C&R’s, 5320’s and the NFA

Good morning,

Ive had my C&R license for just about 15 years. I now own a C&R 1928 thompson. I know I can buy things through interstate commerce on my license, but can I take my Thompson out of state without filing a 5320 being a licensee?

Thanks,

Gregg

As long as it is a state that allows MGs you are good to go without a 5320. You will need to check if the state you are going to has any registration requirements such as Virginia or other requirements above that required by ATF.

Roscoe,

Thanks for the response, im talking just a short visit for a shoot or something, then back home, same same? I wanted to make sure it was understood that Im not looking at a permanent move.

Edited by gregg877

What about any states you pass through from point A to point B and back ?

Little side trips to see family / friends on the way ?

Chris

Drive carefully and hope you don't get pulled over was the advice given for a return trip from Vermont with a M1917A1 where I had to pass through several unfriendly states.

I usually do put in a 5320 for the 364 days (a full 365 is not allowed, thats straight from the NFA branch) however short suspense things come up, and with return times being 4weeks plus, it would have been nice to get a definitive answer on what I can do with my license. As far as side trips, the destination state is what Ive been led to understand is ok, side trips along the way are not a good idea. Passing through restricted states is fine.

I usually do put in a 5320 for the 364 days (a full 365 is not allowed, thats straight from the NFA branch)...

Sigh, another random piece of misinformation from the "NFA branch"... Jan 1 to Dec 31 is how many days? If you said 365 except in a leap year when it's 366, then you are correct and you would also be correct if you said that's the exact number of days you can file a 5320.20 for.

WRT C&R FFLs, you may travel with any C&R MG to any state where it's legal without a 5320.20. Any trouble you may have in a non-NFA friendly state you transit through would give you the same challenges with your C&R license that they'd give you with a 5320.20, ie. some states suck, try to avoid them while traveling with firearms especially NFA firearms.

B_san,

Thank you for the clarification. A recent conversation concerning my move out of Mass into NH prompted the question of how long I can do a 5320 to bring things out of state, the NFA rep had told me 364 or it would be a permanent move. Just like the FFL regulation book they really should do something for NFA owners. Misinformation is worse than no information.

B_san,

Just like the FFL regulation book they really should do something for NFA owners. Misinformation is worse than no information.

The ATF NFA Handbook Section 13.8 covers every question asked in this thread: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/undefined/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-13/download

Entire handbook: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-firearms-act-handbook

Edited by inertord

• 6 months later...