Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

West Hurley Thompson Ownership Survey

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: West Hurley Thompson ownership poll (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you need a Gunsmith to get your West Hurley Thompson to run reliably ?

1. Yes (22 votes [41.51%])

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

2. No (31 votes [58.49%])

Percentage of vote: 58.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

I voted no.  My first year production WH 1928 (bought new in 1978) ran perfect from day one. It came will all GI parts except for the buffer and welded up M1A1 mag catch to work with a drum.  Still runs to this day.  

#22 darrylta

darrylta

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2455 posts
  • Interests:Collecting; Thompson SMGs, Commercial BAR's and Colt circa 1920's / 30's handguns. Life Time NRA, NFATCA, WVCDL, USCCA & TCA member and a Constitutional Conservative aka,,, a Tea Party Guy.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

I voted yes, like yes X5 times. I did it to have perfect functioning guns for myself

and my sons or the next owners. I've since sold one the Hurleys at a break even

cumulative cost. (2) WHurleys, (1) early M1 and (2) Colts.

Worth every penny.

Darryl

#23 cbmott

cbmott

• Board Donor
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Not being in New Mexico

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

Gents reading this in 2019... even though this thread hasn’t been responded to since 2017 I think it’s worth while to keep adding to the list as new WH owners who are just getting into the market are going to be curious about the experiences other WH owners have had with needed to get their Thompson worked on or not. Also from reading back posts I can make an educated guess that the discussion over WH reliability will pop up again. I am not trying to start a debate or argument I just want to give more data points for new and future members who will be reading and researching.

Yes my Thompson needed work. I bought my 28 WH in March of 2018 that was made in 1979 and had GI internal parts except for the buffer pilot. There weren’t too many original GI 1928’s I could find so I went with a WH. When I first shot the gun, it had a bad habit of ripping the spent brass case in half and only extracting the back half while jamming the next round into the chamber that still had the front half of the previous case (Winchester .45 ACP was the ammo if anyone is curious). Luckily a nice pull on the actuator extracted it all but this would happen every 10 or so rounds. Dan Block was able to get it running smoothly with some modifications to the chamber and some small milling in a few areas. The gun itself is in great shape and the Blish slots aren’t that bad so I lucked out more than a few other members I’ve read about. Unfortunately PK told me he isn’t accepting additions to his wait list since It’s too long (current as of Feb 2019) so that won’t be happening but I’m not too concerned as it’s in good shape and is just showing normal wear from use.

#24 timkel

timkel

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1221 posts
  • Interests:NRA Patron member
    Atlas Shrugged

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:40 AM

Gents reading this in 2019... even though this thread hasn’t been responded to since 2017 I think it’s worth while to keep adding to the list as new WH owners who are just getting into the market are going to be curious about the experiences other WH owners have had with needed to get their Thompson worked on or not. Also from reading back posts I can make an educated guess that the discussion over WH reliability will pop up again. I am not trying to start a debate or argument I just want to give more data points for new and future members who will be reading and researching.

Yes my Thompson needed work. I bought my 28 WH in March of 2018 that was made in 1979 and had GI internal parts except for the buffer pilot. There weren’t too many original GI 1928’s I could find so I went with a WH. When I first shot the gun, it had a bad habit of ripping the spent brass case in half and only extracting the back half while jamming the next round into the chamber that still had the front half of the previous case (Winchester .45 ACP was the ammo if anyone is curious). Luckily a nice pull on the actuator extracted it all but this would happen every 10 or so rounds. Dan Block was able to get it running smoothly with some modifications to the chamber and some small milling in a few areas. The gun itself is in great shape and the Blish slots aren’t that bad so I lucked out more than a few other members I’ve read about. Unfortunately PK told me he isn’t accepting additions to his wait list since It’s too long (current as of Feb 2019) so that won’t be happening but I’m not too concerned as it’s in good shape and is just showing normal wear from use.

Congrats...Good info keep it coming. 

