1921 Sold

How Lee Wheaton can make the claim that "less than 500 rounds" were ever fired fom his TSMG since new, based on the actuator wear, is about as accurate a method of determining the amount of use a firearm has had as using the wear on a set of tires to determine the mileage on a vehicle with a broken speedometer.

But compared to L.J. Warren's #147 Colt TSMG priced at $42K, that has considerable wear, it was a bargain.

Unless he has changed the package, the price for L.J.'s#147 Includes an original F.B.I. case; 4 - Colt 20rnd mags; 1 Colt "L" drum; an additional Colt "L" drum (#147); Original 1936 Thompson handbook; and a display box containing Clevland Ohio shirt badges and patches.

That gun in reality is not worth more than the $250 you used to be able to get them for. The problem is this country is loaded with rich people who want to own a Thompson, and guess what? Those who can't or don't want to spend that kind of money for it will be left out in the cold.

People with money who want something will spend what ever it takes to get it. And those who are lucky enough to own a Thompson now should be thanking their lucky stars that have such a nice investment that they can ACTUALLY use.

Thats my take on this whole silly thing. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Jan 21 2005, 02:23 PM)
Bruce,
For the condition that #147 is in, the $7000, give or take, of accessories don't elevate a 80%-85% Colt TSMG to a $42K figure. There seems to be about $10K of value missing somewhere.

Arthur

I am pleased to know that minds greater than mine put the same value on it. I would have bought the package at 32 or 33 at the oustide, but 42 was way too much.

Additionally, I thought 147 was an 80% gun. Although it was described to me as better than that, I chalk that up to subjective differences in evaluators.

Aside from the fact this Thompson is a desirable 3 digit Colt and does have accessories, if an 80% Colt sells for 42K – 50K minimum for all Colt Thompsons will be just around the corner. Can you imagine the Capital Gains Tax you would have to pay for something you sell for 50K with a cost basis of 5K – wow!

The sale just supports Nick's comments. You wonder if the buyer has been in the Thompson circle prior or is this a first purchase. A long time gun collector or just new to the "hobby"

Safe queen?...Hell No!!...nothin` like lightin` my Cohiba off the end of a vintage Colt comp!... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif