Mgc Thompson

Guys, I've got an MGC Thompson for sale and its in much better condition than that one. New stainless steel firing pin and I'll add an original horizontal foregrip as well.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/HatchetHarry/images/4-picture1.gif

Edited by Ben

Bought one of these things in the 70's for 100.00. OK for a replica. But put one beside a real Thompson and you will notice the difference in a millisecond. Made of pot metal and doesn't disasemble like a real one. Mine did not shoot blanks. Sold it 10 years ago for 75.00. Guess I should have kept it.

Weren't these the Japanese MGC stamped non guns sold through Replica Firearms of Alexandria, Virginia , who advertised in the back of every gun mag since 1968? I still have my MP-40 I sent away for back in 1972. I also got the TSMG, but that model looked like hell, and would only fool another 12 year- old who might mistake it for being real. Once you are of legal NFA age, these guns definitely loose their allure. And if you reside in an non-NFA state, would anyone, even catching a glimps of them, not know they are toy guns? I guess if you do re-enactmets the TSMG model is O'K'... from a distance, but otherwise, the MP-40 seemed to be their best effort.

Yes, the MGC guns were imported by Replica Models of Alexandria, VA. Tom Nelson headed up the company with his daughter, Tracy. Original target price for the Thompson was $59 retail. Those were the days when the dollar was very strong vs. the yen. As far as I know, Tracy is still is running the new company, Collector's Armoury. The Thompson models are now all resin.

The MP40 model did field-strip just like the original. The Thompson, I never tried too far, so I dunno. They were made of zinc, and tend to oxidize over the years. I've had both, and still have my 2nd MGC Thompson that I got direct from Tracy in 1993.

My 2nd MGC Thompson that I got thru Tracy Nelson (1993) is indeed "a beaut". The finish was damn near Colt blue. I didn't know that there was a variance in quality. Interesting. Last time I corresponded with Tracy, and that's been a while, Dad was still doing fine. Nice family.

Thanks for the additional insight on that stuff, PhilOhio. I still have many catalogs from that company, plus ads in guns magazines from the beginning of the importation of the models.

I just remembered the story of the 1st MGC Thompson I got, in 1971. I was in college; got a note at my apartment mailbox, the yellow one from the Post Office...gotta come pick this box up. Never had gotten one of those before, so I immediately got scared...Oh boy, the local sheriff is gonna meet me and cuff me on the spot. So, I trekked down to the P.O., handed them the yellow slip. They came back with the box, handed it to me, and I (like the dumb kid I was) said, "Is that all"? The clerk looked at me as if to say "I don't want to know, just get outta here". Man, was I jumpin' for joy when I opened the box when I got home. Fun stuff...ah, the joy of youth.

PS: Tom Nelson was the author of at least one book on sub guns, yes?

MGC (Model Gun Corporation Toko Japan) went out of business in 1994. (for as of yet unknown to me anyways reasons) all of the tooling, drawings etc where sold to various companys including Taito, who in 1996-99 reproduced the Thompson for a short period of time. These where improved versions of the original MGC's the mold parting lines were better finished and the polish on the parts was improved. Taito, I believe, produces stand alone video game consoles (like at the amusement parks etc) Anyways, they market some of MGC's older modelguns (and airsoft) Phil, that's a Nakata mp40 they are nice, but they are made out of cast zinc insted of stamped steel.

Phil, the gun I had was made by MCG and was so marked, did not shoot any type of blanks as the chamber was pluged, and as Aurthur said would only have fooled a twelve year old. The finish was a dull blue black color and I bought the thing new in the box from that place in Alexandria, Virginia around 1973. I was happy to get it when I was fifteen but it is nothing compared to the real thing. Anyone who know the slightest about the TSMG would be able to tell it from the real McCoy. Still wish I would have kept so I could trade it for real parts today.

QUOTE (Ben @ Jan 28 2004, 12:39 PM)
Guys, I've got an MGC Thompson for sale and its in much better condition than that one. New stainless steel firing pin and I'll add an original horizontal foregrip as well.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/HatchetHarry/images/4-picture1.gif

For the guys who were asking about buying this Thompson I've got. ...Sorry, but if you're in the USA I don't think I'll be able to post it over from the UK.

Seems like US customs wouldn't like it even though its a toy non-gun.

However, if you know of a way to import it without any problems, I'd love to hear about it..