#25 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

I no longer own my '84 vintage WH 28, I have replaced it with a Savage M1.

The WH came with some GI internals and some not.  While I owned it, I had a gunsmith replace the junk rear sight with a Lyman, replaced the junk WH guide rod and buffer with a GI rod and urethane buffer, added a Wolff recoil spring, and replaced the junk cast WH actuator which broke in two at the slot for the Blish lock. The sight was the only change that required a smith and that had nothing to do with reliability.  It ran fine until it didn't - the actuator.

I sent PK photos of the Blish slots in the receiver.  He said that he'd seen worse but still recommended that I not shoot it much.  His waiting list was 3 years ± and I decided that I didn't want to wait that long

Edited by StrangeRanger, 27 June 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#26 El Duce

El Duce

• Regular Group
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:23 AM

I am still waiting on my WH M1 to transfer.   I have my fingers crossed that it should be any day or week by now.   It may need some work.   I bought a parts kit in the mean time.   I am patient.  

#27 Vettom

Vettom

• Board Benefactor
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:TSMGs, guns, more guns and C3 Corvettes

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:27 AM

I too am awaiting transfer. Although my WH has been corrected and PKd it has reportedly run without issues with 28 or 21 internals as per Sandman57 and former owner.

#28 wv1928

wv1928

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's and all other guns especially full auto's.

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

When I purchased mine there were some minor parts  parts missing like the oilier and a buffer and it "Hiccuped "  yeah right.  it would fire and jam every two or three rounds.  I was told by board members to buy a parts kit and replace the lower with GI. parts.  I bought two parts kits that came from Russia.  I bought two of them for $650.00 each.  Both sets were complete sets minus the uppers.  Both sets were new.  I replace the lower and installed one of the oilier and the buffers crumbled when i picked them up for the first time.  I installed a urethane buffer, oiled it well and proceeded to try it out and it ran great.  The over all condition of the gun was beautiful.  I waited a long time to get a Thompson and went threw a lot of trouble before I could take possession of it.  I had to get the ATF involved before I finally got it.  So I will vote " NO " on your survey.  

#29 mnshooter

mnshooter

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 2073 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

I no longer own my '84 vintage WH 28, I have replaced it with a Savage M1.

The WH came with some GI internals and some not.  While I owned it, I had a gunsmith replace the junk rear sight with a Lyman, replaced the junk WH guide rod and buffer with a GI rod and urethane buffer, added a Wolff recoil spring, and replaced the junk cast WH actuator which broke in two at the slot for the Blish lock. The sight was the only change that required a smith and that had nothing to do with reliability.  It ran fine until it didn't - the actuator.

I sent PK photos of the Blish slots in the receiver.  He said that he'd seen worse but still recommended that I not shoot it much.  His waiting list was 3 years ± and I decided that I didn't want to wait that long

Pretty much mirrors my WH 28 experience, plus I also replaced the WH mag catch, sear, pinned levers, and grip mount with the real thing.

The WH "True M1" got a new bolt, guide rod, sear, and buffer, plus the mag well clearance work usually needed on these.

Did get on PK's wait list.  Made it to the top 5-1/2 years later, so made use of his talents on another project a couple of years back.

Didn't know PK has closed the wait list.  Hope everyone there makes it to the top.

Edited by mnshooter, 30 June 2019 - 10:53 PM.

#30 RogerD

RogerD

• Regular Group
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

I just bought mine last month. Serial # is in the 1200's so I suspect it was manufactured in the late 70's. The way the snails at the ATF and FBI are working I'll be lucky if I get it in a year.  That's the bad news.  Good news is the SOT is a friend so I'll get to shoot it about once a month.  I'll get back after a few range sessions.

#31 Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

My first purchase was a 1928 WH ,late production like 1985. I shot only 2 mags thru it. It ran perfect

when i heard about the long wait list for PK, i sold mine for 22k after Rock Island's commish (super lucky) and bought a M1a1

When WW2 guns sell in the low 20's and WH's seem so close in price, get the WW2 one.

