New Guy with Early British Savage

Did not know that. How would such a gun have the Woolwich mark on it? I was under the impression that the

Woolwich mark was applied after the gun reached Britian, not at the Savage plant where it was made.

Apparently firearms that were purchased by the British Purchasing Commission (BPC) received the Woolwich mark at the USA factory prior to being shipped to Britain. The mark was applied by British inspectors. Examples of these Woolwich stamps appear on purchases of Model 1928 Savage TSMGs, .32 auto Colt hammerless pistols, Colt .22 Woodsman, and 38/200 Colt Official Police revolvers.

Did not know that. How would such a gun have the Woolwich mark on it? I was under the impression that the

Woolwich mark was applied after the gun reached Britian, not at the Savage plant where it was made.

The Woolrich stamp was just the British military acceptance stamp. The markings that would indicate the place we're on the right side of the receiver with the royal crown stamp and inspectors code.

It does look like in the pictures Gijive posted that it has a E for the Enfield plant. I'm not sure what all the different British location stamps we're though.

Andrew

I have a Savage # 27300, that has the stamp of a crown over the number 17, and blow that is a capipit letter E pointing down. !!! On the left rear it has the letters A and L o er the number 944 !!! Can anyone tell me anything about these ?

dam6,

A picture of these markings would really help Board members answer your question - or at least offer an opinion. It sounds like you have an early Savage Thompson.

Attached are the pictures of S-27300 taken by dam6. It is definitely an early Savage Thompson. The photos are small and do not provide a lot of information. However, I can tell the fire control levers are not the correct early Savage knurled levers. The markings on the right side of the receiver nose are British. I will let others who study these markings offer comments. I do not see an Index line on the barrel collar. I have seen the markings on the left side of the receiver under the rear sight on other Thompson guns somewhere in the past. I believe these markings have been discussed on this forum. Hopefully, someone has a better memory than me!

I am curious if the frame serial number matches the receiver serial number. I would guess the patent markings are numbers, not dates.

Thanks for sharing.

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

Edited by TD.

The deep roll markings for the nomenclature "OF 1928" and number "27300" are very similar to other Savage Thompsons in this serial number range.

I believe we have discussed those AL and 944 markings previously on the Board, perhaps on a members Thompson.

Thanks for everyone contributing to this thread - I've learned a lot and found a couple parts.

The bluing has really cleaned up with some bronze wool and CLP. The resting bar is Stevens marked.

I've been busy but will put some additional pics up soon.

What type of bolt would have been used on this early gun? A blue or unblued Savage?

Board member has an Savage (not stevens) barrel for me. Found a type 2 Cutts W/O bullet logo thanks to heads up by a board member.

Ok, Unblued Savage bolt and the actuator should be S or R marked?

Will any early stock without a re-enforcement work or are there Savage marked stocks?

I probably need a Savage lower as well instead of the scrubbed one on the gun now.

The more I look at this gun, the more I think it has been put together here - I've seen many Military refurbed guns in my life and I don't think that this was one of them.

• 6 months later...

Welcome aboard KP31,

In my collection, I have an early Savage Model of 1928, 18344, which is in the UK and the trigger frame has the serial number ground off that too. It was converted to semi auto, back in the day when were allowed that privilege in the UK, before being deactivated in 1990.

18344 lower blank SN.JPG

I also have a later Savage 1928, 85140, again deactivated, and that has a force match for the trigger frame and receiver, although the original serial number remains and has 85140 added below it.

85140 Trigger assembly SN.JPG

In the past I have read that the mismatched Thompson serial numbers were not unusual in British army service, as it was easier to replace the frame than to change barrels, when the weapon was in for repairs with the REME field armourers.

Stay safe

Richard

...I would also like to know how you know about the Numrich Arms 1950 import status. Is this information word of mouth or do you have copies of the original documentation? I do know some Thompson guns were imported as "receivers only" during this period. Given the scrubbed serial number on the frame and aftermarket compensator, it does make me wonder...

My own M1928A1 TSMG is matching and has the NAC marks, for Numrich Arms corporation. Its first and only retail sale was through a Chicago area sporting goods store in 1954, to the owner that I bought it from. On my gun, both the receiver and frame are NAC marked. The gun was never painted, and has no foreign markings.

Edited by TSMGguy