Hardcase

Can you give me a couple of ideas as to where to find repros? Saw some at Know Creek but didn't have a Thompson so didn't even pick up a card darn it.

Mark

Mark

I cut and pasted a post from Greg Fox on this subject from not too long ago. Greg makes reproduction cases and was at KCR.

Michael

Michael:

Our cases are $539 for the Police and FBI models and $589 for the Indiana model. Shipping averages $28 UPS depending on your location. Pictures are available and there is plenty of feedback from purchasers on this board and others.

Jerry Prasser is also marketing a very good FBI case you might want to look at. I don't know how to contact him but I'm sure some one on this board will.

Thanks for your interest,

Greg Fox

(407) 339-1001

afox919853@aol.com

I was looking closely at the pictures. I see no provision for a metal spare parts kit, ie. not strap.

Now I am sure that anything is possible but an original FBI case without a provision for a metal spare parts kit seems odd to me.

I am not anywhere to try and read if any mentions of similar cases were observed by Cox, Hill or whoever, maybe one of our RKI board members can chime in on this observation.

Oh I also liked his ad stating they will ship to United States, Australasia, Europe, Canada BUT will only accept USPS money order. Sure would be one expensive trip to the US from Australasia, and Europe to come buy a USPS money order!

michael

He also has a "original" book but it sure looks like a repro to me. To white looking to be original. And the case has no place for a parts box, just a rod.

As Ron (colt21a) stated it appears to be original, but is hard to tell from the photos. It would have to be examined in person.

There was no "official" original design for these cases and Auto-Ordnance never manufactured them. Copies could have been made by any competent luggage manufacturer based on the design of the FBI and police style cases. I'm sure some police agencies saw a case and contracted with someone to make one up for them. The lack of a spare parts box and provision to hold one doesn't mean the case pictured isn't an original made for some police agency.

This is just an educated guess, but I would venture to say the case was not made in the 1930s based on the size of the cleaning rod pictured. The original cleaning rods with the Colt guns were the longer version. The cleaning rod pictured is an early WWII variety brass rod, not issued until the military adopted the 1928A1 Model. I would bet the case is of post WWII or early 1950's manufacture for a police or FBI gun.

Nothing to substantiate this, just a guess based on the appearance and aging of the case.

There are way more FBI/PD cases made post WWII floating around than there are the original type worth the $1,500-$2,500. Yet there are many sellers who don't differentiate an original from a repro if the case was made at least 40-years ago. There is no way to really authenticate when this case was made without any identifying sticker or hardware information. If it was made 40-years ago, as opposed to 5 minutes ago, would it be worth $1000? No. When there are repro cases that can be had for $500-$600 why spend double, or triple, for a case made at an undeterminate period and by an unknown entity? How would this owner be able to guarantee the authenticity himself? Probably with the usual, "Oh, I was told by the previous owner that it was."

In a related question, has anyone ever found an original violin or viola case, original and documented, as being used as a Thompson case, during the gangster era? I was curious if anyone on this board might have a picture of one to post for us.

Sgt,

Here is the picture I originally posted several months ago under the topic, "The 1930's Rust's Long Lost Violin Case."

It was taken from the Chicago Daily News photo archives showing the Chief of Police holding a confiscated Thompson sometime in the 1920's.

It was taken around the time of the Hymie Weiss murder and may, in fact, be related to that incident.

http://members.aol.com/gijive/Violin.jpg

I have a case visually identical to that old 1920's picture. The Thompson most assuredly will not fit in it without removing the foregrip, plus modifying the innards...

yeppers I agree with you ronnie... can't even fit the stockless gun in their let alone all the other stuff.... just a pubilicity photo, like when they arrest someone with an arms "cache" consisting of 20 guns and "thousands" of rounds of ammo all laid out on a table.... I probably have 10k in .22 that would look good in the paper...

I didn't profess it to be other than a publicity photo. I think the question was whether a documented photo of a violin( actually a viola) case used during the gangster era existed. I agree that the parts wouldn't fit properly without some modification. I think there must have been some basis for the Chicago Police to arrange such a photo during that time. It certainly wasn't the era of "spin" and if you know anything about Chicago during that time, the officials always downplayed the Thompson stuff. They were getting too much bad publicity the way it was. The Chicago Police were not on the cutting edge of ordering Thompsons for their officers. Graft and corruption was so rampant that they were probably reluctant to buy any to begin with. One of the original theories about the St. Valentine's Day Massacre was that the cops had something to do with it anyway.

Enjoy the picture for what it's worth. It's an original documented photo from the era. I think that is what Sgt was inquiring about. Staged or not, it's an original old photo.

"It certainly wasn't the era of "spin" and if you know anything about Chicago during that time,"

Are you kidding it was one of the ultimate eras of spin... As you even said in your statements,"downplayed the Thompson stuff." = spin. You ever see all the stock footage breaking up all the liquor equipment. People learned a lot of their news from the newsreels played at the local Ritz Theater..... Who do you think were involved in there production. They have been spinning the news/truth/outrightlies, since Cain and Able. Especially when you're talking the FBI! You remember the pretty director in the white chiffon dress, ole J Edgar......

btw I didn't mean to insinuate that you were trying to pass the photo off for anthing other than what is was....