I Know It's O T But....

Coming this Sunday on CBS's 60 Minutes:

(CBS) A military rifle capable of piercing armor from over a mile away is too readily available to civilians, and could end up in terrorists' hands, say critics of the .50-caliber weapon that is for sale in 49 states.

Correspondent Ed Bradley reports on the big gun that was recently banned in California for 60 Minutes, Sunday, Jan. 9, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

"I think it's a great thing on the battlefield," says one of the weapon's chief critics, Tom Diaz of the Violence Policy Center in Washington, D.C.

"I just think there are certain occasions when we say in our society, this product is such a threat to our health and safety...our national security, we will not allow it," he tells Bradley. "Thousands have been sold to civilians and, as far as federal gun laws go, it is treated like any other hunting rifle."

Diaz argues the rifle can be used to pierce and blow up chemical storage tanks from afar, affording the terrorist an easy escape.

"The point is you can plan your attack from a longer distance. It's the combination of range and power," says Diaz, who fears there will be deadly results from such an attack on containers of toxic or flammable materials.

Diaz also fears the powerful gun could be used to shoot at aircraft that are landing or taking off. The potential danger the .50-caliber poses to aircraft taxiing on the runway or parked at the gate was outlined in a Rand Corporation report on terror vulnerabilities at Los Angeles International Airport. The report saw no way to protect the planes.

The gun's inventor, who sells the weapons to civilians for sport and to armies around the world, says Diaz could be right, but is being reckless.

"Yes it could be [used in those terrorist scenarios], but it's also seeming, begging someone to commit this crime. 'Somebody please commit this crime so I can validate what I've been saying so long,'" says Ronnie Barrett of Barrett Firearms Manufacturing.

"It's kind of a classic gun industry argument," says Diaz. "First they deny there's a problem and then when something happens, they point the finger at people who tried to warn about it."

Barrett points out that the gun's extreme size and weight make it an unlikely weapon of choice for criminals.

"As far as the abuses with .50-caliber rifles, they are so few, if any, that all other calibers ought to aspire to have as good a record as it has," he tells Bradley. "It's a target rifle. It's a toy...a high-end adult recreational toy."

As for terrorism, Barrett says, "Any rifle in the hands of a terrorist is a deadly weapon."

Diaz is hoping Congress will pass a law requiring that the names of owners of .50-caliber rifles be kept on file.

"No one in the U.S. government knows who has these guns," he says.

I watched it.

One of those reports that does really tell you much except to show yet another item that terrorist "could" use just to stir the pot.

I believe in the comment by Barrett saying all this does is NOT bring light to any problems but rather give terrorist more ideas. (of something like that). Of course Diaz says it is a common excuse, but like aobut the latest problem we.....

Some government persons says terrorists can use lasers against pilots and now we have reports of people using their lasers against planes. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Yeah that's what I mean, Lasers are being used by someone on flying aircraft. Where is the hue and cry to ban Laser ownership by civilians? But just because it could be used they ban the Barrett. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif That's Bull...

This post needs to stay alive...this is a very important fight we are getting into.....we must start fighting this RIGHT NOW with full force....i personally own a .50 rifle and there aint no SOB gonna take it from me......i just reserved the domain name 50bmgban.com ......it might be the next clinton awb sunset site....i'll be needing some help with news and such to keep people updated on whats going on in the US with .50's etc etc......anyone willing to help with this please email me at gunzinfo@aol.com with what you can help me with....emailing news to me.....web design..etc etc.....i can do some web design but some of you might be better than me....idea are very welcome and much needed.......OUT

Hey Jim

Here's the link the CA rules about 50 BMG.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/50bmgfaqs.htm#1

Some highlights about the law ....

" ... Effective January 1, 2005, the .50 Caliber BMG Regulation Act of 2004 regulates the .50 BMG rifles in essentially the same manner as assault weapons. The law generally prohibits the manufacturing, importation, sale and possession of .50 BMG riles. The same basic exceptions that apply to assault weapons will also apply to the new .50 BMG rifle restrictions. For individuals who lawfully possessed .50 BMG rifles prior to January 1, 2005, the new law also provides for the registration and possession of their .50 BMG rifles."

" ... The fee to register a .50 BMG rifle is $25 per person. The per person fee applies to any number of weapons on application form(s) and payment received together by DOJ at the same time. Additional lawful registrations received from the same registrant separately will cost an additional $25. "

Thanks GOD, I don't live in that state ..

One more thing, do you think this will drive the price up on all 50 BMG, guns, ammo, etc ????

it will drive up the cost....mainly if a nation wide ban is set....it will also put most mfg's out of business.....i not only see if as "us" losing our rights...i see it as a threat to national security.....50 is a very good weapon on the battlefield and if there was a ban like this in place before barrett started building these rifles....our soldiers would not have his fine gun.....not to even mention the next generations of weapons development.....that sort of stuff goes back and proves itself....look at the history of browning, colt, etc etc etc.....

If you think about it, its not the weapons that need banned or controlled, but the media!

Ok, so they are protected as well by freedom of speech.

But look at the increased possibilities, they are basically providing the how too, with these various things. FOX News even went to the extent of stating that it is the Green Laser that is the one to use, not the little red ones.

I watched a report about a ring of burglars and they showed, and told how the ring worked in every aspect, including how the ring dealt with alarm systems, where they would search 1st for valuables etc.

The media could market a series of tapes/DVD's to sell to the criminals as educational training. The US government would probably even pay for it if the persons were in lower income brackets. "Earn Your Degree today at Devry Institute" Become the efficient burglar you always admired to be!

Let's all pray that this new Commifornian [.50BMGphobia] disease doesn't spread to the other states! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif