Post Office/Marine Corps Thompsons

Wouldn't an AOC sales representative showing up for the photo shoot be a better indicator of a looming sale between the USPS and AOC?

Colt SAA Uberti.jpg

So the photo I posted with Marcellus Thompson present at the demonstration is helping your contention that the USPS purchased TSMGs from AOC?

Backfire.jpg

Arthur,

You are about the only holdout still contending the USPS didn't purchase Thompsons...

David

Backfired again, Arthur...

attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 4.45.07 PM.png

David

Perhaps Lieutenant Colonel Marcellus H Thompson, Vice President of the Auto-Ordnance Company of New York and son-in-law of the US Ambassador to Britain George Harvey, is not at the center of the photo and prevailed upon Cutts do the demonstration is because Marcellus' reputation was still recovering from his June 19th, 1922 appearance in the Federal Court in Newark to plead not guilty to an indictment charging him with conspiracy to ship arms to Ireland in violation of neutrality laws. Even though Harding's DOJ decided not to prosecute Marcellus in 1923, the Coolidge Administration was no fan of former ambassador Harvey who was replaced by Frank Kellogg who then became Coolidge's Secretary of State in 1925.

• 1 year later...

On a recent trip to Quantico, I met a former Marine Captain who has done a lot of research on Cutts in the archives there. I have asked him to see if he could find anything on the PO Thompsons, I also sent him a link to this thread, perhaps he will chime in.

Frank,

Any further correspondence with the USMC Captain?

1926(?) Chicago: USMC guarding U.S. Mail Express Curtiss JN-4H with 1921A TSMG

post-110-0-15167700-1590356360_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-50283300-1590356378_thumb.jpg

President Harding instructed Secretary of the Navy Edwin Denby to meet with Commandant of the Marine Corps Maj. Gen. John Lejeune to "detail as guards for the United States mails a sufficient number of officers and men of the United States Marine Corps to protect the mails from the depredations by robbers and bandits."

April, 1921, Secretary of the Navy Edwin Denby told his new detachment of 50-plus Marines and officers:

"To the Men of the Mail Guard, you must when on guard duty, keep your weapons in hand and, if attacked, shoot and shoot to kill. If two Marines are covered by a robber, neither must put up his hands, but both must immediately go for their guns. One may die, but the other will get the robber, and the mail will get through. When our Corps goes in as guards over the mail, that mail must be delivered, or there must be a Marine dead at the post of duty. There can be no compromise."

• Like 1

Yeah those Marines a pretty bad bunch guarding the mail till death.Art thanks for all the cool and interesting pics and stories over the years.My good friend Dennis from Chicago had a postal registered gun cut in half Colt Receiver on his desk as a paperweight.it was a mint cond. sample. given to him by a postal worker decades ago. {Never did write the serial number down} and now since he has passed i am sure the kids just tossed it away.I had offered to buy it from him when he showed me. And he just said No since he could not put any value on it given to him from a friend.

So much is still hidden with the Thompson gun.And it has always been fun finding out.

post-504-0-66223300-1590359558_thumb.jpg

On a recent trip to Quantico, I met a former Marine Captain who has done a lot of research on Cutts in the archives there. I have asked him to see if he could find anything on the PO Thompsons, I also sent him a link to this thread, perhaps he will chime in.

Frank,

attachicon.gif US Marines guarding air mail TSMG.jpgattachicon.gif US Marines guarding air mail TSMG cu.jpg

President Harding instructed Secretary of the Navy Edwin Denby to meet with Commandant of the Marine Corps Maj. Gen. John Lejeune to "detail as guards for the United States mails a sufficient number of officers and men of the United States Marine Corps to protect the mails from the depredations by robbers and bandits."

April, 1921, Secretary of the Navy Edwin Denby told his new detachment of 50-plus Marines and officers:

>"To the Men of the Mail Guard, you must when on guard duty, keep your weapons in hand and, if attacked, shoot and shoot to kill. If two Marines are covered by a robber, neither must put up his hands, but both must immediately go for their guns. One may die, but the other will get the robber, and the mail will get through. When our Corps goes in as guards over the mail, that mail must be delivered, or there must be a Marine dead at the post of duty. There can be no compromise."

What year did the US Marines carry out their duties guarding the US Mail? I am looking a the date given for Edwin Denby's quote April 1921, is that correct?

Stay Safe

Richard

Frank,

attachicon.gif US Marines guarding air mail TSMG.jpgattachicon.gif US Marines guarding air mail TSMG cu.jpg

>>>"To the Men of the Mail Guard, you must when on guard duty, keep your weapons in hand and, if attacked, shoot and shoot to kill. If two Marines are covered by a robber, neither must put up his hands, but both must immediately go for their guns. One may die, but the other will get the robber, and the mail will get through. When our Corps goes in as guards over the mail, that mail must be delivered, or there must be a Marine dead at the post of duty. There can be no compromise."

What year did the US Marines carry out their duties guarding the US Mail? I am looking a the date given for Edwin Denby's quote April 1921, is that correct?

Stay Safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps