Photo

My new favorite .38 Super, Cop AND Robbers!

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 HANS

HANS

• Regular Group
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, gangsters

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:45 PM

HANS-( USMC)

Confirmed with Jim Knight, you are probably correct on the Krag, vs M1903. The Platteville thing is iffy as we've discussed here. ( WD JONES) .

Keep em coming, great history...

The Springfields are listed in the FBI fies, #26-4114. What most people don't know, even most Barrow biographies, is that Barrow burgled the armoury at Plattville TWICE, once in April and once in August of 1933.

Cheers

HANS

Edited by HANS, 27 July 2017 - 11:52 PM.

#42 OCM

OCM

Outlaw History Expert - Respected Member - R.I.P.

• Board Donor
  • 2352 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars used by the 1930s outlaws,
    Collecting outlaw artifacts from the 30s, Brewing, BBQ ribs, old aircraft, massive tinkering, Etc....

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

New to me. Interesting, I'll sure bring that up to Jim Knight today, he'll want to know, see what he says. Might start a new thread on this or email me direct as not to clutter up this one.  

Thanks 

#43 HANS

HANS

• Regular Group
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, gangsters

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

New to me. Interesting, I'll sure bring that up to Jim Knight today, he'll want to know, see what he says. Might start a new thread on this or email me direct as not to clutter up this one.  

Thanks 

Sandy, I sent you an email. I'll be glad to share my research.

Cheers

HANS

#44 OCM

OCM

Outlaw History Expert - Respected Member - R.I.P.

• Board Donor
  • 2352 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars used by the 1930s outlaws,
    Collecting outlaw artifacts from the 30s, Brewing, BBQ ribs, old aircraft, massive tinkering, Etc....

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Thanks- I did remember I had the FBI file you mention, it was sent to me by Winston Woodward a number of years ago. It was produced by Winston , Tom Methvin & Jimmy Gilman, know all those boys. Ken Holmes was selling the copies to the public with his Southwest Historical Publications and I believe at the Arcadia Bonnie & Clyde Museum. Ken, who is now passed away, owned the B&C movie car that's on display with ( my old) Dillinger Essex, I knew Ken fairly well.

Winston got the files from John Fox, who , along with Larry Wack, ( my help a bit) found the missing Dillinger Colt 380.

I just forgot I had the CD with the files. Almost positive Jim Knight has the CD too as he was also close to Ken Holmes, be very surprised if he didn't  

Still would like to see what you emailed me about, appreciate your ongoing research.

I'll run the file today, will also contact Jim.

OCM 

#45 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Too many, all expensive.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

Finally got the records for the third guy arrested with this pistol a few months back.  My assumption was that he was a minor character as his arrest record shown in the Detroit PD files was very brief, and he was released right away.  Turns out he's the most interesting of the lot...

​Fortunately I was able to share this with Sandy not long before he passed.  Meant to come back to this thread on the forum and update here as well, and just had not set aside the time to do so.

Drumroll, please...

#46 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

Turns out that John "Whitey" Conley was a known associate of Fred "Killer" Burke and Gus Winkeler, two of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre shooters and former Egan's Rats from St. Louis who became Capone's "American Boys" in Chicago. Conley arrested for bank robbery and sententced to 25 years at Alcatraz about a year after his arrest with this pistol.

Attached Files

#47 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4609 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

I was about to post the drumroll photo...

Attached File  NeilPeartDrumroll.jpg   69.34K   4 downloads

Very cool connection on the .38 Super!  Congratulations!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#48 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

More

Attached Files

#49 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

Thanks David.  It's not the most "expensive" gun I own, but it has the best history.  The Conley connections open up a whole additional world of fantasizing about where it was and what it was used for between 1930 at Wolf & Klar, and 1935 in Detroit.  

#50 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2596 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

USMC0802,

Really great documentation and research on your part!

#51 Colt Chopper

Colt Chopper

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:58 AM

Love those Super 38's.

Need to keep this board going, sure do miss Sandy's comments and knowledge.

#52 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:04 AM

Agree CC.  I think of him often. 

I have several pieces to post here, but waiting on research - or more accurately, time to pursue the research!  

This is one of my favorite discussion boards.  I enjoy posting and really enjoy seeing everyone else's stuff.  I'll try to participate more moving forward.  

#53 jl7422

jl7422

• Regular Group
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

I also have a new (to me) Super in-bound that I'll share when it arrives. Took some looking but I finally came up with a period piece. . .  Time to get this board cranked up again.