Need input on GSG MP40

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Haenelistklasse

Haenelistklasse

• Regular Group
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

Yes WALL ART and for the one you shoot still a valuable MP-40 as the years go by less and less around.And parts will soon dry up.Nobody is finding any hidden stash anymore in the world.And for anybody new coming into the market the GSG will be what they get.

Since many can not afford the entry into just one gun let alone a few now.I remember when o.o. Landies was selling them for $5,000.00 each.and mags at $25.00, Now forgotten history.

And when they brought in the pre samples for under $1,500.00.

Yes laws and market destroyed it all.

And can never turn back that page again.

so will be happy with the cheap shoot and not WALL ART....

In old age.

RON K.

I remember seeing C&R MP40s advertised in the Shotgun News back in the day being advertised for the "crazy" price of like $2000. I didn't have the money and thought that even a minor ticket would keep you out of the game. Those were the days looking back on it now.

#22 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:History, ancient coins, antiques of all descriptions.

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

A helpful upgrade to the charging handle from Atlantic Wall. I ordered one ($13.99 w/ free shipping). Will report back.

http://www.atlanticw...ADE-_p_639.html

#23 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:43 PM

The new charging handle is nice and looks more like an original. But, the cheapo bakelite hand-guards won't fit, so will probably paint the factory ones. Some folks have done a really good job of it. if anyone is interested there is a GSG MP40 help page on Facebook that isn't bad.  https://www.facebook...328603708009532

Edited by anticus, 27 November 2020 - 08:20 PM.

#24 68coupe

68coupe

• Regular Group
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

Atlantic Wall charging handle works, but the spring is kind of a booger to install. Instructions say compress spring while driving in pin, or something like that. Much easier said than done. Once reassembled, though, I can't envision the charging handle coming out with anything short of a hand grenade blast, although it's plenty easy to pull out. Go figure. I was a little concerned about the muzzle nut, but it seems to be of quality manufacture, and has a much authentic "look" to it.

When new, it wouldn't eat anything but 115gr, but with a little barrel ramp polishing, I got it to take 124gr with no problem. Finding the proper torx bits was a true challenge. More so than taking the frame apart to polish the barrel ramp. Be sure not to remove too much material, as you would be encroaching into the chamber.

I also had some issues with the stock set. I had to do quite a bit of fitting for the latch button to work, but it works quite nicely now. It's a fun range toy and draws comments every time I go. If you leave the mags loaded, the springs relax in time. Mine are tougher to load without a loading aid than my Beretta, but not by much any more. I have purchased an original loading device and if I manage to make it functional, I'll be sure to pass the word on how I did it.

Karl

#25 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:00 AM

The factory loader works pretty well.

#26 Gold1927a1

Gold1927a1

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:55 PM

I know this is qn old thread but wanted to agree I have had zero malfunctions with mine. It's a great gun. The reciever is not pot metal it is a purified zinc, zamak(sp?) That is quite durable.

Would definately replace the trigger bar and replace the bolt handle retaining spring

#27 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:51 PM

I sold the sbr one i had it was nice but not the same as any original MP-40 heck even a tube gun is better since you do have a original ww2 parts kit on it to make it work.

I call it the poor guys poor guy Replicant MP-40... however it shoots 9mm when you want it to. and yes it is a real gun. but is great if you don't have $20 grand to spend on a dream. and today most really don't unless they sell something else they hold dear.Ron K. 

Attached Files