Mp44 On Gunbroker

james m

What does everyone make of this Gunbroker listing?

Jim

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=236434351

First I don't like the attitude. Anyone that thinks the rules are black and white and will call people with different interpretations an "idiot", is well an... OK I will just say that they may not have had every possible experience in their 25 years of dealing with rules and regulations. Personally I have found that even being right can be really expensive to prove, so it is best to stay away from things that a lot of people will think are wrong.

I am of the school that you stay far, far away from the gray areas, which means that:

1. This could fall into the "once a machine-gun always a machine gun". I see no signs that it was ever destroyed and rebuilt as a semi. In fact he says that only the trigger group was modified originally, which means by ATF rules it was a machine gun. The modifications he later made IMO don't meet the level required for destruction. He is wrong IMO about it having to have once been registered for this to apply.

2. It may be true that you don't need your semi-auto design approved by the BATFE, but if you don't have it approved you are betting that some 25 year old federal agent is going to apply the same standards you felt were OK, and they might be doing this 30 years from now when things are very different than today. I'd want to have in writing that the design was approved.

Edited by wwiifirearms

Quote:

"He is wrong IMO about it having to have once been registered for this to apply"

I couldn't agree with you more here.

You also make IMO a very valid second point about getting any approved semi-auto design in writing.

Jim

Edited by james m

Well , I dare anyone to walk into the BATF head office with a full auto MG NOT in thier regestry and go "NA-Na-NANANA , this isn't in your registry so it's not a machine gun!!!" Secondly , if the gun is in the registry , and it is made into a semi-auto only or even a single shot , it is not removed from the registry , mearly a note will be made of the change. It does have to be totally destroyed (the reciever ) to be removed. Most of the semis being built are using new , made /machined for semi only recievers of approved designs. Some are made from welded / rebuilt FA reciever pieces that were scrap rated , most on approved designs.

I agree his attitude is a turn off , and I am staying far from this at any price .

Chris

It's a real nice gun and it is 100% all matching. It is a Haenel mfg (like most). I went to see the gun two weeks ago. Honest wear to original finish and a perfect, mint bore. I couldn't find any dents, pitting or active rust anywhere. Even the wood looked good.

Its the kind of gun that always comes available when I'm broke!!!!!I was trying to work a trade but Mr. Mitchell wants cash for it.

Nice guy! He had me over and showed me a lot of his guns. He is an old time class 3 dealer; the kind that would do a deal on a handshake!

If I had the money or thought I would anytime soon, I would be having that gun papered to me! He's even got original magazines and WWII ammo for the ammo collector. Times must be tough for everybody. I'm amazed that the gun is still for sale.

If you are thinking about buying it you couldn't find a more friendly and honest seller.

I got a couple of pictures of it.

I tried posting but they wouldn't work. Email me and I'll send them to you.

What does everyone make of this Gunbroker listing?

Jim

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=236434351

First I don't like the attitude. Anyone that thinks the rules are black and white and will call people with different interpretations an "idiot", is well an... OK I will just say that they may not have had every possible experience in their 25 years of dealing with rules and regulations. Personally I have found that even being right can be really expensive to prove, so it is best to stay away from things that a lot of people will think are wrong.

I am of the school that you stay far, far away from the gray areas, which means that:

1. This could fall into the "once a machine-gun always a machine gun". I see no signs that it was ever destroyed and rebuilt as a semi. In fact he says that only the trigger group was modified originally, which means by ATF rules it was a machine gun. The modifications he later made IMO don't meet the level required for destruction. He is wrong IMO about it having to have once been registered for this to apply.

2. It may be true that you don't need your semi-auto design approved by the BATFE, but if you don't have it approved you are betting that some 25 year old federal agent is going to apply the same standards you felt were OK, and they might be doing this 30 years from now when things are very different than today. I'd want to have in writing that the design was approved.

OOps! Sorry, wrong gun. I was talking about the real transferable MP-44 for sale in Ft Payne, AL. Sorry!