Photo

Unknown Mag Pouch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gunner1

Gunner1

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, M-3 Grease, MP40, etc...

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Came to my hands a very different magazine pouch and have ever since been trying to identify their origin, but so far not got success.
With no apparent markings that indicate the source, its construction resembles much of WWII German pouches, by the use of canvas and leather and angulation of the belt fittings. It have a piece of leather sewed in the botton of each pocket.
The most interesting thing is that Thompson´s XXX mags fits perfectly (and was used for this, by internal oxidation marks on canvas).
I've tried putting magazines of Sten, Grease Gun, MP-40, Madsen M-50, but all are much longer than the pockets. Magazines from PPSH-41 are curved and don´t fit also.
I think that may be some kind of pouch made to German Army (tank crew) after war or something from CIA (CISO Operations).
Could someone help identify? I tried it on other forums, but not getting any plausible result. Any help will be welcome.

Thanks
Attached File  magazine_pouch (1).JPG   1.14MB   19 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (2).JPG   1.15MB   23 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (4).JPG   1.12MB   18 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (7).JPG   1003.61K   14 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (8).JPG   1.38MB   14 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (10).JPG   821.45K   14 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (16).JPG   624.71K   17 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (11).JPG   1.18MB   21 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (17).JPG   758.53K   25 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (19).JPG   654.16K   31 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (21).jpg   571.38K   34 downloadsAttached File  magazine_pouch (23).jpg   562.07K   30 downloads

#2 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3055 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Gunner1,
According to Bob Landes owner of Ohio Ordnance, these pouches were made up at the request of the CIA for the Bay Of Pigs invasion.
Bob told this story many years ago and I don't know if he sticks to it now.
Jim C

#3 Gunner1

Gunner1

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Was a more coherent response that I received. At least was a logical response.
This would explain the lack of identification in the pouch (sterile).
I'll continue searching from there.

Thanks Jim C

#4 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2560 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

The straps and hardware (except for the stud) look very American, particularly the pattern and weave of the canvas. IIRC, the Ordnance department was pretty impressed with the MP-40 after examples captured in North Africa were brought back to the US for testing. Some Thompson magazine pouches were made up for testing and evaluation, along the lines of German MP-40 pouches. Could this be one of those test articles?

#5 1921A

1921A

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

Did you ever get an answer to this?   I have a couple of these somewhere and it seems like I heard that they were made in the 60's and given to ARVN troops equipped with M1A1s.  If so, there ought to be some pictures floating around out there.

#6 Gunner1

Gunner1

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

Hi 1921A

Still not getting an answer that was definitive. I also have been looking for pictures, but I got no success so far.

#7 Ivan

Ivan

• Regular Group
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Saw these pouches many years ago. Was told a big batch was made for "sterile" US operations.
For 30 round Thompson and 30 round Carbine mags.Side pouch for oil bottle and sectional cleaning rod.
Did you try a Carbine mag ?

Wish I had bought a few,they were $2 or $3 at the time.

#8 Gunner1

Gunner1

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi Ivan

I tried with the M1 Carbine magazines too. They fit, but they were very hard to get caught.

The pocket is too deep for this magazine.

magazine_pouch21_zps2a726569.jpgmagazine_pouch22_zps38770b51.jpgmagazine_pouch23_zps7a9e33cb.jpg