Tsmg Drum Covers

Hello guys. Question for all of you, please. All things being the same (condition, etc.) is a drum cover with shoulder strap worth more with the US markings, or without? A pal has two, and one has the US, the other does not. I can have my choice, I think.

Followup question, what are they worth? I'm being offered one for $275 in mint condition.

Snipershot

That's a little high, as Arthur pointed out. $150.00 to $175.00 for a mint condition pouch is probably the current price, but I think they can be found cheaper than that.

Just as a matter of personal opinion, I think I would take the one without tha U.S. markings if I had the choice. They seem to be more scarce than the U.S. marked ones.

Depends, is the non-US marked one marked "BRITISH MADE" or have a 'broad arrow' mark inside? If so it is worth (and sells for) about $30. Looks just like a US one but the stap ends are square and rivited in place rather than rounded and crimped and the buckles are different (open sides). This item is also made from British weave canvas and may have a pebbled snap rather than a 'lift the dot' fastener for closure.

The 'US' marked example is no more rare than the unmarked example. Samee same. The sell (OFF eBay) for about $100-125 in perfect condition. BUT the 'USMC' marked example of this item sell for about twice that.

The hard one to get is the no marking, no shoulder strap, pre-WWII example. I just sold one for $250 in 80% or so condition.

Notice I said 'sell for' not 'priced at'. Field gear collectors have not yet been infected with the 'Thompson Greed' bug..............yet!

Are the buckles still in place? If so i can get a strap for you. If not I can put them there.

But why? It is way cooler to have the drum on your belt, right in the small of the back is the best place. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (PATHFINDER @ Sep 10 2004, 09:06 AM)
BUT the 'USMC' marked example of this item sell for about twice that.

Pathfinder,

Do you happen to have a picture of one that is actually USMC marked? I have never seen one and to be honest with you, I am skeptical that they are actually genuine. I haven't seen any reference books that show a WWII variety "L" drum pouch marked USMC. Please cite your source if you have documentation that Russell Manufacturing Company actually marked them USMC.