Virginia State Police Thompsons

Recently, I visited the Virginia State Police museum in Richmond and saw the two Colt 1921 weapons on display. They are serial number 12143 & 2437. I have Tracy Hill's book that shows 12143 as VSP ownership, but not 2437. Does anyone have any data on either weapon other than the simple listing of 12143 being owned by the VSP?

12143 is in pretty nice shape. 2437 looks kind of tired and has both ears broken off the actuator.

Apparently, these two weapons, along with another in the VSP school weapons locker, were missed in a boiler room when the weapons were sold in the 1970's.

No they are not for sale. I asked.

Sniper

Yes, that's what I thought. #2437 is a new number and is around the number sequence of the rest of the VSP weapons, but 12143 is way outside. If 12143 was a 28 Navy conversion, wouldn't it have a Cutts Compensator? I can verify that 12143 does not have a compensator.

Sniper

sniper,

Actually a Colt Navy could be ordered with or without a Cutts, but the latter would be one of the rarer surviving TSMG configurations. If this was initially sold as a 1921A and then sent back for the slower rate of fire components and overstamp, AO would not automatically add the Cutts if not requested. Can you possibly post a pic?

Arthur-I have not yet mastered the posting of photos. But if you will send me your email address, will send one to you that shows the two weapons in the museum.

snipershot1944@yahoo.com

Snipershot1944 sent me the picture to post. NO 12143 is on top and NO 2437 is on bottom. I checked my Cox book and noted that NO 12143 is listed as a 28 Navy model. Roger stated that the Cutts Compensator was attached to virtually every 28 Navy sold and he has only observed only one 28 Navy without a compensator - NO 4505. For what its worth, Roger also stated that he observed almost all the guns in his serial number listing.

Here is the picture - thanks Snipershot1944.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Auto-Ordnance/VirginiaStatePoliceTopNO12143andBot.jpg