• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4607 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

The "provenance" they claimed for that gun was questionable AT BEST.  I believe that a claim by Officer Persell that they had one is the only insinuation the Barrow Gang ever laid hands on a Thompson. 

The photos recovered in Joplin show Persell's revolver, but no Thompson - awfully strong evidence they didn't have one at that time.  

For my part I believe the gun sold at the KC auction was never owned by the Barrows.  

All it takes at an auction for sky high prices are two suckers with deep pockets who don't perform due diligence on a story put out by a seller. 

Agree.  As I recall, we debunked the Thompson in the TSMG forum just prior to the auction.  

BTW...Great post!  I enjoyed the photos from the 85th anniversary.  For some reason, I didn't check it out until today.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#22 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Too many, all expensive.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

Thanks David!  I had fun staging those photos, and sleeping in Clyde and Bonnie's bedroom the night before the anniversary of the shootout was an odd feeling.  We had a great weekend down there and I highly recommend booking a stay if anyone reading this is traveling through that part of the country.