1928 Buffer Disc Warning

Hello all happy 4th of July,

I have a Savage 28A1 that we took to the range yesterday and put about 600 rounds through it without any problems. I broke the gun down this morning and the original buffer disc was totally destroyed, it looked like a bunch of walnut chips laying inside the receiver. The only issue I saw was the buffer pilot looked alittle more beat up with some burrs where the bolt was hitting it. So I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem and does anyone have a lead on a after market buffer disc that I can purchase and use. Thanks for the help.

Andy

Where you get it?

I need a couple new ones too.

As mentioned here a few dozen times already, never shoot any Thompson without a modern neoprene buffer system.

You can probably run your new car on straight weight oil too, but why would you want to?

PK sells these.

So does Merle Bitikoffer, though I'm not sure if he's back on his feet enough to handle orders.

Maybe others who sell them will post.

Edit: The correct name for the currently used material is Polyurethane.

Edited by mnshooter

To answer your question, I have seen the buffers in MAC type guns fall apart, either because they break down chemically from age or they start cracking and then break apart from impact

there's no reason why an old resin washer in a Thompson shouldn't eventually crack apart and fail for the same reasons

neoprene rubber is black colored, that's the rubber they make computer mousepads out of

the translucent plastic they make modern gun buffers out of is polyurethane

everyone always calls polyurethane buffers neoprene

probably because they used to be made out of neoprene

Edited by buzz

neoprene is a kind of synthetic rubber and polyurethane is synthetic resin

they are not chemically in the same family and have different mechanical characteristics

the point is, if you want a hard polyurethane buffer, make sure you see a picture of it

because some buffers used to be made out of neoprene and they are very squishy and soft, they don't last

Buffer Technologies has a nice aftermarket buffer disc of much higher quality and durability than the original. I've had mine for over 10 years and it looks and feels brand new.

Sorry for the above post- I looked on their website and they no longer carry the buffer disc for the 28 but I see that Blackjack Buffers, as others have mentioned, have them on their site for $9.95.

Please note that polyurethane is available in different colors and you can not make the assumption of material from color alone. All of my buffers are polyurethane but I use amber for harder discs and black for softer.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for everone's input on this subject, I'm sure it was discussed in the past before I became a member of the forum. I hope it would help others new to Thompson when they purchase their first one.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 3 1928 recoil buffers from Numrich at $6.60 ea. They're clear, very firm yet somewhat flexible. It fits my Diamond K hybrid buffer pilot perfectly. Thickness is 3/16".

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/932430.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/ProductImage/932430.JPG

As to whether they're any good or not in use, don't know.

The $5 ones from Mikes machine guns are OOS. The photo there looks a lot like the ones I got from Numrich, which are a lighter shade of yellow..

http://www.mikesmachineguns.com/Sales.html

http://www.mikesmachineguns.com/sales/buffer_disk.JPG

• 5 years later...

If me, I would forget the Colt's buffer pilot and those small discs for shooting purposes. You want a Diamond K 1921/1928 Hybrid buffer pilot with a Diamond K polyurethane disc. For those Board members with my current book, An Amateur's Guide for the Colt's Thompson Submachine Gun, this Hybrid pilot is featured on page 157. More information is on page 176. I am not sure of current pricing but believe the whole package, including shipping, is well under $100.

There is no website for Diamond K companies. Send an email to Board member PK. at p-k@q.com requesting price information including shipping for the above items. Be patient. PK may take a few days to reply as he is a one man operation. That said, his products are outstanding and definitely worth the wait.

I would also advise against firing your Colt Model of 1921 Thompson with an original Colt 1921 actuator. Original actuators can be fragile and shear off a cocking ear. In addition, original actuators are very expensive and difficult to find. I also cover shooting a Colt's in my current book. Personalized copies available for $40 plus $4 shipping. Contact me via a PM for ordering information.

• 2 weeks later...