M1 M1a1 Question

First of all, this question is for those who own both a 1928 AND an M1/M1A1 (the same gun to me) or have in the past. This question is NOT intended for those who just own one or the other (like me) or have simply shot both. This is not for semi owners either.

I would like to know your personal opinions on which gun you like better and why. Should I buy an M1/M1A1? Let me know what you think on muzzle climb, bbl heating, disassembly, cleaning, sights, etc...and anything else you can think of.

I may be interested in purchasing an M1/M1A1 in the near future.

Thanks

Jr

I have a 1928 and a M1. I like them both. The M1 I think is a little easier to clean with less parts. The rate of fire is just a tick slower than the '28. The only thing about the M1 is it won't take a drum. It you don't mind 30 rounds at a time, then your fine.If you like to dump 50 or more, then the '28. I have a horizontal forearm on both guns for the military look. The M1 is about 1/2 lb heavier then my '28.

I don't notice much muzzel climb out of either gun. But it all depends on how you hold the gun. I've had people shoot both and some chase the squirrels in the tree tops and some don't. As far as barrel heating, I don't think it is anything to be of concern, unless your burning a thousand rounds or more as fast as you can!

The thing about the '28 is you can slide a drum in the gun and fire away, but you can dump alot of money into a drum,and out of a drum. If you looking for the SPR look, go with the M1, if you are looking for the gangster look of the 20's-30's, go for a 1928/21. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Hey John Jr,

I might be able to answer your question in a few weeks a little better as I currently have a 1928A1, since 2000, and have an M1A1 WH incoming. But I will tell you I'm attracted to the higher rate of fire of the M1. The simpler design of the M1 might lend itself to better reliability and easier maintenance as well as the availability of replacement parts at more more competitive prices than the 28's.

A friend of mine in the Class 3 business likes the M1 because it lacks the compensator blowing the gases back in his face when firing, though I have never noticed a problem on my '28 as long as I'm using clean ammunition.

I like the simple sights better than the Lyman adjustable. The Lyman is just not suitable for what a SMG's intended use.

Muzzle climb can be a problem on short bursts with the higher rate of fire and no compensator, but practice along with longer bursts seems to negate that disadvantage.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I look forward to extensive side by side testing in the near future. Best regards.

I have a '28 and an M1A1. I first got the '28, ya know, it's the Thompson everyone thinks of, vertical foregrip, L drum, Cutts, etc... It was and still is a great piece. Then I came into an M1A1 for a really good price, so I picked it up. I figured I turn around and sell it for a few extra bucks and move on. Well, because it was so much fun, I played with it for longer than I had anticipated, but eventually, someone was looking for one and made an offer on it. So I sold it. I didn't think much of it for awhile, but sellers remorse started to kick in. I really started to miss it. It is shorter with a slower rate of fire and had the simpler L sight. And although the '28 and M1A1 are both Thompsons, they have enough individual personalities, that they are completely different guns to me. Suffice it to say, I needed to find another M1A1. Fast forward about a year and I found another M1A1- bought it and never looked back.

If I had to choose between the two, I just don't know. Sure the '28 is the classical image of a Thompson, but the simplistic nature of the M1A1 is hard to beat. Parts are typically cheaper for the M1A1, especially NOS barrels. I guess the biggest factor is the ability to use drums. To tell you the truth though, I really don't shoot drums very often in the '28. If I wanted more capacity in the M1A1, I could always get the magazines that are two 30s welded together for, I think, 55 rounds or thereabout (not to mention it can double as a monopod). Cleaning is easier in the M1A1- less parts and easier to take apart. Muzzle climb is negligible in both with proper shooting technique, I really couldn't say if one has more than the other. I like the peep sight of the M1A1 better, but you could really put either sight on either gun.

Bottom line is if you have the money for an M1A1, go ahead and get it. I feel there is enough difference between it and the '28 to warrant owning both.

Good Luck!

Mike

The M1A1 is a pug ugly little brute. It is ass heavy and slips off the shoulder. Only reason I ended up with one was because I sent a guy $100 to keep an eye out for a Thompson for me. Was hoping for a 1928, but he sent this little piggy. It looks cool with my Col. Miller lifesized action figure and it's the M1A1 was the first subgun I ever shot, otherwise it would be outta here. One plus is parts tend to be cheaper and more available for it than the '28.

If I only owned one Thompson, it would be the military 1928A1. Best of all worlds..... 1921 style, M1A1 rate of fire, and the military heritage (Brit proofs would make it perfect).