ATTN: Any friend of Merle Bitikofer need Help!

Approximately 2 and a half-3 yrs ago I sent Merle a Worchester era Drum and a Blank 20 round magazine for repairs. After multiple phone calls

to have him send them back whether finished or not he refuses to return calls. I have sent on 2 different occasions a pre-paid box

for him to return items with no response. Is there someone close enough to him to help me out. Could someone who lives close by go and see

him and get above items with return box and mail them back to me. Jimmy Traynor CPD retired

• Upvote 1

I'm in the same boat, I sent a "C" drum for repair about 3yrs ago, called him about 2 years ago and he said he was not repairing them anymore witch was fine. We talked and I sent him a check to return my "C" drum on 2/16/17. But have not received it yet. I paid about $500.00 for the drum and just want it back. I know he lost his wife and has been having a tough time with that as expected with that kind of lost! I wish him well, but would like my drum back at some point. I hope he's doing okay!

Jimmy-Stampcollector,

It would appear that your not going to get any help from the members on this forum.

No one has even come forth with any recent communication with Merle.

It looks like your both likely to loose a nice drum.

You must face the fact that Merle may be dead or in a nursing home.

You might consider contacting the police chief and/or sheriff in Merles jurisdiction, explain your problem, and see if perhaps, they can be any assistance.

Jim C

PS. Is this our Merle?????

Edited by jim c 351

Merle is alive. Spoke with him last week. He is still at home. At 80 he seems tired and unmotivated to do any more gun work. And maybe a bit confused. I'd try to call him and walk him exactly through what drum parts he has of yours. Be patient and descriptive in your details.
  • Upvote 2

Dan,

Nice work. There has been a little action behind the scenes from several members of this Board. Hopefully, these issues will be resolved. Merle has been an important part of the Thompson community for many years and we want everything to end well for him and all the members. Given Merle's age and condition, please be very patient with him.

Thank you guys for info on Merle, I definitely wish him well and will call and I will be mindful of his condition. Like I said earlier I understand the great loss of his wife and how hard that is especially at his age! I have suffered a great loss in my life and know first hand how debilitating it can be on A human!

Will report what contact I have with him if it can shade some light on this for others.

Thanks also for the Info. on Merle, I also agree with Stampcollector and definitely wish him well, and also will be mindful of his condition. I have enjoyed my conversations with him in the past and he has always been a great guy to deal with and who has been very helpful to me and with many other people on this board who depend on him, especially with Thompson related issues. I also had heard he was ill for a while and also lost his wife that is why I did not want to bother him because he is such a good guy!

Stampcollector I will send you PM maybe we can work on this together ? Jimmy

I would suggest each person try individually... Gentle phone call.. Descriptive letter of what you are missing. I don't want to start rumors from 1000 miles away. I just know I repeat the same conversation more than once. I would like to go there and visit and help him.. But Iowa is not close by..

Dan,

For 3 years Jimmy and SC have tried the patience method and failed.

Merle probably recognizes your phone number and returns your calls, but not the calls from Jimmy and SC.

They have both sent money and prepaid boxes.

How much longer should they continue to do the same thing for the same result??

A visit from the sheriff might have a better effect.

Jim C

I'm glad to say I just spoke with Merle by phone, and he seemed to be doing pretty well, all things considered.

Just wanted to let members here know that Merle has lost a brother and other relatives recently, along with several friends.

This has worn down his spirits a lot, and he's doing all he can.

He is very much aware that he has some drums and parts from people, and fully intends to finish the work on hand.

His health issues prevented him from doing any work at all for several long periods of time.

Right now, his unheated basement workshop is still too cold for him to work, so checking on parts or jobs isn't possible.

I would say more, but I felt much of it was too personal.

At least in my conversation, his mind seemed quite good, and we actually had a few laughs.

So, Merle's doing "ok".

And we can all be glad for that.

Edited by mnshooter

I haven't been in Merle's basement, so can't make an informed comment on the conditions.

Someone about to turn their 80th year, with various health issues, a primary one being at a (family-proven) risk of instant death from aneurysm from even moderate physical strain -walking up and down flights of steps, for instance, -may have an entirely different tolerance for cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I was also able to speak with Merle after Stampcollector , very cordial conversation

although I believe he is having some issues, he stated he had not been downstairs

in a while but he would try to send them back after the weekend after some company left.

I reminded him that I sent him the prepaid mail box just to put them in and leave for postman!

Nothing Yet as of this posting!

In these situations no one is going to get anything unless someone physically goes there and sorts the stuff out and ships it to you. Clearly, Merle is not going to get it done. The longer it goes on the worse this will get to the point he won't let anyone in to help. At some point you'll be trying to recover your stuff from the estate which will be near impossible. Sad, but that is how these things always shake out.

The reality is that if you're sending stuff out to guys over 70, they are on borrowed time and you need documentation in writing of what they received from you in the event you may need to recover it from their estate. Even with that it's painstakingly slow to get your goods back, but it does make the process much easier but still not guaranteed. If you are going to gamble on government to sort this out, you will likely be very disappointed.

Sorry if it sounded harsh, but someone going there might really make Merle's day by clearing the burden, getting a like minded visitor, etc. If I had something sitting there I'd sure be willing to chip in toward expenses. The guy had a spartan reputation for a lot of years and fixed stuff people were ready to toss out. Not that it's tarnished at this point but you know someone will go off complaining about the guy not really understanding the circumstances and that would be a shame. I've seen guys complain that a guy that's been deceased for 2 years, saying that they've called many times and the guy won't return calls and trash the guy? And then three more guys pile on.

74 is the new 60! Plus you're partially tax exempt!