Thanks for accepting me as a new member.

My collecting interests are Military side arms, Machine Pistols & Rifles.

Where I live (Jersey - see image) we have a more liberal acceptance of registered firearms.

I've collected a number of firearms left behind by the Germans during their occupation (1940 - 45), mostly Luger, P38, K98 & MP40.

Club participation permits me a number of collectable Military firearms.

I joined this forum to assist with questions & share experiences of shooting these firearms.

Tomorrow I have the opportunity to view with possible purchase of a boxed 1928 Thompson (similar to the attached images).

Whilst we are not permitted full auto machine pistols & Rifles, a conversion to semi auto is acceptable to own & shoot.

I hope to share more with you soon.

All the best

post-262874-0-23097600-1598198678_thumb.jpg

post-262874-0-46456100-1598198795_thumb.jpg

post-262874-0-72008900-1598205204_thumb.gif

Edited by Jersey

Welcome on board and snap I have the same transit chest...

This link may interest you:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11386&hl=

This is an excellent website with lots of interesting contributors providing a wealth of information you can not find elsewhere, enjoy the journey.

Stay safe

Richard

Welcome from Northern IN, USA.

Welcome.

I hope that you find this website an interesting and informative resource; without the drama and shill posting that pervades a number of other firearms related websites.

Be well.

Thanks for the welcome - lots of info here for sure

This is an excellent website with lots of interesting contributors providing a wealth of information you can not find elsewhere, enjoy the journey.

Stay safe

Richard

Thanks for the welcome - Great link Richard

I've a lot of bedtime reading here in anticipation of the viewing tomorrow.

The Thompson could be one that was shipped to the UK - Colt or early Savage perhaps? I need to obtain the book - Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story for serial #'s etc...

Best

Stay safe

Richard

Thanks for the welcome - Great link Richard

I've a lot of bedtime reading here in anticipation of the viewing tomorrow.

The Thompson could be one that was shipped to the UK - Colt or early Savage perhaps? I need to obtain the book - Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story for serial #'s etc...

Best

What is the serial number? If you post that, some members on this board will be in a position to tell you straight away if it is a Colt or a Savage 1928, although I would still recommend you buy the 'Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story' book, it is an excellent read and I learned a lot from it.

​Here is another link which may interest you:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15057&page=2

The early Savage 18344, is now part of my collection. I bought it from Dermot, (765 21D), when he became disillusioned by the new legislation for deactivated weapons that was introduced into the EU a few years back, together with his former IRA Colt Thompson 1921.

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

Richard,

I'll have more info tomorrow, I've not seen it in the last 13 years, back then I'd lined up an S/42 1937 Luger that his father had 'collected' from the Mandalay Hotel where the previous owner had been billeted & surrendered.

I was too taken by the Luger with matching mag & holster and ammo at the time...

Best

post-262874-0-81957800-1598214009_thumb.jpg

post-262874-0-77580200-1598214019_thumb.jpg

post-262874-0-41411400-1598214032_thumb.jpg

post-262874-0-99385200-1598214045_thumb.jpg

Richard,

I'll have more info tomorrow, I've not seen it in the last 13 years, back then I'd lined up an S/42 1937 Luger that his father had 'collected' from the Mandalay Hotel where the previous owner had been billeted & surrendered.

I was too taken by the Luger with matching mag & holster and ammo at the time...

Best

That is a nice Luger, we have more than one thing in common, Lugers are my other passion. However, as I live on the UK mainland, the 12 Lugers in my collection are all deactivated.

Richard

Welcome Jersey, Indianapolis Indiana here.

I have had a few of the bring back weapons as well. P38's, Lugers, K98's.

My former industry was in the underwater photography business. i had a couple of customers in Jersey. I have heard there is great scuba diving there. Have you tried it there?

Jersey, I have one of your guns' brothers over here S/42 1937 with the gold trigger, ect. Mag number does not match however, that's nice to have as it always increases the value.

Richard, what method of deactivation is done to a Luger in the UK to make it legal to own?

MH

Jersey, I have one of your guns' brothers over here S/42 1937 with the gold trigger, ect. Mag number does not match however, that's nice to have as it always increases the value.

Richard, what method of deactivation is done to a Luger in the UK to make it legal to own?

MH

Mike,

PM me your email address and I'll send you an excel sheet with all the finer details... it'll be easier than copying them here, it covers a lot of ground.

Stay safe

Richard

Welcome Jersey, Indianapolis Indiana here.

I have had a few of the bring back weapons as well. P38's, Lugers, K98's.

My former industry was in the underwater photography business. i had a couple of customers in Jersey. I have heard there is great scuba diving there. Have you tried it there?

Thanks for the welcome,

PADI open water qualified, warmer and calmer diving in barbados thou.

Jersey has one of the largest tidal ranges in the world and at low tide the island nearly doubles in size.

I see you enjoy German arms too. I'm to see a possible artillery &/or K98 purchase this evening, both local pieces left behind.

post-262874-0-58507100-1598280092_thumb.jpg

MH

Mike, you can't beat the finish on an early strawed 1937.

Good to hear you have similar, mine's 1264 t just before the finish changed to hot salt blue.

Where I live (Jersey - see image) we have a more liberal acceptance of registered firearms.

The subject of the 1966 film "Triple Cross" was one of your famous residents...albeit behind bars.

