Sell package deal or break it down

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more attractive to a Thompson buyer?

• Getting a bit of a bargin by buying a package deal. (more initial output of cash)
    • Purchase just the Thompson then slowly build up stock of drums, mags and parts.

I would rather sell everything at once by doing a package deal.

Pros for the seller : its a one and done. No need to spend the time taking pictures of each item, tracking which buyer is buying what item....

Pros for the buyer : Package deal a bit cheaper than purchasing each item individually.

Everything they need (Thompson, drums, mags, spare parts) is done is one purchase.

Cons for the seller : not obtaining the max price due to package deal. Selling each item individually would bring in more money overall.

Cons for the buyer : larger output of cash for initial purchase (may out price a number of potential buyers)

Miss out on getting to hunt for each drum, mag and parts.

I included a Poll, hopefully it works.

Which would rather do from a Seller and Buyer perspective?

One last item. If posted on Subguns, is it allowed to post the link in a thread here?

Edited by JimFromFL

I'm mixed. I've spent years and dollars collecting everything to go with a gun and I've also bought packages. When I get rid of a gun, I don't usually plan on purchasing another, so as a sweetener for a quick no haggle sale, I throw in the accessories. I don't want to look at accessories for a gun I no longer have. Have to mess with selling them, they take up space, they remind me of what was, what could have been, etc.

Con: when you find a really good deal on a gun to replace a gun you just sold and you remember you sold all the accessories with the last one.

I don't collect any more, so for the few guns I have bought over the last few years, I avoid buying anything more than mags and critical spares....and maybe a bayonet...and a bipod...and mag pouches...

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

The answer is "it depends". More stuff adds a higher price weeding out buyers that maybe could swing the gun, but not the package. I've had to buy guns to get certain rare accessories, but the guns were commodities and the only thing that got the gun sold fast was the accessories,so the guys elected to sell the "package only" so that worked in the sellers favor. Thompsons IMO are commodities and I'd include one mag only with the gun and sell of the rest separate normally, but that's because I have others and am not getting out. If I were getting out, I'd probably sweeten the deal with accessories to get it all gone at once. If I were splitting it though I might offer up a drum at a deal to the buyer to make the sale? Maybe this week I'd include a pair of Nike to get some buzz going, or shoot them up first and picture them with the gun? Every deal is unique.

Sell gun by itself. Offer extras to buyer and let him choose

Make the gun as cheap as possible. A package raises the price of the gun and lowers the percent of people who can afford your gun.

Many people dont even add up all the extras and their value. Ive talked with many buyers on different guns and have had to add up the extras to show them what they are actually paying for the gun.

The extras arent that hard to sell. Offer a fair price and they sell in 1-2 weeks.

Want to sell your gun quick. Sell it by itself

Want to sell your gun slow. Make it hundreds or thousands more unloading your spare parts that a buyer may not even want.

Make the gun as cheap as possible. A package raises the price of the gun and lowers the percent of people who can afford your gun.

Many people dont even add up all the extras and their value. Ive talked with many buyers on different guns and have had to add up the extras to show them what they are actually paying for the gun.

The extras arent that hard to sell. Offer a fair price and they sell in 1-2 weeks.

Want to sell your gun slow. Make it hundreds or thousands more unloading your spare parts that a buyer may not even want.

Huggy, you said it. Spot on.

For me it depends on how rare the extra parts are.

When I recently bought my matching Japanese Type 11 machine gun, the seller also offered me all of his spare parts for it. (Practically an entire parts kit, original sling, muzzle cover, stripper clips, etc). Since the parts are pretty much impossible to find and I'm not one to hunt down parts, I gladly accepted the offer and bought everything.

On the flip side, when looking for a Bren MKI, I only want the gun. The spare parts and accessories are so plentiful I'd rather get them myself unless they are basically given to me.

When I said as a sweetener, I threw the accessories in with the gun. I didnt charge extra for them. Made for a more attractive sale and it's good gun karma. The last several MG's people offered me included a ton of accessories. I don't sell MGs for a living, so I don't need to make every last dollar I can on the sale. I got to enjoy them for a while, pass them along to someone else who hopefully can and we both made a profit. Edited by Waffen Und Bier

For me parts were in the deal or without. I chose with as I like spare parts and stuff. Depends on what it is to me on parts if these are hard to find etc. just depends on what it is.

Correct huggy it depends for me at least on what the spares are and their cost too. On my first TSMG it mattered to me on how it was configured (WH with GI parts or a GI). I found a WH with GI parts and spare parts in addition which was what I wanted. Now if you shooting guns that spare parts are not out there, hard to source or not easily remade a different ball game. Sometimes it may not be just the cost it may be can you even find a spare part if you need one even to keep shooting. I have a all matching Luger I dont shoot due to all the parts, grips etc. are matching serial numbers and if one breaks it goes from Collectable to a parts gun. Parts are out there but to find the right s/n probably not. TSMG parts are out there so for me that was a plus too.

I bought a Luger some time back. Decent condition. Great deal...

After the deal was DONE the sellers asks "Hey, You want the original holster it was brought-back in with paperwork, tool and spare matching mag?"

He had me...Who could say "No" to THAT? The "Great deal" turned into a checkbook-shredding route! Phil

I like to buy accessories with the gun IF they are indeed valuable (compared to reproduction stuff or easy to get items) AND there is a suitable discount for the package.

If it rerpo stuff its just a distraction especially if there are lots of photos of it which could be used for the gun.

I have done it both ways. Basically, I keep the spares if I think there is a chance I will get another of the same type gun. Otherwise, they are just clutter. I guess I am too lazy to sell them off individually. I just sold an MG 42 with 2 Lafettes, a dozen barrels and enough spares to build 3 or 4 more guns if you had receivers (and have plenty of spare small parts for all of them). Could I have gotten more over time on GunBroker? Probably, but that seemed like more work than I was willing to put in. We put some extra cash in the deal for parts but certainly not retail. Everyone walked away happy.