RIA Auction BAR

I just got the RIA September auction catalogs and they will be offering a NESA 1918A2. The price estimate is 20K -30K plus the buyers premium. I am new to BAR's and their current values. This gun is arsenal refinished with a RA/W S overstamp . I assume Rock Island Armory for a rebuild? Also their is a number in the receiver visible through the ejection port. Would these features have any significant effect on the guns value? Gun is listed on page 179 of new catalog. Any opinions on buying or avoiding would be appreciated along is a fair price for buyer. Thanks.....Lot number 1380

Been going over the descriptions of the MGs offered and as usual there is a lot of useless historical blab but also the usual scanty info, hyped condition, misinformation, and errors. Couple examples: the 1917a1 made by Erb is listed as having a 1917 tripod which is incorrect as it is a 1917a1 tripod, a completely different and far more valuable tripod. Pic is of Val Browning firing a 1917 on a 1917 tripod: the Colt BAR is not an experimental model but a gun that was without ID and serial number in the ColtR&D department until that info was stamped onto it years later as was done with a number of other MGs held by Colt for many, many years. I had a Colt M2HB .50 with an identical stamped serial number a couple numbers away from the one on that BAR: the very clean MG42 hyped as having all original finish has been reblued: the 1910 Maxim that I built for Alan has the repainted jacket and Sokolov cleverly described in a way to suggest that the paint is original to the gun and mount: the Breda is not a 6.5mm Model 30, but a Model 35, Costa Rican Contract example in 7mm which is actually clearly stamped on the gun and mentioned in the description. The magazine DOES detach from the receiver and there is a spare in the picture!! Ihave an M35 in my collection. How can they miss this stuff? There are lots more information pitfalls and hazards. If you are serious about trying to win an MG it is adviseable to visit RIA to inspect the items.

The RA is probably Raritan Arsenal. I dont recognize the W and S. Many BARs had numbers on the inside of the receiver so it is not an issue. Estimated value is not out of line. FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

• 5 weeks later...

Well i did a absentee bid 22.5K plus premium on this BAR.Someone else is going to enjoy it because the winning bid was 35K plus premium (13-17%) depending on payment options. I realize one gun sale does not make the market but is this a insane price or did someone get a fair deal?

MrBill,

For the amount of your bid you might get a Group Ind. BAR.

I have been watching BAR prices for a year now. From what I've noticed you will find 2 dozen Thompsons for every BAR offered for sale.

So,---when a real BAR comes up for sale a certain type of person tends to get excited.

Jim C

Edited by jim c 351