Current wait time for Eform 1 approvel?

If you get an instant "proceed" for the background check, they're running ~3 weeks. If you get flagged for the background check, go ahead and get a nice thick book. You get to wait in the back of the line. There is no law stating how long the FBI has to return the background check for NFA items, so they get back burnered. Other background checks they perform which must be completed in a timely manner by law come first. I've got an efile form 1 from about October 5 still waiting. I'm not expecting to see that one until about Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Congrats on your Tax Stamp!

Gotta admit though... I am confused about wait times between Paper & E-File.

I am in 110 days on my current Paper Form 1 (Thompson SBR). It appears that I have a way to go.

I thought E-File was taking a matter of weeks, NOT months!

And what is the "instant proceed" thing?

My last (and first ever) Paper Filing (AR15 SBR) took 193 days from check cashed until stamp in hand.

Have things slowed down???

If it took you 220 days on E-File is my Paper File gonna take a year or more?

Once approved by ATF it should be a simple matter of sending your docs and $$$ to them and getting your new stamp within a couple of weeks.

This whole process really bites!!!

:angry2:

Edited by Hossbreed45

Congrats on your Tax Stamp!

Gotta admit though... I am confused about wait times between Paper & E-File.

I am in 110 days on my current Paper Form 1 (Thompson SBR). It appears that I have a way to go.

I thought E-File was taking a matter of weeks, NOT months!

And what is the "instant proceed" thing?

My last (and first ever) Paper Filing (AR15 SBR) took 193 days from check cashed until stamp in hand.

Have things slowed down???

If it took you 220 days on E-File is my Paper File gonna take a year or more?

Similar to when you go into a gun shop to buy a gun, when they do the NICS check, it can come back with a PROCEED, DELAY, or DENY. If its instant proceed, you can take your shit and hit the road. If its delay, that means they'll get back to the FFL with an answer later. According to federal law, they're supposed to try really hard to get the results back to the FFL in a few days. Even if they don't, the FFL can release the gun to the buyer after those few days.

For the NFA stuff, its a similar background check. But there's not that nice little 3 day rule. If you get a delay, you just get a delay. The NFA examiner working on your form puts it in a big pile until the FBI gets back to them with an answer.

All of my recent paper-filed forms have been coming back in around 10-13 months. My only guess is that somebody else with a similar name to mine has a criminal record and is a real jackass and it causes my BG checks to get delayed. I've tried calling the FBI to get clarification or any steps I can do to speed up the process in the future. They are not interested in helping you out in any way, shape, or form. Doesn't matter if I've just passed a check. Next time I resubmit, I get delayed again. Even if I submit using the "Here's my trust. I've been approved in the most recent 24 months" route, it doesn't speed up anything.

What's really gonna get your goat is there is no law saying that you need to do an fbi background check during the NFA process. Thats just some "ATF Internal procedure" fuckery they started doing on their own. And when you do a form 4 through a dealer, you have to do a 4473 and another NICS check before they can give you your NFA item. Double background checks on store bought silencers. Thats government logic for you.

Edited by giantpune

• 2 weeks later...
My eForm 1 was submitted on 9 May, with fingerprints mailed as required. I've never used the e-file option before, so I wait with interest to see how fast this goes compared to my paper applications.

My eForm 1 was submitted on 9 May, with fingerprints mailed as required. I've never used the e-file option before, so I wait with interest to see how fast this goes compared to my paper applications.

9 May submitted. Approved today -less than a month !! E stamp and all

• 1 year later...

I have two sbrs, my first was an AR .45 pcc and the second is my 1927 AO Thompson that Dan did. But whats the wait time going to become if Biden decides that all our AR pistol lowers need to be registered as sbrs to stay legal?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, why paper and not e-file?

Not in a real hurry to get it back and if I screw it up they will send it to me for correction . E file and gets messed up and you get to start all over . This is my first one on a trust with all the new rules in place, prints ,photos, ect . It was easy before. now it's a semi pain in the A**.