Colt Drums For Sale On Subguns

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Feb 21 2006, 10:43 PM)
Actually there is no confusion, I understood from the beginning...

Okay, sorry just trying to help. I didn't say you were confused. Hope you can determine which rotor was originally in your drum.

QUOTE (gijive @ Feb 22 2006, 09:00 AM)
QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Feb 21 2006, 10:43 PM)
Actually there is no confusion, I understood from the beginning...

Okay, sorry just trying to help. I didn't say you were confused. Hope you can determine which rotor was originally in your drum.

Didn't mean to sound harsh, we are all getting a great free lesson here..... It's all good info.....

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Feb 22 2006, 12:55 PM)
I think the "nickel" rotors were stamped from nickel alloy steel.  They would start out looking pretty shiny, like straight "in the white" steel, but would not discolor as much with age...because the nickel content is not as easily oxidized as steel.  Gijive, have I got this right?

Phil,

I think your assessment is right-on. I am not a metalurgist, I believe PK and other gunsmiths have previously posted excellent opinions about the actual content of the early Thompson nickel steel parts.

Your explanation, however, concisely explains the differences between the nickel alloy steel and nickel plating that seems to cause confusion about specific parts in the early guns and drums. Good job!

"Naturally, as they assure us, Kahr Arms is carrying on with this wonderful tradition of uncompromising quality." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

We can certainly thank our lucky stars for thier attention to quality http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/banghead.gif

Some guys like to tinker and I applaude thier efforts for without them we might not find ways to get things fixed ourselves-

I used to be that way but nowadays I just want everything to run during those few and far between times I get to go shoot-so for me I would rather pay the piper for the good drums than wait for something http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif to possible not work as it should-

Mark

Yet people buy $20,000 Thompsons, sight unseen. And they buy Kahr drums-

This is truly a puzzling conundrum we see all too often and I might add questionable ammo to the list- I understand us trying the Kahr drums there just wasn't/isn't enough of the good drums out there to satisfy our demand-but at this juncture we should know better- Heck I can't wind one of mine I tried enough to run more than 5-6 rounds and these drums were gone over by one of the good guys- I will try again this weekend.

I shudder to use the term cheap as I shoot very inexpensive 8mm through a 40K MG42- some might call it cheap at 8 cents a round vs 24+ for New manufactured stuff-

Regardless of the definitions- putting something questionable into an NFA isn't real prudent in the short or long run.