Eddie Chapman, codenamed ZIGZAG, the British spy, who had been a burglar and expert safe-blower before WWII was imprisoned by the Nazis in 1940 during the occupation of Jersey. Having offered his services to them as a spy, he was trained, equipped and later dropped by parachute near Ely, Cambridgeshire. He immediately sought to tell the British authorities about his recruitment by the Nazis and was taken on by MI5 as a Double Cross agent.

Went to see the 1928 model tompson this evening. Boxed exactly as the attached image with 3x L drums. Converted to semi-auto, serial number S.87292. Seller looking for strong money - waiting to see if any negotiation possible. Has 2 41 dated P08 & P38 all matching.

post-262874-0-54589900-1598313875_thumb.jpg

Richard,

Best

That is a nice Luger, we have more than one thing in common, Lugers are my other passion. However, as I live on the UK mainland, the 12 Lugers in my collection are all deactivated.

Richard

What? You cant own a Luger there? Do not really know the rules there. Didnt even think pistols mattered anywhere. Are all pistols illegal? Shows you my limited knowledge!

MH

Mike, you can't beat the finish on an early strawed 1937.

Good to hear you have similar, mine's 1264 t just before the finish changed to hot salt blue.

The serial number on my S/42 1937 is 4405 S so they are indeed very close relatives.

Went to see the 1928 model tompson this evening. Boxed exactly as the attached image with 3x L drums. Converted to semi-auto, serial number S.87292. Seller looking for strong money - waiting to see if any negotiation possible. Has 2 41 dated P08 & P38 all matching.

Brendan,

We have a third thing in common, I am a PADI qualified too, although I have not dived for a few years. My best dives were in Scapa Flow on the remnants of the scuttled German Fleet from WW1, we needed dry suits for those dives, it was cold and visibility not always great, but worth it.

So that is an example of ‘Cash & Carry’ Savage produced Thompson ‘Model of 1928’, mine is serial number is 85140, and data obtained from Toms book, “Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story”, reveals that my 1928 was probably part of the 3rd order from Britain, placed on the 17th Sept. 1940, for 17,000 Thompsons. My other Model of 1928, S-18344 is an early Savage produced weapon, and again from information obtained from Toms book, was probably part of the 2nd order of 55,250 Thompsons shipped to Britain in 1940. S-18244 had also been converted to semi auto, when that was permitted in the UK, pre-1988, with the appropriate ‘BNP’ stamp on the receiver and stamps on the barrel.

Did you note who manufactured the drum magazines? When I bought my transit case, it had three Crosby drums in it.

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

Richard,

Best

Richard

What? You cant own a Luger there? Do not really know the rules there. Didnt even think pistols mattered anywhere. Are all pistols illegal? Shows you my limited knowledge!

Michael,

Afraid not, handguns have been illegal to own since the late 1990's on mainland UK. I had a colleague around that time who had served 22 years in the British Army, over 14 years of that in the Special Air Service and he had to surrender his handguns to the local police once the new law came in force.

In the aftermath of the Hungerford massacre, Parliament passed the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988. This confined semi-automatic and pump-action centre-fire rifles, military weapons firing explosive ammunition, short shotguns that had magazines, and elevated both pump-action and self-loading rifles to the Prohibited category. Registration and secure storage of shotguns held on Shotgun Certificates became required, and certain shotguns required a Firearm Certificate. This law did not effect .22 rimfire rifles and semi-automatic pistols.
However, following the Dunblane massacre, the government passed the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 and the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, defining "short firearms" as Section 5 Prohibited Weapons, which effectively banned private possession of handguns almost completely in Great Britain. Exceptions to the ban include muzzle-loading guns, pistols of historic interest, (such as pistols used in notable crimes, rare prototypes, unusual serial numbers, guns forming part of a collection), guns used for starting sporting events, signal pistols, pistols that are of particular aesthetic interest (such as engraved or jewelled guns) and shot pistols for pest control. Even the UK's Olympic shooters fell under this ban; shooters could only train in Northern Ireland (where the ban did not apply), the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or outside the UK.
Stay safe
Richard

Brendan,

We have a third thing in common, I am a PADI qualified too, although I have not dived for a few years. My best dives were in Scapa Flow on the remnants of the scuttled German Fleet from WW1, we needed dry suits for those dives, it was cold and visibility not always great, but worth it.

So that is an example of ‘Cash & Carry’ Savage produced Thompson ‘Model of 1928’, mine is serial number is 85140, and data obtained from Toms book, “Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story”, reveals that my 1928 was probably part of the 3rd order from Britain, placed on the 17th Sept. 1940, for 17,000 Thompsons. My other Model of 1928, S-18344 is an early Savage produced weapon, and again from information obtained from Toms book, was probably part of the 2nd order of 55,250 Thompsons shipped to Britain in 1940. S-18244 had also been converted to semi auto, when that was permitted in the UK, pre-1988, with the appropriate ‘BNP’ stamp on the receiver and stamps on the barrel.

Did you note who manufactured the drum magazines? When I bought my transit case, it had three Crosby drums in it.

Stay safe

Richard

Richard, great to hear of your diving escapades, I'm sure your dive was memorable (what you could see)! I really need to get some hours in again.

I've added the GB - The Tommy Gun story to my wish list in anticipation of next month's B'day - I shall leave it on my ebay favs for family to see & drop subtle hints when appropriate. From my review there's considerable info to assist me. It appears to have been very useful for you.

Sadly I didn't get to examine the L drums closely.

Best

Brendan,

You won't regret it, in this post there are some reviewers comments:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17273&hl=%2Bgreat+%2Bbritain+%2Bthe+%2Btommy+%2Bgun+%2Bstory

Stay safe

Richard