Kahr Thompsons And 45 Super

Are the Kahr's able to safely handle the 45 super cartridge? It would seem if people are selling recoil springs that make it easier to cock they must be a reduced strength than factory spec, so would a factory spec Kahr Thompson be able to safely handle the hotter 45 super cartridge?

I'm not an expert, but I probably wouldn't do that if I had the ammo and the gun. I would only shoot what was suggested - for any gun, not just a Thompson. That is one of the basic rules of shooting. Even though the dimensions are the same, higher pressures could cause a multitude of problems. Also, I am not sure if it is ball ammo or hollow point, wad, etc. I would stay away from anything except ball ammo in a Thompson.

From a little web research (take it for what it is worth!):

"Because 45 ACP automatics are generally designed to handle and function with the pressures and velocities of the currently manufactured and available standard 45 ACP ammunition, the additional pressure and velocities generated by the 45 Super® will cause malfunctions resulting from those firearms functioning beyond their designed specifications. The shooter should expect such malfunctions as: (1) failing to feed ammunition properly; (2) frequent jams; (3) pierced primers; and (4) possible failures in the structural design of the firearm. This list is not exhaustive, and other problems and dangers can and will occur.

Because firearms manufactured for the 45 ACP only and are not manufactured for the 45 Super® and its increased pressure and velocities, Texas Ammunition Company advises all customers not to use 45 Super® ammunition in any firearm that is not specifically manufactured or converted for the 45 Super® cartridge."

That being said, I would avoid it. Those cartridges are probably really expensive anyway... unless you have a surplus or got 'em for next to nothing.. why not just stick with 230 grain ball? I would hate to hear if you hurt yourself or your gun.

Chris.

P.S. I have a few Thompsons and the Ez-Pull kit did NOT work well for my M1 SBR. I included a picture of the casing I recovered after I puckered up. I am not satisfied with its use or saftey so I converted back to the stock configuration. Your mileage may vary and I have heard that others have had no problems whatsoever. I suppose I wasn't so lucky, but this gun was recently rebuilt and short barreled by a RKI on this forum so I don't attribute it to my equipment. The case below is from a virgin Federal American Eagle 230 grain ball .45 round. The gun also had various feed and fire problems with the kit installed which went away when going back to stock.

http://home.comcast.net/~cbachman/bad_shell.jpg

QUOTE (Phil Askew @ Oct 21 2005, 10:59 PM)
Dude, I gotta ask" FE427TP", are you running a Tunnel Port, Phil.

nope, guns got in the way of buying a tunnel port, but I have a 410 merc I'm working on, edelbrock heads, a comp 282S solid cam, erson rockers performer RPM intake still have to decide on a compression ratio and order pistons for it, it's been a long drawn out project....