Mags For Mp-40

Over the years, I have occasionally ran across MP-40's that were in excellent condition, but the mag well just would not accept the standard stamped MP-40

(only milled type).

I have yet to find an answer as to why this was so.

My guess is that the sub-contractors received improperly dimensioned blue-prints or possibly an attempt to improve relieability by tightening up the magazine to magazine well fit, so when the magazine was gripped by the soldier, the feed angle would not move due to the magazine rocking back and forth. Who knows?

"...My guess is that the sub-contractors received improperly dimensioned blue-prints...

I don't think that's it...as these mag housings were on 41, 42, 43 year MP40's. In addition, MP-40's were all hand fitted during final assembly. Finally, the subcontactors made all (?) components to forms and templates, and then they were "Wa."

I think it was deliberate.

or possibly an attempt to improve relieability by tightening up the magazine to magazine well fit, so when the magazine was gripped by the soldier, the feed angle would not move due to the magazine rocking back and forth. Who knows?

Again, I don't think so...for example...(in my younger, more arrogant day) I hammered in with a rubber mallet the unmilled MP40 magazine into the magwell figuring I'd "make it fit"... it was a nightmare trying to get the mag out! This was a deliberate undersiing of the mag wells to fit the milled MP-40 mags.

"...My guess is that the sub-contractors received improperly dimensioned blue-prints...

I don't think that's it...as these mag housings were on 41, 42, 43 year MP40's. In addition, MP-40's were all hand fitted during final assembly. Finally, the subcontactors made all (?) components to forms and templates, and then they were "Wa."

I think it was deliberate.

"...or possibly an attempt to improve relieability by tightening up the magazine to magazine well fit, so when the magazine was gripped by the soldier, the feed angle would not move due to the magazine rocking back and forth. Who knows?"

Again, I don't think so...for example...(in my younger, more arrogant day) I hammered in with a rubber mallet the unmilled MP40 magazine into the magwell figuring I'd "make it fit"... it was a nightmare trying to get the mag out! This was a deliberate undersiing of the mag wells to fit the milled MP-40 mags.

I ran into this same problem when looking for some nice mags for a matching early war gun. I found that the mags made by the same manufacturer as the gun fit and worked well. It seems that the later in the war the mags were produced, the worse they fit and worked. Generally, I stay away from mags dated later than 1943.