1928 Dewat - C&r

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif responded to my initial posts regarding activating my Savage 1928 dewat. Being a resident of Michigan I had to have a C&R status in order to legally activate my Thompson. Quite a few of you contacted me with some doubt in doing this, with regards to retaining the C&R once it was activated. I also had some reservation so I contacted the ATF firearms technology branch for a ruling, I included all the pertinent details about the weapon. I received a prompt and courteous letter from Mr. Sterling Nixon, Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch, in which he stated that the "Subsequent reactivation of this properly registered machinegun does not constitute the manufacture of a new machinegun" and your model 1928 will retain the C&R status. So, all that remains is getting the CLEO sign off, and shipping it to PK. And, a special thank you to PK and Hawksnest for their very helpful information

Glad to hear the good news and that antother WW2 era Thompson can "come back to life." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Enjoy! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

Eagle--

I love happy endings like this! Maybe I should say, beginnings.

Eagle3,...when you ship it to PK to be rewatted,your 28 will be sitting next to my 28 waiting for the exact same thing...the paperwork was the stiffest hurdle,but I think we have cleared that one finally...it will be interesting to compare the finished products...pics and posts to follow...good luck with the wait... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Gentlemen, thank you for your upbeat posts, I appreciate every one of them. But, after reading my post, and before anyone corrects me on it, I would like to add: Yes, I know that it does not go from a CLEO sign off right to PK. I am fully aware of the 90 days (hopefully not longer) in getting the OK from the BATF. All my paper work, finger print cards etc. have all been taken care of.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YOU - AND A HAPPY THOMPSON NEW YEAR

Eagle3

I to reside in MI and was curious if you were dealing with a city or county government and if so which one. I went the semi route not knowing what I do now but I could see some counties or cities chief leo not wanting to sign off. Did you set up a face to face with him or her to make sure they would do it before you purchased the gun?

In regards to PK I have my M1WH back and the 27A1WH is in line waiting for the 28 look a like conversion. Good luck with your new toy and I can see I need to set up an appointment with my chief leo. Wish I had found this board before I purchased my semis instead I learned all this info after having the normal WH problems and came across the board while looking for info on repairs.

M1Brian

Hey guys! What county are you in?

I am in Livingston Co. My CLEO signed off last year, and said he had done "a few" of these in his time! Bummer is he is retiring, and I don't know much about his replacement. I was in the Sherriff's office today for a "inspection" of a 1911 I built, and looked around the lobby (it is at the Jail)- there was a 1928 on the wall in a display! I was shocked, as jail inmates were cleaning up the case! Then I read it - MGC - with 10 round drum! Sure looked good - from 10+ feet - and even closer it is a nice replica! The inmates were saying it was the "real thing".

Maybe this new Sherriff likes tommy! Cool!

M1 Brian,

In my initial posting I stated that I purchased the Thompson over thirty years ago. At that time I had to go through the same process that I am now going through, except for the $200 transfer tax, as it was on a form 5.

It is always better to meet and talk with your CLEO face to face, they can brush you off over the phone. Some very good information can be found in Frank Innammico's book "Machine Gun Buyers Guide". It answers a lot of questions.

Too bad that we are a C&R state, as it really restricts our ability to acquire some interesting pieces.

giantpanda4

I reside in SW Oakland county that just happens to border on Livingston. I usally shoot at Island Lake State Recreation Area gun range and one of the DNR range officers loves shooting my WHM1 semi.

Good news though. The tree huggers in your county that had the range closed in late november must have failed. The range opened back up the other day so as soon as bow season finishes up I should be there with Thompson in hand. To bad you cant use the WHM1 in the park for coyote thining purposes. Ive been sitting in my tree watching them run wild while the deer are staying away.

M1Brian