Possible for Trump to ban Russian ammo imports ?

Right, Russian 7N6 steel core 5.45 has been banned by the ATF, right when another 100 million rounds had been purchased surplus and were being readied for import to the US. Interestingly the statute allows the ban of "armor piercing handgun" ammunition of greater than .22 caliber. 5.45x39 is less than .22, but it was banned anyway after some idiot decided to import a handgun chambered for it. So much for cheap 5.45 for plinking.

I've had trouble finding any Russian sporting 5.45 for less than about .20 cents a round. It all has bullets with lead cores. The bullets will still attract a magnet, though, since the jackets are made of steel. Hope the ATF doesn't notice anytime soon.

https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/test-examination-and-classification-7n6-545x39-ammunition

Got this in an email from SG ammo;

"I have been watching news on sanctions against Russia very closely and I believe that there is a high probability of a sanction package this November that would prohibit almost all imports in general from Russia including ammo. Keep in mind that this is not an absolute thing, it might not happen, but it is extremely likely. I encourage clients to do their own research and google search 'Sanctions on imports from Russia' and refine by the last week or month to see the recent news and you will see there is are plans for a massive sanction package that includes an embargo on Russian imports in the works. From there make your own decisions on what you do, but do not blame me if you waited to buy until after the sanction happen and prices on 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 go through the roof. IMO if you need ammo there will probably never be better time to buy these 2 calibers than now because if the sanctions happen and supply is cut off then price will go crazy and availability will dry up in a short period of time, and if the sanctions do not happen then the prices will still be the same or at most drop $5 to $10, so there is nothing to loose in stocking up now if you actually need the ammo in the future. I am putting my money where my mouth is and stacking some extra pallets of 7.62x39 here, what you do is your business but if the goods get sanctioned I'm not going to keep selling my investment for $10 per case profit. Outside of Russia there are very few options for 7.62x39 ammo and none at attractive prices, and 5.45x39 would simply be unavailable."

Edited by lightguy

"I have been watching news on sanctions against Russia very closely and I believe that there is a high probability of a sanction package this November that would prohibit almost all imports in general from Russia including ammo. Keep in mind that this is not an absolute thing, it might not happen, but it is extremely likely. I encourage clients to do their own research and google search 'Sanctions on imports from Russia' and refine by the last week or month to see the recent news and you will see there is are plans for a massive sanction package that includes an embargo on Russian imports in the works. From there make your own decisions on what you do, but do not blame me if you waited to buy until after the sanction happen and prices on 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 go through the roof. IMO if you need ammo there will probably never be better time to buy these 2 calibers than now because if the sanctions happen and supply is cut off then price will go crazy and availability will dry up in a short period of time, and if the sanctions do not happen then the prices will still be the same or at most drop $5 to $10, so there is nothing to loose in stocking up now if you actually need the ammo in the future. I am putting my money where my mouth is and stacking some extra pallets of 7.62x39 here, what you do is your business but if the goods get sanctioned I'm not going to keep selling my investment for $10 per case profit. Outside of Russia there are very few options for 7.62x39 ammo and none at attractive prices, and 5.45x39 would simply be unavailable."

Point taken. Something to consider.

SG Ammo is my go to for these two calibers, but some of the remarks are absolute BS. Sure many big name brands would no longer be imported, but not all to include 5.45. Wolf ammo is not made exclusively in Russia and so those will not be barred from import. If these companies want to get their product in there are ways to get around the language depending on what is barred. These are not the most follow rules type places and could just change labels from Russia to Ukraine or somewhere else. Ammo made in Russia, but imported from somewhere where they can be imported. Where there is a will there is a way.

Nothing like a little fear mongering to justify jacking the prices up.