Has anyone dealt with Bull Creek Arms - Win '97 Trench Gun convers

I cannot comment on this company, but want to mention that I've done the same thing with '97s that I've picked up at gun shows, using the repro bayonet attachment/heat shield that was available a few years ago from IMA. Haven't checked to see if these are still being sold by IMA, so am uncertain about their availability. If I recall correctly, the repro heat shields did not require the barrel to be "relieved" by a cut so that the shield screw would have a place to go through. I suspect this cut -- on original trench guns -- probably served to keep the shield from wobbling or twisting. The repro took a bayonet OK. Note that I fabricated these mostly for display guns and never shot the guns so can't comment on how well the heat shield stood up to recoil. As an aside, I also had one of the Chinese copies (Norinco?) and was very pleased with that. Not sure if they are still available. Makes kind of an interesting looking gun and either the Bullcreek or the Norinco should be OK for reenactors. NOTE: I forgot to look closely at the Bullcreek gun photo -- the Norinco doesn't come with a rear (stock) sling swivel. I'd think that those wanting a more authentic trench gun would want to have that rear swivel and I had neither the tools nor the talent to attempt to inlet the stock and install the swivel. (The heat shield should have a sling loop -- or whatever they are called.)

If you do not have the barrel notched and the screws passing through there-in , the recoil from 12 ga tactical buck and the weight from a 1917 bayonet will yank the handguard off in a couple of tube fulls .

Had this happen on a tapered barrel cutdown with no grooves and a repro handguard that had the holes a touch too low to get a good bite and they jumped out .

You've gotta have the bayonet on to guide the pellets if you want to have any hope of putting all those nine pellets in a head shot at 100 yards , don't you know .

Chris

• 4 months later...

I placed my order with Bull Creek 01-04-16, shipped to Ga and arrived 01-08-16, it turned out to be a 1911 or 1912 E takedown depending on which serial number page you look at (I wanted the pistol grip stock so it had to be a takedown, if solid frame then they have the knob/ball end stock, they won't switch out stocks) ...ran a box of Winchester AA low recoil through it; all extracted form magazine just fine, but the ejection was weak and 4 out of 20 hung in chamber, had to turn gun over to get empty...ejection was only about a foot from the gun except the 4 that hung up...bluing was really nice, walnut stock was very good, but had a "small" 3/4" crack...usual. The action was kind of rough but I did not ask for any action work so was expected; I have an IAC cowboy action '97 that is super butter smooth. If you are looking for a real "97, not expecting any high dollar real sale value, trench gun look (see all over trench guns selling $2-$4K) to just shoot and have fun with and say you have a real "97 with a cool looking heat shield then I don't think you could go wrong.

• 3 months later...

I cannot comment on this company, but want to mention that I've done the same thing with '97s that I've picked up at gun shows, using the repro bayonet attachment/heat shield that was available a few years ago from IMA. Haven't checked to see if these are still being sold by IMA, so am uncertain about their availability......

http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/Winchester%20Model%2012%20Commercial%20Barrel%20Trench%20Gun%20Bayo%20Attachment.html

• 3 years later...

I just picked up one of their converted M1897 Trench Gun and want to say that what I got was gorgeous and everyone at the range commented positively on it. I picked up an original bayonet to go along with it and could not be happier with it. It is a good shooter grade compromise between an all original that was used in the war, but not a rough foreign copy.