French Thompsons

I was very amused to read the mix of humour and vitriol generated by my question. But to get back to the original subject, did any of these excellent U.S. made Thompsons ever make it back across the Atlantic? And does anyone know what the serial number range was? I presume from the date they were supplied that they must have been some of the original 15,000 Colt made weapons?

Thanks

Hey Hardrede,

Well I think I must have pushed a personal button or something eh? So you are saying it is because of your family heritage that you have this anti-French attitude? And I take it you are also meaning that since you can trace your heritage to such a great man, then that makes your opinions of the French somehow grounded in - "truth" or something? Interesting. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Also, to quote, "At least I didn't call anyone a redneck " - funny thing is, I didn't call anyone a redneck either. I said, "I live among rednecks, and I hear this crap constantly." It wasn't a direct address to you; It was simply a statement of who I live around and what I constatly hear, and it wasn't even being implied that you were one. I didn't imply it, but it seems you certainly inferred it to apply to yourself. sorry not my words but yours. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Umm.... let's see... as to my definition of a redneck..... I would say that the rednecks that I refer to are people who know very little about what they hold strong opinions about and refuse to change their opinions even in the face of good evidence. They hold that US has a perfect past with no wrongdoings, they hold that they are about perfect with very little wrong doing, they think that "the US can whomp any country that dares to piss us off!" "Let's just Nuke the bastards!" "We whooped the tar out of the enemy in the Rev. War and if it wasn't for us the British would've lost the Fr. & Ind. War!" "We saved the World in WWI and we had to do again in WWII!" "WE is the greatest power on earth and by God everybody better watch out cause we alls gots guns!" LOL of course I am slightly - only slightly joking with that. I live in Oklahoma, and we've got plenty of rednecks who know just enough of history to pee on and think they know something. So if that doesn't describe you then no need to get pissy. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Okay on to the next thing, "character assasinations" ?? well..... I'm reading my post..... don't see a character assassination.... nope... no character assassinations in that. Maybe you could shed some light on what you consider a character assassination?

Yeah, yes, yes. The French helped us for their own petty, selfish reasons. Point is - THEY HELPED US. And without their help, we would most likely have lost. Nevermind the reasons - I'm talking about actions. Heck, the US has done alot of good actions in the past with less than honorable reasons. France is no different than most other countries in the world. Do I think more highly of the US then France? Of course! I'm American! But it is in poor taste to go around insulting other countries.

We have a Great nation with a reasonably good form of government. One reason is because we were able to build it from the ground up - based off of those principles that worked well in the Old World and grounded in good, religious beliefs. Most countries in the world have never had the opportunity that we enjoyed in choosing from scratch how we would govern ourselves.

France went from Monarchy for hundreds of years to a violent Democracy to an even more violent Dictatorship etc, etc, then 1914 comes and they become the battlefield for the largest war in the world. 1940 comes and they are invaded and ruled by Germany for 4 years until we invade and they become a battlefield again. After being liberated, France struggled to recover from the devastation of a war fought in both their front and back yards, and then we are like, "Boy those French are a bunch of pansies who never want war!" Well that might be because they have felt the pain of war to a higher degree than just about any other country on earth. - Food for thought. If WWI and WWII was fought within our borders, I wonder how gung-ho we would be about war and whether we'd still make fun of the French.

We still are a bit embarrassed and angered at the Government for having entered or lost Vietnam..... multiply that to a scale of Viking invasion - 100 years war - bloody revolution - Napoleonic wars - WWI - WWII - French Indo-China. I can understand why they've had their fill of war.

Thank God we haven't suffered as they have. We had only one war fought on our soil and that was between ourselves. Our nation still suffer some scars from that 4 year war that was 140 years ago. Imagine life in France after WWI and WWII. Let's ease off the French bashing and give it a break, okay.

oh by the way - I hope that wasn't a "character assasinations" thing or attempted insult towards me about the "academically and morally challenged" phrase. I dislike name-calling as it isn't helpful in conversations. Were you calling me morally challenged? Surely not! Why would I be "morally challenged" because I object to others insulting countries that are not their own? hmm... a mystery.

