FOIA Question

Robert Henley

I sent off for a FOIA on an NFA gun, but this time I sent my request around the same time that I submitted my Form 4 to BATF. My thinking was it will take many months before approval of the transfer by BATF, so I wanted to get a "jump start" on getting the FOIA information. Of course, it takes a long time to get the FOIA information too.

I got a letter back from the Justice Department BATF FOIA branch indicating I wasn't the taxpayer and therefore not entitled to the FOIA information. I called the number for the persons to call if I had any questions, and left a detailed voice mail message about what I did and asked the question if I had to wait for the transfer to be approved by BATF before I could get the FOIA information. I haven't heard back yet.

Does anyone know the answer to my question? In the past, when I've requested the FOIA information it was after the transfer had been approved by BATF. I'm not sure why it would matter, because all you get back is redacted information with no taxpayer information.

Can anyone shed light on the process and the timing of the FOIA request?

Robert

How quick did they turn around your FOIA request?

My understanding is even though the FOIA is heavily redacted, it is provided only to the current registered owner.

It was pretty quick response to the FOIA--maybe two months. My transfer of course is pending.

i sent 3 out....they send you a letter pretty quick saying they received it.....i dont think you should send it before you own it....your probably just going to get nothing out of it

i got 2 FOIA's ...with the 3rd one i got a letter saying that i dont own the gun....funny because ive owned it for 1.5 years....so i sent a letter back with my form 4......i also made the phone call...i think 1.5 months later i got a return phone call....the guy was goofy, gave goofy answers...he called back a week later and it was as if we didnt talk the week before....the guy was spacey...this week i got (2) letters back from the letter i sent in saying it was sent to the wrong place....i sent it exactly where they said to send it....

so i will be redoing the whole request on that gun....its not a perfect thing....for my Thompson my FOIA was worth it..they forgot to redact several things that were important...i even got fingerprints and one of the owners full names.....i was able to contact his son from it and get lots of info...

its worth keeping at until you get it

Whats an FOIA letter... I called after I took ownership of my machine gun looking for history on it... The guy said all the previous owner info is confidential.

Steve

You can make use of the Freedom of Information Act to gain copies of all previous tax transfers of the gun that are on file. You must be the current lawful owner. Of course much of the information is still confidential so you usually receive forms that are highly redacted, however you can still usually gain some insightful information such as dates of transfer, forms transferred on,etc.

Ron