Photo

New video of my M3A1

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:History of warfare technology, Martin Guitars, Authentic BBQ, C&R FFL

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:39 PM

I appreciate your commentary. I have an M16A1 and MP-40 in jail. I’m trying to decide on my next acquisition, between the following choices:

- M3A1
- MP-44
- H&K FA sear (have multiple FA-ready hosts; HK-33, G3, MP-5)

#22 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Military history & martial arms.

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:01 AM

When I went thru training at Fort Knox in 1978 we had a mix of M3 & M3A1 SMG's.
My first duty assignment was at Fort Carson (January 1979) and I became the B company assistant armorer.
We had all M3 Grease Guns and 1911A1's that had been rebuilt at ANAD in the mid 1970's.
I didn't handle any M3A1's until I arrived in Germany late in 1980.
In the B & C Company arms room we had 2 Grease guns for each tank and  I think the M88A1 recovery vehicle and the M113's each had one.
We had very few M16A1 rifles., I never even qualified with one until I changed over from Armor to Signal Corps.
I always enjoyed range time with the Grease Gun and found it to be quite controllable.
In Germany at that time we could not shoot .45's as all we had was combat stocks of ammo, no rounds for training.
AT Fort Carson during Tank Gunnery I got to fire one of the M3's from the loaders hatch at infantry silhouettes while on the move!
Even had a reload, and most important I didn't shoot holes in the sponson boxes on the side of the tank!
I bought my M3 from Bob Landies, its a re-wat.
That is before APEX bought all his Grease gun parts!

Richard

Edited by APEXgunparts, 29 August 2019 - 12:03 AM.

#23 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:History of warfare technology, Martin Guitars, Authentic BBQ, C&R FFL

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:27 AM

It’s amazing to me that the M3 was used that late.

#24 NFA amnesty

NFA amnesty

• Regular Group
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:34 PM

I appreciate your commentary. I have an M16A1 and MP-40 in jail. I’m trying to decide on my next acquisition, between the following choices:

- M3A1
- MP-44

What does your gut tell you?  Really depends if you are trying to complete a collection such as subguns used in WW2 by the U.S or rarity or trying to predict future value.  Since I have a shooter grade M3A1, I would want the MP-43.  The downside on the MP43 from what I see are magazine and parts are skyrocket expensive.

#25 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

- M3A1
- MP-44

A transferable M3A1 will be tough to find, and expensive, few transferables in the registry unless you count Medea's, but I don't.  MP44's are nice, great on the wall, and collectible, but not much for shooting once you've done it a few times.   All three, if nice, are similarly priced.  I'd opt for the sear, especially since you have hosts.  It's awesome to have choices!

#26 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:05 PM

Yes, I started this journey with the standard Saving Private Ryan collection and now I feel like expanding out to German examples. Really I’m looking for examples of the most influential small arms from the WWII and later era, though as you know I have a m1918 BAR and don’t really desire an A2. Also recently acquired a very nice 1928 Navy from a respected board member, because of it’s importance, not so much the gangster angle... though that’s also cool.

The H&K’s are important to me due to their descending from the Stg. 45.

Ultimately I need them all!

Thanks.

#27 michaelkih

michaelkih

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 829 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

I appreciate your commentary. I have an M16A1 and MP-40 in jail. Im trying to decide on my next acquisition, between the following choices:

- M3A1
- MP-44

I own those three, and the decision is easy based on what you want.

For shooting
Sear
M3a1
Mp44

For collecting
Mp44
M3a1
Sear

#28 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

I agree and its collecting then/and shooting.

BTW, saw a video of you 44 and it is beautiful. Did you ever figure out the failure-to-feed problem they were having?

Edited by GaryKeim, 31 August 2019 - 09:09 PM.

#29 michaelkih

michaelkih

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:46 AM

Just hit or miss. Will run 2-3 mags well, then jam up on the next. They are shitty guns honestly. Lol. I own it for what it is and because I got it for cheap.

I agree and its collecting then/and shooting.

BTW, saw a video of you 44 and it is beautiful. Did you ever figure out the failure-to-feed problem they were having?

#30 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 02:22 AM

Hum... worlds colliding. I want a working piece of history and now you’ve got me stymied. If I can’t get one that works, I’ll change direction and go for the M3A1... those work, right? If not, then the HK sear.

#31 Robert Henley

Robert Henley

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Benefactor
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida
    The American Thompson Association

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

Nice video Mike.  The first time I saw a Grease Gun in action in the early 1980s I thought it sure had a slow rate of fire.  It might be interesting to see a semi-auto AR-15 in action and compare the rate of fire at the same time (one person shooting the Grease Gun and another person shooting the AR-15 side-by-side), with the shooter pulling the trigger on the semi-auto AR-15 as fast as he can.  Or maybe my Beretta 1301 Tactical shotgun (same amount of ammo to level the playing field), which has a super fast single rate of fire: www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-tactical/

Robert

#32 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

Hum... worlds colliding. I want a working piece of history and now you’ve got me stymied. If I can’t get one that works, I’ll change direction and go for the M3A1... those work, right? If not, then the HK sear.

I would not be discouraged over one problematic gun.  The  majority work fine.  HK's can have their issues as well just like anything else mechanical.  I had an MP44 with a hole in the chamber, plugged with a bolt and recut.  When fired the case had thread marks on it and the gun ran fine and shockingly, extracted fine.  Of course that got fixed, but I still have that barrel here somewhere.  

As far as finish, 95% of what I've seen has not been refinished, but are original even though some parts are phosphated and some blued late in the war. HTH

#33 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for that encouragement but I actually went with the MP-43 that Ruben has/had and that Bob reactivated. The Grease Gun will have to wait a while... of course, I’ve said that before, even quite recently. Yes, I’ve got a problem.

#34 NFA amnesty

NFA amnesty

• Regular Group
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for that encouragement but I actually went with the MP-43 that Ruben has/had and that Bob reactivated. The Grease Gun will have to wait a while... of course, I’ve said that before, even quite recently. Yes, I’ve got a problem.

Congrats, that would have been my choice.