M3 Grease gun cocking handle mod in the field photo

I thought there was a thread here somewhere on the M3 cocking handle modification usually only seen in Europe , but I couldn't find it.

I was watching the documentary The Ghost Army on Prime last night and there was an image of a US soldier holding an M3 that appears to have the modified handle.

M3 MOD.jpg

Here is a real one found by a friend of mine in Belgium and a picture of two resistance members holding modified M3 grease guns

The story goes that those grease guns had been modified in England before being air dropped to resistance groups in Europe

I have seen a few around here and two that were owned for sure by resistance members.

IMG_7440.jpeg

IMG_7443.jpeg

IMG_8016.jpg

I would worry that the cut would compromise the strength of the tube from outside denting / crushing . Carrying it with the bolt back would perhaps reduce that , though . I might be over thinking this .

Chris

If I had a beater here, I'd consider doing that mod. If I had a postie, it would be done. It looks good, I'm sure functions very well, and is easy to do. As a collector the current handle is kinda cool, but in a combat situation it would be a PITA and doesn't hold up well. Even when new they bend and touch the tube almost just by laying them on a table. Nice pictures!!