USMC Mag Pouch Real or Repro?

I bought a couple mag pouches a few years back and 2 of them are marked USMC and I was wondering if anybody can tell me if they are original USMC pouches? I'm 99% sure they are real pouches I'm just not sure if they are original USMC or if someone marked them USMC to try to increase value or something, if I remember correctly they were shipped from somewhere in Europe.

Thanks for the help

post-260996-0-84667300-1557861708_thumb.jpg

post-260996-0-34113400-1557861772_thumb.jpg

post-260996-0-79486700-1557861816_thumb.jpg

post-260996-0-00758000-1557861873_thumb.jpg

post-260996-0-40518200-1557861920_thumb.jpg

The reason I'm questioning whether they are really USMC pouches is because of the spacing between the U.S. and M.C., I've never seen any with that much space between them, I did look them up a while back and the manufacturer is one of the manufacturers that made USMC pouches so hopefully someone has an answer Edited by 1952HRA

Your pouch pictured has a different font for the RM CO 1942 lettering then other known RM CO 1942 dated USMC Reising pouches . It appears to be the same style font (RM CO 1942) that is used on the 1944 dated three cell 30 round USMC pouches.

The USMC font on your pouch pictured also differs from 1942 dated USMC Reising five cell pouches made by Russell Manufacturing. However your pouch USMC font is similar to font on three cell 30 round USMC pouches.

On the subject of the space between the S and M i dont Know what to say regarding that. There typically is no gap in the USMC lettering on the 1944 dated three cell pouches.

Lets wait for gijive to respond.

The fact they came from Europe could be of concern with the unmarked web pouches that were in the Russian Thompson shipping chests. Someone possibly may have copied the only USMC pouch available to them?

Yeah that's what I was kinda thinking, hopefully someone others chime in with there thoughts

Do the pouches smell old or the ink stamps smell of fresh ink?

It's got a faint smell of old canvas (it smells the same as all my WW2 and Korean war belts and pouches) but other than that I can't smell any ink or anything, I don't have that much knowledge on this stuff but judging by the feal and smell I think the pouch it's self is original but the lettering is what is throwing me off

Do the pouches smell old or the ink stamps smell of fresh ink?

It's got a faint smell of old canvas (it smells the same as all my WW2 and Korean war belts and pouches) but other than that I can't smell any ink or anything, I don't have that much knowledge on this stuff but judging by the feal and smell I think the pouch it's self is original but the lettering is what is throwing me off

Sometimes with fresh markings you can still smell the ink.

Take a photo with all the flaps open and line it up with another known original Thompson 5 cell mag pouch. Preferably one that is US marked.

If the Stud Strap is higher then it is a Reising pouch, and that alone makes it "better". I doubt that there was an approved stamp that had a gap or was a two letter stamp.

5 XX Mag.jpg

The center pouch is a USMC marked Reising Pouch

They had to move the stud strap higher to fit the taller Reising Mags.

Take a photo with all the flaps open and line it up with another known original Thompson 5 cell mag pouch. Preferably one that is US marked.

If the Stud Strap is higher then it is a Reising pouch, and that alone makes it "better". I doubt that there was an approved stamp that had a gap or was a two letter stamp.

attachicon.gif 5 XX Mag.jpg

The center pouch is a USMC marked Reising Pouch

They had to move the stud strap higher to fit the taller Reising Mags.

Hears a picture, it's definitely a Thompson mag pouch, the USMC marked one is on the left

post-260996-0-43878200-1557921317_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1952HRA

As Sandman mentioned, the RMCo 1942 USMC pouch should be for the Reising mags. All that I have owned have been in that manner. Also the stamping is not consistent with others I have had. I have two or three and have sold about six over some years.

I suspect that this pouch was a blank lend lease that has been improved. The color looks consistent with those that came back.

I wanted to wait to get home and confirm some points but based on the snap placement and the stampings I am confident. I would like to confirm which snap manufacturer were on my USMC pouch compared to the lens lease pouches. I suspect there should be consistency as I do not believe there were multiple production runs of this pouch.

Ron

My opinion: Real pouch. Fake marking. The only ones I know that were marked in this manner were for the Reising, and that marking is different. This is the first I have seen of this marking style.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Here's a pic of a known original Reising pouch. Note the lack of spaces in USMC. I believe the OP's pouch is a WWII original that's had the markings added. Without the space, there would have been no way to tell.

ww2-s-c-reising-smg-cell-20-round.jpg

I have seen USMC marked 6 cell pouches and am not convinced the USMC contracted them during the war. There were USMC Depot made 6-cell pouches but they were UNMARKED. These marked examples seem to be Russian returns, with USMC added in an attempt to make a common pouch more desirable.

These USMC stamps were sold on ebay years ago. Save your money boys.

I don't think any Thompson 5-cell magazine pouches were stamped in this manner in 1942 by R.M. Co. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall any, and if they exist, I would want to examine them very closely.

In my opinion, there are three things to look for...

1. Is it an original Thompson 5-cell pouch? (Yes/No)

2. Is it an original Thompson 5-cell pouch, and marked USMC and R.M. Co. 1942? If so, then it is probably a Russian pouch that has had a fake marking applied.

3. Is it a USMC marked R.M. Co. 1942 Reising 5-cell pouch? If so, then compare marking to many known examples. It is probably original. The snaps are at a different height on a Reising pouch, which differentiates it from a Thompson pouch.

The USMC did not have many Thompsons in 1942. They adopted the Reising in 1941 because of Thompson supply constraints. We were still trying to send as many Thompsons as we could to Britain, and to the U.S. Army. The Marines, though usually first to combat, were a lower overall supply priority. Go figure...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Here is an interesting one i bought last night. The seller on Ebay claims it was in his collection for 30 years. Also, the right 2 snaps are marked "star pull" and the left 3 are blank. I only bought it because it was $35 so it was too cheap under any circumstance to pass up.

Eric

BTW I just checked the seller feedback.

4.PNG

3.PNG

2.PNG

1.PNG

5.PNG

Edited by Normal1959

Here is an interesting one i bought last night. The seller on Ebay claims it was in his collection for 30 years. Also, the right 2 snaps are marked "star pull" and the left 3 are blank. I only bought it because it was $35 so it was too cheap under any circumstance to pass up.

Eric

If you asking if it is real, it is. The maker mark on that one should be inside the rear sewn on portion on the back where it slides on a belt. Hard to see but if you hold it right you can make it out.

Eric

If you asking if it is real, it is. The maker mark on that one should be inside the rear sewn on portion on the back where it slides on a belt. Hard to see but if you hold it right you can make it out.

I wondered where the maker mark was. I will check it out when I get it. Just bought it last night.

Eric

Eric

I wondered where the maker mark was. I will check it out when I get it. Just bought it last night.

Eric

The most common manufacturer that I have seen for that type of two-tone type of magazine pouch is Hoosier T. & C. G. Co. There is also another but I can't remember if it is Airtress Midland or American Awning Company.

Just checked the FAQ section of this Board and found the other manufacturer I was thinking of, it is American Leather Products.

AmLeatherProdXX-3_Web.jpg Hoosier.jpg

Your pouch should be dated 1942.

Edited by gijive