LOL, well I thank you for the good time I've had writing this reply and Sorry, didn't mean to write a book.

And pmlogg, sorry about the highjack! back to the original conversation about the French babes! LOL.

LOL hey buddy ol' pal!

you're gonna have to fill me in on the "AF" thing - I don't know the lingo.

Yes that is often a misconception of all Oklahomans - and I know this is petty, but over here we spell it OKLAHOMA. However, I assure you that what you have made is an exaggerated stereotype. Not to worry, alot of people make broad stereotypes of people and places they don't know. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I don't like writing books so I think I shall not. I do like reading books though and am greatly disappointed in finding that you did not repy with one yourself. You must be a busy man, and I will have to let you get back to the more important things in life >like petting a Thompson< instead of wasting your time bickering about futile things over the internet. (even though it is so fun!)

It makes me sad that you will not waste any more time with me... I guess I am not worthwhile. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I've never seen a Frenchman run, but I guess you have. How did I run away like a Frenchman? Oh sorry, I forgot that you are not going to reply anymore since it is, after all, a waste of your time.

Since you aren't going to reply anymore, I'll allow you to be the better man in silence whilst I get the last word in. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Just to go on record that the first insult/attack were from from persons other than myself towards France, I believe...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif yep that's right. And also, I didn't insult you, but if you would like me to I can - if it'd make you feel better. LOL

I'm just joshing with you! Don't be so serious man! ok ok back to the French Thompsons!

WOW! I only called a guy a knothead in joking ( I call everybody a knothead) and got bitched at. Glad I didn't say redneck. If I weren't a redneck I think I'd be mad.

It's fun to hear jokes based on national stereotypes, but I recognize them for what they are -- silly jokes. To seriously bash the population of an entire nation -- any nation -- is just plain silly and doesn't merit a serious response.

Very good post Gunner. Actually I think John had the funniest post of the lot. I'm sitting here reading it at work and had a heck of a time trying to keep from busting out in laughter.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with jokingly picking on things or persons, but continued picking and more serious insults cross the line for me. ok I'm done shutting up.

I dont care for the f_cking french. I am an America, NOT an African American, nor Native American, Nor French American, nor German American, nor Itailan American, nor Japanese American, nor Korean American, nor Arab American, nor any of the other "I am an American and I will attach my heritage onto the front of American for additional identity and government freebies" type.

We should have never sent, or offered to send the worthless french a single TSMG. The french are good cooks and winemakers, they need to stick to that. France is a dirty country too, they are a bunch of filthy little devils. Sleeping with a french winch must be like humping on a gorilla, they dont shave ANYTHING, not even their faces.

As I said before, I dont care for the f_cking french.

QUOTE (John Jr @ May 18 2004, 08:38 PM)

We should have never sent, or offered to send the worthless french a single TSMG.  The french are good cooks and winemakers, they need to stick to that.  France is a dirty country too, they are a bunch of filthy little devils.  Sleeping with a french winch must be like humping on a gorilla, they dont shave ANYTHING, not even their faces. 

As I said before, I dont care for the f_cking french.

Bwahahaha http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

"What a maroon, what an ignoranimous."

I am no fan of French. They can be self-important pains in the ass and de Gaulle was as big a pain as they come (even the French tried to kill him) - but let’s not get carried away.

The French entered the First World War in August 1914 and World War 2 in September 1939, both times to help their allies before they themselves were attacked. They lost 1.3 million military killed in WW1 alone, more than the US military killed in WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam combined. The same is true of their wounded figures – 4.2 million in WW1 alone. In WW2 they lost around the same number of military killed and wounded as the U.S. but also suffered between 270,000 and 470,000 civilians killed.

O.K. They didn’t come to help in the Gulf but they fought alone in Vietnam before the U.S. involvement and when they went to Suez with the British in the late 1950’s there wasn’t much support from Washington.

Franklin Roosevelt sent weapons, including Thompsons to the French in 1939/1940 for the same reason that he supported Britain and others. They were democracies fighting against dictatorships. The French lost, not because they were wimps but because they were not equipped, trained, or properly led for the type of war the Nazis launched against them.

Can we try to avoid politics and keep on topic?