Would Like To Take The Thompson...

My son informed me yesterday that he will be deploying to Iraq in the near future. As an indirect fire support infantryman (mortars) he has trained on all of the current small arms in use by the army...he say's he wishes that he could take the WH 28 with him instead of what he has been issued. I guess exposure to the solidly built weapons of the past has spoiled him to the issue weapons of today.

C6

Could be...especially after spending several months this summer at "Camp Swampy" outside Savannah. (Fort Stewart)

I thinks his biggest complaint is the breakdown rate of the weapons he's experienced. He informed me yesterday that a SAW overheated and blew up, with a piece of steel striking one soldiers juglar vein.

I guess at 6'3" and 193 the 12 pound tommy wouldn't bother him much. Boy.

He has always been worried about my being a police officer and the risks involved with the job....due to his upcoming deployment, my photo could be put in the dictionary next to the definition of worry. I'm extremely proud of him, but I can't wait for his enlistment to expire.

Steve

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say I hope he makes it home safe to shoot more venerable weapons at targets less inclined to shoot first or return fire....

BB

Deputy 89C6: Our thoughts are with you and your son. Thanks to the sacrifices of our service personnel, past and present, we live in the great country, with freedoms we take for granted. May God protect them all and keep them safe.

Deputy 89C6,

I remember my lottery number was one from the top at the end of the Vietnam war, I was sure I was going to be drafted ( the draft was ended 2 weeks later, without me getting called), end went to the local recruiting office to enquire what area of the armed forces still used Thompsons... funny how something like that can be kind of a security blanket. The recruiter looked at me like I was nut's and said something to the effect of " you will just have to wait and see when you get there".

My thanks and best wishes for your son to keep it safe.

Zamm

Deputy, if he takes your registered WH28 out of this country he will not be able to bring it back legally. just my .02 Good luck to him and thank him for his service to his country.

As good a weapon as it is, or any of the W. W. II era weapons are, I just hope he makes it back unharmed.

He's not taking the WH anywhere....he just favors the old weapons. Actually, he told me that the M14 is what he wished was still issue. PK is currently working on a 1927A1 for me doing a barrel/comp job and some other fine tuning projects...I plan on giving him that weapon before he ships out, along with a M1911 - 1933 manufactured Colt.

His list for after the army consisit of a FA Thompson M1 and a Sten....to be young, single and have all of that combat enlistment bonus to spend when you get out!

Thanks for the support guys...he currently isn't slated to go until January of '05 when the 3rd Infantry rotates and I'm already a basket case...I don't what I'm going to do when he is actually over there. While we are prepared to take risks we are never prepared for our children to do so.

Steve

Deputy,... I will pray for his safe return and your peace of mind till he does return,... it is striking to me to see your son wants a Sten upon his return...that was my first NFA and the first time at our club`s official shoot,the Sten allowed me to occupy a space on the line,... a place of honor,I felt somehow...changed... like I could only be there because of the sacrifices of those who went before your son to serve and protect our Constitution. May GOD keep him safe and all those that serve. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Really, the only thing you can do is what families have always done. Hope for good news and never think of what may happen. When my Dad was in the ETO, my Grandmother said that she looked for the postman, and wished to never see Western Union at her door.