Newly Discovered Colt Thompson Serial Numbers - Gordon's Quest

7 hours ago, david soper said:

#8090 i think is the 4 th number that i gave to Gordon for his book but i cant find my notes. My 1921 is all original from Arkansas prison system and is #7080. 

👍

On 2/19/2023 at 11:13 PM, david soper said:

#8090 i think is the 4 th number that i gave to Gordon for his book but i cant find my notes. My 1921 is all original from Arkansas prison system and is #7080. 

David,

id be interested to know if your gun (or if you know on the others) have any markings from the prison system I’d engraved or numbering.  I have a Winchester 07 marked Ark Pen and a Remington 81 Peace Officers Equipment Co gun engraved to Arkansas Pen.  Just curious if you know of the Thompson are so marked 

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, david soper said:

My thompson  1921AC# 7080is not marked Ark Pen. It came from the Cummins Farm Pen.

👍 Cheers David, I'll update my notes with that additional information.

Edited by rpbcps

In 2005 i talked to the head of Arkansas Department of Corrections and he gave me the other 2 numbers of Thompson in their prisons system. I gave Gordon the #5369 and 5920 that they had in their system. They told me the Thompson where 1921. GRODON has them listed as NAVY. I do not know if Gordon talked to them. I will look through my notes and see i can find the number to call and find out the truth.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:14 PM, david soper said:

In 2005 i talked to the head of Arkansas Department of Corrections and he gave me the other 2 numbers of Thompson in their prisons system. I gave Gordon the #5369 and 5920 that they had in their system. They told me the Thompson where 1921. GRODON has them listed as NAVY. I do not know if Gordon talked to them. I will look through my notes and see i can find the number to call and find out the truth.

David,

That would be great if possible, give us confirmation one way or the other, for 'our' personal updates to Gordon's records.

Richard 

The 1921A S/N 3386, mentioned in Gordons book is for sale again in the UK.
S/N 3386 is the Thompson featured in the British Manual produced by Gale and Polden, titled THE THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN MECHANISM MADE EASY. It was listed by Gordon as once being owned by Babty & Company Movie Property supplier based in London UK, and was deactivated in the 1990's when Babty sold the weapon. It was also featured on page 108 of Tracie Hills Thompson: The American Legend.
Mind you there is a difference between listing a deactivation with a price tag like that and actually selling it. £20,000 for a deactivated firearm, wow, my early 3 digit M1921, with provenance from the SS Eastside shipment, must be worth a few $'s more than I paid for it in 2016, so that was not a bad investment for me, in theory.

Best Regards

Richard

• 2 months later...

TennesseeTaylor95 posted Model of 1921 SN 3724 (receiver) / SN 4408 (trigger frame), listed for sale on Gunbroker, which Apparently was a scam.
I checked Gordons book and both #3742 and #4408 have no information listed for them.
Richard, (APEXgunparts), traced 3742/4408 to Spain, where it was in 2020, and had been deactivated.

• 8 months later...