What would cause this mark on a receiver?

I had a new guy call me this am and asking about a weapon that he just purchased. #7013. He sent me some jpegs and it looks pretty clean. However there is a mark on the rear of the receiver that almost looks like a crack to me. What do you guys think? Pic attached

pix783266453.jpg

My bet is that is not a crack. Can he get a clean pic of the inside of the receiver?

If it were a crack, it would originate near a hole (pilot hole). The mark (scratch or indentation?) goes around the hole, even getting close to it. A crack would have gone right to it.

Also that area is not the highest stressed area of the receiver. It is in the corners, where West Hurleys (I know this is a Colt, but same geometry) have cracked in the past.

Nick never had that mark when i owned it, And if anybody knows my rep always great stuff and taken care of and taken apart correctly. Out of well over 100 Thompsons only #894 was restored. And when Gordon saw my last batch of 30 Colts he never had a issue.Heck i helped him with the book. I know a few members have repeated barrel changes and a refinish, or a ww2 part ha ha What a joke proved that as all bull crap or some form or jealousy Because they never stepped up to do a deal.And i can under stand some who want to hide things. If anybody ever called me on a gun i would let them know what was up and what i knew about it.

I have been retired ten years now. And since most of my true good friends are long gone. I don't bother with the drama clubs.

#7013 Was a nice Original gun going by memory.I did hear a few of The Colts i sold had a major over haul after they left me

In the last year or so i have seen them turn up and since i said I would help anyone with a issue on what i remember.Did not have a ton of Thompsons But i made it a quest to locate the best ones out there.Oh yeah and a My M.G.M. GUN was a reblue done By

M.G.M. I had talked to the main armorer there well over 30 years ago who was retired and worked on those guns before Earl bought that pile.It resides in Wisconsin collection.I hope the new owner is happy with #7013. It is a non defect 1921ac.

Sometimes when we get involved it keeps on rolling.

Look familiar?RON K.

post-504-0-42619400-1598291498_thumb.jpg

What reason would anyone use a screwdriver on the rear of a Thompson? It does not makes any sense to me.

Similar to trying to pry out a slide stop in a 1911.

Idiocy runs deep in the human genome.

Could have gotten that scratch if it were placed in a steel gunrack with the buttstock off....maybe more than once?

Other than that, I can't think of any other possibility other than maybe set on concrete sans buttstock and it twisted and tipped over?

Check into the guns history....might reveal a rack in it's past that could have added those scrapes?

Edited by john

people use any tool available, the easiest tool in this case is the screwdriver, tried to push the rod in and slipped off, the fellow only did it once, how many Thompson pivot plates have scratches from pushing to remove the safety and selector levers, myself made a plastic wedge when turned 90 degrees holds the pivot plate arm away for removal

yes look at 1911s, they have the idiot scratch 7 out of 10 samples

for that pivot buffer take a 1/4 diameter plastic rod and a file handle, push the rod in the file handle works great and will never scratch a receiver

many scratches were inflicted on firearms, who would have figured a firearm worth 200 dollars would buy a house 70 years later

Edited by laurencen

Nobody with common sense could figure that Price.I bought the gun if memory is correct for $5,000....so the new seller was the bandit i was just the driver.i noticed one i sold for $7,000 back 30 years ago sold for $68,000.00 the later guys made all the big bucks the early old guys now made freaking squat.

Spend $5,000 make $2,000

Spend $40,000 make $28 grand.

I remember selling #98 for $10,000.00 and the guy reselling it with some b.s. story for $28,000.

the early guys are like football players retired form the 60's.. the whole retirement for life is now one season for one player paycheck.

the days of $5,000.00 Thompsons.......RON K.

Colt21a - I totally agree. I have a whole list of NFA items that I bought and sold for almost the same prices before about 15-20 years ago. It is pretty shocking to think of how quickly these have appreciated over the last few years. This is the supply and demand tipping point we used to hypothesize about while cursing the legislation designed to create this eventual scenario. Edited by heavy artillery

Add to that the factor that your US paper currency has been tremendously devalued by the FED’s printing pressings being completely out of control and you will find that old Thompson was one of the best investments you ever made, if you hung on to it. Better than any savings account. For a benchmark, gold was $279.11 an ounce 20 years ago. Today it is well over $1900 per ounce.

It looks like a hair stuck in oil against the surface of the steel.

post-2814-0-55369900-1598287298.jpg

Notice there is a hair dangling off the top of the receiver and behind the rear sight. That dangling hair looks like a continuation of the "mark". There's also another extraneous hair off to the right.

I hope I'm correct.

Curl

• Upvote 1

Darn people have the Thompsons laying in the Cat box. Clean off the pussy hair and get back to business. Sharp eye, ha ha like when you get packages and hair is under the tape. Blondes having more fun.

post-504-0-84504900-1598461818_thumb.jpg

Edited by colt21a

• 7 months later...

Hello to all, I am the Owner of 7013 that Nick posted about. Its not that I am new its that I was stuck overseas due to the China V. An extra year twiddling my thumbs. I was working off the pics sent buy the individual I bought it from.

Happy to say I have returned. After my arrival, My Colt was transfered to my Dealer perfect timing. I unboxed it and no mark no scratch nothing perfectly smooth. Arsenic Blue huh. Now the wait begins again!

I appreciate all the inputs and love the forum.

Ken

Glad you got 7013. Having that gun with the others never bothered me in the least.It was a nice one.Sure i had way better, and also some winners.My Kansas City was a boat anchor. But revived from the guy i sold it to. Whomever bought it from Kents estate...anyways glad you like #7013.

I have been going over some old Thompson pics and material i long put away.

Ron K.

post-504-0-05609100-1619373602_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-42281600-1619374509_thumb.jpg