Guys, it's worth a try.

LSU Tiger

• 2 weeks later...

This same bill is how the flood of surplus guns was able to be imported into the USA (post 1986) in numbers not seen since the 1960's.

One other point that is worth taking the time to "research", NFA is NOT protected by the Second Amendment to the US Constitution.

The courts have ruled on that more than once.

I was shocked to learn the above, it was the attorneys at Reeves-Dola (Washington based, representing the F.A.I.R Trade Group) who explained this to me while I was on the board of directors.

The F.A.I.R. Trade board met with the department heads of ATF at least twice a year, right across the table.

I like being prepared for meetings such as this, so I would have some pretty lengthy discussions with the attorney's.

Those same attorneys have ended a lot of "poorly written public policy proposals" by working the back channels at ATF, US DoS and the US Congress.

I am glad they are where they are, doing what they do!

Richard

Actually you have this one buttbackwards Richard.

What has been established in higher Courts inclusive of SCOTUS is the ONLY​ thing 2nd Amendment protections indeed do apply towards is to arms generally suitable to militia use.

One can read this a variety of ways but say something like a .410 shotgun really are way outside those rulings

Now a select fire weapon in a common chambering ?

That's easily arguable as generally suitable

particularly if it's in current use by DoD

This goes back to the standard established in Miller affirming his conviction under the new NFA

The government's argument was that a sawed off shotgun was not generally suitable to use by a public militia

It's an intriguing nuance as under it a fudd gunners Browning over and under shotty wouldn't have Constitutional protection yet a M16 would

We can diverge even further

If you can not apply a tax to limit access to Voting it's equally unlawful to apply taxation to limit access to protected classes of arms isn't it

This is basic Constitutional Law 101

Now let's take it a bit further Richard...

How about heavy weapons ?

Well up until 1968 there was no such thing as a DD

yeah one could lawfully buy and possess a damn German Railway gun and ammo

There were some transit regulations on explosives but little prevented one from possessing HE ammo until the passage of the GCA

If you had deep enough pockets, in America you were able to own your own battleship and it had been that way since the founding of this great Nation.

There is always a clear and serious degree of outright ignorance regarding the historical backdrop in all this

Here's the deal friend

Up through Teddy Roosevelt rich boys created private armies. Teddy's Rough Riders during the SA War were one of the very last examples of sort of private Militias.

As President TR tried to change that up.

The big issue was the disparity Ted saw in Cuba

You had general Army armed mostly with .45-70 trapdoors

Marines with 6mm Lees

New York State militia using .50-70 rolling blocks

Conneticut issued .45 Peabody

other States, 11mm guns

it was a logistical nightmare in combat

The result was the creation of the National Guard

research the Militia Act of 1903 and the 1916 NDA

Anyways I really have no poops given over what opinions some lower Court vents, it's actually meaningless outside that jurisdiction

The Supremes had their say in the Dirty 30s vis Miller

All I am stating is there is a ton of period context in both the Law and rulings you seem to be overlooking regarding this entire matter.