Sticking Rounds

I took the 28 out today, to test out my misfiring problem. Before I went out, I gave the gun a thorough cleaning and removed some crud built up where the bullet seats into the chamber. It worked much better this time, at least on semi. But on short bursts it misfired about every ten rounds. I noticed that most of the problems occurred with the first round. The bolt would strip the round out of the mag, but wouldn't fully seat the round. The round stuck about 1/16th of an inch before fully seating. I would remove the mag and pull back the bolt. I can giggle the round back in, using gravity. It seats just fine without any resistance. Doesn't this sound like the bullet is feeding crooked? What would cause such a thing? It does the same on all my mags and drum. I changed the pilot, buffer, and also tried a different spring. (unfortunately the only extra spring I had was from an old parts kit) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I'm using the 220 g African stuff. I think it's called Denel.

Sgt

Does your brass on the misfed rounds have any indentations on the base of the case or a "crecent" indentation on the side of the case? I had similair problems with my WH and it seemed to be caused by a burr on the front (very leading edge) of the bolt (savage manufacture). The burr seemed to grab the base of the case rather that let it side into the chamber. A couple of light touches with a dremel on the bolt solved the problem.

Chip--

Hey, that's a thought! I didn't recall anything like that but next time I'm out I'll take a look. Better yet, I have a spare savage bolt. I didn't think that could do anything so I didn't change it out. That will be the first thing I'll do before I go out next time.

Sgt.,

My WH M1 is at the doctor now for the same problem. In its case the chamber was a little too small. ( I had the same problem with an UZI bolt conversion). Let me know if you are able to go to the range thru the week, I could meet you there. I have some tried and true magazines and drum that I used with the Overstamp. I thought your gun ran fine with magtech ammo in my drum.

Hey Sten--

Good to hear for you. I wonder how the chamber got small with your M1? Do you think it left the factory that way? Did you say it was a W.H.? Yea, when we were out last time, mine did a lot better than the next time I took it out. The ammo dump works better than short bursts.

I'm entertaining guests this week, but may next week will be a good time to do some shooting. I'll give you a call later next week.

Sorry to see you are still having troubles, Ralph.

If the cartridge is getting onto the feed ramp and is ahead of the bolt (not under it), the cause is most likely the chamber. Is this a Savage barrel or a replacement?

I have not tried the PMP product but they generally make god stuff. Do you have the same problem with regular old US ball?

Pk--

Looks like a really old Savage barrel on my gun. I don't know if it makes any difference, but there are a few places that look distorted, almost like a few subtle bulges that partially circle the barrel. I haven't tried the Ball ammo yet. I've been thinking of sending it to you and have the barrel evaluated and also securing my rear sight.

Jr.

How did you fix it?

Phil--

I could be wrong, but I don't think the gun was a rewatt. I have the amnesty registration paperwork and it had one owner after that, until I bought it. Would the amnesty paperwork indicate whether it was a dewat? (see link)

http://home.comcast.net/~ralfdog/Savage/amnesty.htm

It is a Savage 1928a1 and has matching serial numbers, but was blued at some point. The last owner was Mr. Galati of "Galati International Gun Cases" He assured me that it wasn't rewatted. The barrel has the slight rings further up between the comp. and where the ribs start. They are very subtle and you wouldn't notice it unless you held it up to the light and saw how the reflections distort. Regardless, your observation of the grabbing is an accurate description, only it hangs in the feeding process, yet offers no resistance when you just stick the round in with your finger. When I fired it the first time with Sten Guy, we didn't have any problems when he used his ammo, 230 gr by Mag Tech (Brazillian Manfac.)

Thanks Phil--

That was helpful. I am suspecting the barrel also. In addition it has a loose Lyman, so I'm pretty convinced that I need to send it out to PK. After he gets it reliable, I'll give it more TLC than its ever had. I'll probably take it out one more time before I do. I'll try to recover some of the spent casing and see if they tell me anything.

Sgt;

I looked at a couple of spent casings at the range that day. They appeared to be fine. Almost like the bullet was pulled. No marks on the side or extractor marks. The case mouths weren't even dented.

Everyone has a suggestion so here is mine.--- Try the gun with a proven magazine.. I feel like it ran pretty good with my drum.. It may be something simple.. I would be happy to go to the range one evening to try to help with the problem. Call me and we'll go to an outdoor range ( those Thompsons tend to climb )..

Yea, just because I sprayed out some range lights, Sten won't ever let me live it down. And Phil, I didn't like that crack either. White letters are a "life and death" matter, extremely profound, and should not be taken lightly! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I love seeing that stuff. All the collectors do it now, so it's sometimes hard to believe that it was a vintage practice.