M1928 Information and Help

Hi All

This is my M1928.

Could you let me know you thoughts on this, is it in correct configuration? Anything jumping out as wildly incorrect? I would appreciate any information in terms of build dates etc (Not specific but maybe by order number year etc) . It is wartime issued, matching numbers with some intriguing further stamps too which I am investigating and trying to verify. Would like your thoughts on the gun and what the value is? Not because i want to sell, but to insure.

post-265594-0-49971500-1611588794_thumb.jpg

post-265594-0-93405500-1611588853_thumb.jpg

post-265594-0-76774500-1611588889_thumb.jpg

post-265594-0-75667500-1611588918_thumb.jpg

post-265594-0-35091900-1611588934_thumb.jpg

post-265594-0-96603400-1611588944_thumb.jpg

Edited by scottiebooth@hotmail.com

It appears to be an early model Lend Lease gun. Looks about as perfect as they come. I have a Savage gun in a similar configuration in the 512xxx range. Smooth bbl and L sight. Yours with the finned bbl and Lyman rear sight would be accurate for an early production model. The swing swivel was placed by the British if I recall. Late models like mine had the aforementioned smooth barrel and the sling swivel attached to a horizontal foregrip, not a pistol grip. Your smoth fire control levers and flat ejector would also be accurate for that gun. Value? Id's say in the $20K+ range over here... If you don't have Frank's American Thunder II or III, lots of information on those guns. IMO. R

It fought Nazis. Very historic piece of world history you have there. How is it deactivated? R

I think the actuator may have been replaced as its not chequered.

The butt I believe is correct for a M1928 model from what I see, it was the only model to have that cross bolt? .. M1928A1 was smooth and onwards M1 etc .

The foregrip doesnt look to be a replacement I have to say having seen quite a few and from an independent Armourer and expert view I sought. From what I have researched on this site the sling swivel is consistent with British wartime application too.

Bob

Thats an interesting take, this we thought actually was a possible run into the LRDG link. It would have to be a massive coincidence with that link and a higher serial number.

Would the serials run that high for the model? And would there be the interchangeability between the later models?

Edited by scottiebooth@hotmail.com

Welcome to the board Scottie.

I believe the lower has been force matched to the receiver. I'm not sure that 265826 was the original number on the lower either as there appears to be a very faint 5 or S in front of the numbers. Perhaps the lower was heavily buffed at some point.

The receiver is the third version. Bridgeport replacing New York as the address.. I can't see any British inspector proof marks but the low serial number would lead me to think it was pre lend lease. Originally it would have had a knurled actuator and probably knurled selector levers. Without checking my references I'd guess mid 1940 (maybe August).

I think the actuator may have been replaced as its not chequered.

The butt I believe is correct for a M1928 model from what I see, it was the only model to have that cross bolt? .. M1928A1 was smooth and onwards M1 etc .

The foregrip doesnt look to be a replacement I have to say having seen quite a few and from an independent Armourer and expert view I sought. From what I have researched on this site the sling swivel is consistent with British wartime application too.

scottiebooth,

The front grip is not an original Savage grip, it is a reproduction. It actually looks like a Model Gun Corporation (MGC) grip from the 1970's. The grip doesn't fit the grip mount properly, either. The cross-bolt reinforced buttstock is not correct either, it is from approximately 1943. Your receiver was made in 1940. The original buttstock would not have had the reinforcing cross-bolt.

Edited by gijive

Scottie,

As others have noted, the foregrip is definitely a post-war reproduction. The British did install swivels on the vertical foregrips, but they were installed with the base horizontal just under the top ridge. You can find them installed on either the left or right side.

Also, the swivel installed on your grip is a stamped U.S. swivel. Those did not appear on Thompsons before the M1s. The British used Enfield offset swivels for the vertical foregrips.

I also agree that the lower serial number is force matched. I am not certain the one crossed out (265326) is the original or not. I have seen a large number of Thompson lowers in the UK with more than one serial number, and none of them original.

That said, do not worry about the non-matching lower. You have a nice gun there and should enjoy it. The upper is a great low Savage serial number before lend-lease, and I suspect all of the parts are original, with the obvious exceptions created by the deactivation (like the smooth actuator).

Thank you for sharing your gun with us.

Edited by TSMG28

Thanks Guys

Really constructive comments and I really appreciate the honesty. It look like I need to find a new foregrip!

The interesting piece here is the LRDG link, the 265# also corresponds almost exactly with the service numbers of the very Coldstream Guardsmen who were in LRDG G2 at the exact same time.. there is a thought that this maybe a link? Unusual and I am not aware of service number ever being stamped onto a weapon or unit, freakish coincidence? Quite possibly but what are the chances??

I think by virtue of the fact these weapons were seeing serious action in these type of units, field repairs were highly likely too.

I would still be interested given these details what the insurance value would be?

Thanks Guys

Really constructive comments and I really appreciate the honesty. It look like I need to find a new foregrip!

The interesting piece here is the LRDG link, the 265# also corresponds almost exactly with the service numbers of the very Coldstream Guardsmen who were in LRDG G2 at the exact same time.. there is a thought that this maybe a link? Unusual and I am not aware of service number ever being stamped onto a weapon or unit, freakish coincidence? Quite possibly but what are the chances??

I think by virtue of the fact these weapons were seeing serious action in these type of units, field repairs were highly likely too.

I would still be interested given these details what the insurance value would be?

I concur with my esteemed colleagues on there assessment of your gun. As far as value for insurance purposes, since this is almost certain never to be reactivated again, insure it for what you paid for it since it is no longer a firearm, it won't be imported to the US for sure where it would be it's most valuable.

Mike Hammer

I concur.jpg

Bright actuator on this one.

http://www.fototime.com/EE756A0EE3860FD/standard.jpg

No factory-original wood had the crossbolt, which is a later field modification (and replacement spare butts, which remain plentiful, had it)

Edited by Mk VII