AN rebuild marking.

pitfighter,

It would be interesting to know how a French deactivated Thompson submachine gun was legally registered in the USA. I would guess it was acquired by a company like Interarms or Service Armament years ago and imported into the USA. If it was deactivated in the past, I have heard that the old deactivation standards in Europe usually only involved the barrel and bolt. A Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request would certainly provide more information.

Thank you for sharing!

Here is a more recent French deactivation stamp from 2016, hence reference to EU, but the crown looks the same.

French dewat stamp 2016.JPG

and an older mark, like the one on your M1, stamped on a revolver.

French revolver marked.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

This is one fantastic forum. Thank you Frank Iannamico for starting this Board and David Albert for keeping it going!

It now appears pitfighter's M1 Thompson was deactivated or demilitarized in France sometime in the past. How it found its way to the USA would be an interesting story. I do know that receivers only were imported into the USA by Interarms in the 1950s and 1960s. Perhaps, Interarms purchased some deactivated Thompson guns in France with unaltered or intact receivers, stripped the guns and imported these guns as receivers only. Just a guess on my part. A Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) would certainly provide more information, i.e. a 1968 Amnesty registration as a dewat. Regardless, it would be an interesting story.

pitfighter, I will help you with a FOIA request, if interested. Contact me at tkd5501@fuse.net and we can start the process, which is normally free.

This is one fantastic forum. Thank you Frank Iannamico for starting this Board and David Albert for keeping it going!

It now appears pitfighter's M1 Thompson was deactivated or demilitarized in France sometime in the past. How it found its way to the USA would be an interesting story. I do know that receivers only were imported into the USA by Interarms in the 1950s and 1960s. Perhaps, Interarms purchased some deactivated Thompson guns in France with unaltered or intact receivers, stripped the guns and imported these guns as receivers only. Just a guess on my part. A Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) would certainly provide more information, i.e. a 1968 Amnesty registration as a dewat. Regardless, it would be an interesting story.

pitfighter, I will help you with a FOIA request, if interested. Contact me at tkd5501@fuse.net and we can start the process, which is normally free.

Thank you, for your offer to help. I had considered a FOIA request on this for a while and have actually drafted the letter.

It will be interesting to perhaps learn something of its history.

Tom,

since reading your post earlier this afternoon, With reference to your mention of "I do know that receivers only were imported into the USA by Interarms in the 1950s and 1960s". with the assistance of search engines, I have been attempting to review the history of French laws on deactivation, (DEWAT). I know there has been many changes in the UK laws over the years, so I presumed France would be the same.

After many hours I have come across this reference: "The Stamp. The 1978 regulations introduced that only the St Etienne proof house was approved to carry out neutralization operations. When the neutralization is carried out by St Etienne, the proof house affixes on the main parts of the weapon a hallmark representing the letters AN surmounted by a crown and issues two official certificates of neutralization, one for the owner, the 'other for administration" ,https://mvcgfrance.org/menu3/utile_savoir/UtileR2.html.

So perhaps the 'AN surmounted by a crown' stamp was only used after 1978? From the year 1983, the AN surmounted by a crown was followed by a code letter which changed each year. They skipped the letters 'O' and 'X'. So 1983 had the letter code 'A', 1990 letter code 'H', 2006 the letter 'Z' and following that, 2007 double 'AA' 2008 'AB' etc.

AN Z 2006.JPG

AA 2007.JPG

AA 2007 Stamp.JPG

So from my enquiries so far, Pitfighters, 'AN / Crown' stamp, as it has no extra code letter, would have been added to the receiver of his M1 between 1978 and 1983.

Perhaps one of the French members of the board can confirm or refute that information.

Post 2016, the French deactivations also added the letter EU and the year of deactivation, example shown in post #15.

Richard

Edited by rpbcps
  • Upvote 1