, what we are talking about here is not a true blank firing gun...It uses special machined brass "cartridges" that use 7mm caps as the "powder" it cannot be made to fire anything but these cartridges...and these are still legal to import...

As far as firing the "real" guns in Vegas, there is a place on Tropicana Blvd. that has a large selection to choose from. As I recall, they are: Thompson M1A1, MP40, M3 Grease Gun, AK47, CAR15, MAC10, MP5, maybe more that I'm forgetting. I fired the MP40 there, lots of fun. Also fired the Tommy; it was not running well. It was hitting double on "single"; also jammed a lot on full auto. You do 2 mags worth of ammo to shoot with each gun, and they have the mags pre-loaded. When was there 5 years ago I believe it was $30 per gun. You sign a release form and in you go!

They do want you to get in and get out, as in shooting both mags off quickly. I took my time both trips. It's your money. I hope this helps.

Hi SgtMartin, I do have some video of a MGC M1 carbine "firing" infact, I have videos of the M2 version as well. They appear to be a nice replicas of the M1/M2 although, I have heard that the bolts sometimes break if you where to fire them often enough...The stock appears to be a real carbine stock. The recievers are ABS plastic. There are at least 2 versions of the M1, the early "paper cap" type with the solid brass cartridges that you stuff with the paper caps (4-5 " cap blisters" per cartridge) in the hollow nose of the cartridge. And the later type, that have the CP (Cap Piston) machined brass 4 piece cartridges that you put 7mm plastic caps into. (this is the one to have) By the way, did you know that the Japanese modelgun manufacturer Hudson, makes a replica of the M1 Garand? it's expensive but it's cool..

MP 40,

Thanks so much for the info! as for the garand, ive seen it. but i think it was around $900, which is slightly expensive for me.

Is there any way you could post the m1 videos on the your site or send them to me?oh ,and where would be a good resource for pictures.

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Chopper needs to check things out before he blurts out. I know he is looking out for the best interest of others,but

the model gun is just that, a model. A glorified, FULL AUTO, yes FULL auto cap gun. As far as "converting" a real parts kit into a real blank firing dummy gun................... Probably a big , big NO.NO. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

QUOTE (Chopper28 @ Feb 27 2004, 11:25 PM)
They may have been legal when they were imported into this country in the 60's and 70's. I don't think you can in this day and time take a dummy gun and CONVERT it into a full auto firing blank gun. And on top of that CONVERTING dummy drum magazines with no internals into live firing 39 round magazines, blanks or not, is treading on thin ice if you ask me.

Chopper28, do you have problems reading?

The guys are talking about CAP firing model guns NOT blank firing dummy or dewat guns.

Do you know how potentially dangerous your ill informed opinions are?

Mr General Public might just happen accross this thread, read your posts and think "Jesus, these guys are converting replica guns into real machine guns" He tells his friends about this shocking discovery, they all tell theirs and before you know it, it's on the evening news with everybody jumping on the politicaly correct bandwagon to try and ban anything that even looks like a gun..

I don't think any of us would appreciate it if we had to hand in our model guns to be destroyed thank you very much...

Edited by Ben

Enjoy your toy guns all you want. Build all the high cap mags you can get your hands on. Have a rousing game of cops and robbers. Personally I put my toys down when I was about 12 years old. The real thing is much more fun.

for the record, i have a deac, and even though i cant fire it (DUE TO IT BEING ILLEGAL TO HAVE LIVE SMGS) i still love it to bits.

i also just ordered a pfc 'cap' M1 Carbine that is in the mail currently. which i can see also to be a prized possesion. (heres the exact one)

i may not be a child anymore, but i still love playing with my 'toys'...

hey guys,

where's the best place to get one of the 'cap' guns? i want to get either a display thompson with working parts or one of the thompson cap guns. any suggestions to what is better? any major differences (besides one fires :-) and yes, for the record, i can't afford a 'real' thompson that fires right now, so one of these will have to do!

brian

Thank You, PhilOhio! It took two pages of posts to get an answer to my question. As to where to look, I've seen them on eBay for $400 and up. The higher prices for the M-1A1 version.