Just my 2 cents

#32 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2496 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

I have never owned a West Hurley but have had quite a few of them pass
thru the shop. These are guns that had assorted problems and were sent for
repair. In most cases we were able to fix the problems and get the guns
running but a few of them I recommended that the owners contact Paul.
I think the important thing is for anyone considering buying a WH is that
they must inspect the gun to check for the obvious faults as it makes no
sense to go thru all of the time and trouble and end up with a gun that does
not work.
One of the guns we had was a M1 and the bolt pocket was grossly
over-sized plus the receiver was bowed along the front-rear axis. There
was so much extra space in the bolt pocket that the bolt would jump the
sear.

Bob

#33 Uncle Dudley

Uncle Dudley

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Hot Rods and Thompsons

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:37 PM

I voted "no".  My 1977 production 28 ran fine but from information I got on this board I could see that it needed a "PK" enhancement, due to visible flaws in internal receiver machining.  I'm glad I had PK do his fine craftsmanship on my WH 28.  It is better than new and should last several lifetimes, as I pass it down through the family.

Attached Files

#34 Moose1

Moose1

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:28 AM

I voted No.       I acquired my WH 28 from a friend from our group who was in bad health. The WH functioned fine, but after reading all the info on this site, I changed all the internal parts and lower to USGI to be on the safe side.  Next will be that rear sight, that comes loose every time I shoot it.

I looked at my blish lock slots after learning about the issues. The slots look fine and will continue to shoot it until I notice something. 

The WH will eat anything I load in the mags.

I would love to upgrade to a USGI model, but the only one I found close to the $20k mark was so mismatched and beat up.

Moose

#35 RogerD

RogerD

• Regular Group
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:19 PM

Had my WH out at the range last weekend with my SOT who currently has custody.  The first mag was a run away so we stopped shooting the gun.  My SOT wanted to take it to the machine gunsmith for inspection.  Apparently the first round smashed the old buffer to pieces and bits of it got into the fire control group jamming the sear.  Problem diagnosed and repaired in 10 minutes.  No charge.  I voted no because had we taken the time we could have discovered this rather obvious problem and remedied ourselves with a good cleaning.

Edited by RogerD, 14 August 2019 - 01:37 PM.

#36 El Duce

El Duce

• Regular Group
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:34 PM

I will be picking up mine tomorrow!!!   Probably shoot it as is, I am going to bring a complete lower and a bolt to swap out at the range.   I am super excited!   11 month wait!   For a gun that has sat in a safe for 20 years now!

#37 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2484 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

I bought a LNIB WH M1, not a '28. The M1 would shoot about three rounds and then have some kind of failure. PK did a great job of squaring it away. At my request, he made it look like an early WWII M1 TSMG, with a bright bolt, paddle-style pivot and safety, milled sling swivels and grip mount, and "L" rear sight. Gone is the original overly glossy, slab sided appearance. All parts of the gun are from an original unissued M1 (not M1A1) parts kit except for the frame and receiver. Glad I asked PK to mark the gun with is diamond K logo. 

Attached Files

#38 RogerD

RogerD

• Regular Group
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:42 PM

I'm Jealous.  I had contact with him last week and was advised his "queue was untenable" and was not accepting any more work.

#39 cbmott

cbmott

• Board Donor
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Not being in New Mexico

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

I'm Jealous.  I had contact with him last week and was advised his "queue was untenable" and was not accepting any more work.

PK told me the same in February that he just has too much work currently to add to his wait list. Depending on what you need you can ask Deerslayer, reconbob, or look up John Andrewski for work on your Thompson. I know Andrewski does re-blue receivers to whatever you desire and does the machine work for the Blish slots. Deerslayer did great work on my WH chamber to fix jamming I had, swapped out the buffer pilot and made a new stock set that is gorgeous. I’m not advertising for anyone in particular, just giving you a few options should you need them. Maybe also give it a year-ish and see if PK’s list has gone down enough to get on it but I just don’t see the demand going down.